Anti-Aging

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: Anti-Aging
(06-02-2014 02:56 PM)Pippen Wrote:  Would that line up with what David Sinclair is working on? Sorry I am not a scientist but I came across him researching my mothers Macular Degneration. He takes the pills I found for her and they seem to be working (Yay!). If it is good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Sinclair's working on a couple of different things. I've been taking resveratrol for years. It's anti-aging effects are still unclear but its antihyperglycemic effects are pretty much documented and accepted. Fatass prediabetics can use all the antihyperglycemics they can get. What he's been looking at lately is a variant of vitamin B3 - niacinamide. Again it's anti-aging effects are still unclear but its ability to increase glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity are pretty much documented and accepted. I started a thread on it here. Anti-Ageing on the Cheap

And I don't think you need any sorta anti-aging anything at the ripe old age of 22 BrokenQuill. Tongue

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 05:45 PM
Drink a lot of water. That's the biggest thing.
06-02-2014, 07:04 PM
The only anti aging that works:

Earn enough income to keep yourself relatively comfortable: vacations, more than adequate health care, do many of the things that you want.

Laugh a lot

Lifetime friends

Discover your art, dance, music, drawing, or even your job, and nurture it for a lifetime.

Keep learning new things

Embrace, rejoice in, discover, every new decade; make life an adventure!

Keep reasonably fit

Don't rely on face cream etc., superficial fix and all that. it's how you feel inside that should matter most when aging.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
06-02-2014, 07:10 PM
(06-02-2014 04:24 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22206077
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12823436

Those studies concern only photo-aging. If your skin is not primarily sun-damaged you will not see much benefit from topical ascorbate.

Quote:There is literally *so much* in scientific literature about tretinoin and alpha hydroxy acids that to even bother looking any of it up for you would do no good.

The alpha hydroxy acids induce shedding and cell division so if you use those daily you will reach the Hayflick limit of the skin cells earlier than you otherwise would have and you will actually age prematurely. Also most of the evidence for the efficacy of the alpha hydroxy acids concerns photo-aged skin.

I am unsure of the mechanism of action of tretinoin but I think that it too acts as an irritant that promotes shedding and cell division so it too will probably cause you to reach the Hayflick limit prematurely just like the alpha hydroxy acids.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
06-02-2014, 07:15 PM
(06-02-2014 09:14 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  As for being young and helping your skin look better in your older years:
Don't smoke and stay out of the sun. Eat good food and get plenty of exercise & good sleep patterns. Stay away from harsh chemicals use for the face. Use lotion if you have a tendency for dry skin. Not much else matters as far as I know. Thumbsup

Woo-hoo! I agree with something that WS posted.

Also, avoid excessive alcohol consumption.
[+] 2 users Like Chippy's post
06-02-2014, 07:19 PM
(06-02-2014 07:10 PM)Chippy Wrote:  The alpha hydroxy acids induce shedding and cell division so if you use those daily you will reach the Hayflick limit of the skin cells earlier than you otherwise would have and you will actually age prematurely.

That likely explains why those of my friends who put a lot of cosmetics and trending creams on their face actually look older now.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-02-2014, 07:35 PM
(06-02-2014 07:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 07:10 PM)Chippy Wrote:  The alpha hydroxy acids induce shedding and cell division so if you use those daily you will reach the Hayflick limit of the skin cells earlier than you otherwise would have and you will actually age prematurely.

That likely explains why those of my friends who put a lot of cosmetics and trending creams on their face actually look older now.

Alpha hydroxy acids and scrubs are ok if they are used judiciously but they shouldn't be used daily. You skin will look better whilst you haven't reached the Hayflick limit but when you eventually do it will look worse and the alpha hydroxy acids and scubs will stop having any effect. They don't tell you that in the ads or on the packaging.

When you use these products you are in effect trading better skin now for worse skin later. They do help with sun-damaged skin and they can improve shallow acne scars and mild cases of uneven pigmentation but you don't get the new skin cells for free--there is no free lunch. It is a personal subjective choice if you want younger-looking skin now in exchange for prematurely aged skin but you shouldn't go into this--like Cephalotus--clueless about where that fresher looking skin is coming from.

The closest analogy that I can think of is ammunition in a battle. You have a finite amount of ammunition and you can either pace its use and make it last as long as possible or use it indiscriminately and waste it or occasionally use more than normal to inflict a heavier blow against the enemy.
06-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Thank you very much for addressing this. I have Chippy on my ignore list and cannot see his posts.

(06-02-2014 07:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  That likely explains why those of my friends who put a lot of cosmetics and trending creams on their face actually look older now.

The Hayflick limit is open for debate, as stated in the original report, here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11413492

There is good reason to believe it's exact effects aren't quite what Hayflick originally hypothesized, much as people who were wrong about the enzyme bank account. (Not to sound passive aggressive, but I know this because it is *my job* to know it and not because I quickly use google to try to prove people on forums wrong.)

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
06-02-2014, 07:55 PM
(06-02-2014 07:46 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Thank you very much for addressing this. I have Chippy on my ignore list and cannot see his posts.

Dom didn't "address this"--I did. And you can see my posts by just clicking on them.

Quote:The Hayflick limit is open for debate

No, not really, it is the consensus view on skin cell senescence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22872811
06-02-2014, 07:59 PM
(06-02-2014 07:46 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  (Not to sound passive aggressive, but I know this because it is *my job*

Selling skin-care products doesn't qualify you as an expert on aging, biochemistry or dermatology.