Anti-Aging

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 09:55 PM
RE: Anti-Aging
(06-02-2014 09:49 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Anyway, it's obvious I'm having about as much "luck" with you as I had with Chippy and Brownshirt. Are you going to keep up this stupid internet back-and-forth, or should one of us just block the other and be done with it?

Translation: Are you going to continue to challenge the nonsense that I post? If you do then I will block you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 10:14 PM
(06-02-2014 09:55 PM)Youkay Wrote:  I can't believe what a pretentious, misleading, disingenuous and poorly informed jerk you are. I don't seem to be able to raise my hand from my brow while reading your posts. The face palm is permanent. I don't know if Chippy wants to continue putting up with the likes of you... but for me it is the end of "discussion".

I see you have declared that you don't wish to continue the discussion, so you might not come back and see this post, but on the occasion that you do:

Declaring "victory," conjuring strawmen, and making a series of baseless ad hominem attacks doesn't change the cold, hard facts that exist in objective reality. I have my reasons for believing the experts I have access to...and who knows? They have their own biases and aren't perfect. But they *are* experts and their information, which I have presented here (with references and examples) is the best research available to date. This has gotten to the point of trying to explain evolution to a creationist, and I'm tiring of it same as you.

As I stated above, I'll most likely just block you the next time we cross paths. If I do not respond to your posts, know I am not being purposefully rude I'm just too exhausted to bother with you overall (and several other people on this forum, for that matter.) I don't have the patience to cock measure over the internet anymore, particularly considering I lack the requisite equipment. Peace!

BrokenQuill: Again, I am sorry for my own part in this....idk what to call it, spat? But getting off topic seems to be a virtual prerequisite around here anyhow. *hugs*

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2014, 10:45 PM
That's okay hon hugs
06-02-2014, 11:02 PM
(06-02-2014 10:14 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  But they *are* experts and their information, which I have presented here (with references and examples) is the best research available to date.

No it isn't, what you have presented is cherry-picked, misunderstood, obfuscated and obscured. The consensus of opinion is that in vitro models of the Hayflick limit represent what is actually happening in vivo. This is from a current textbook on the topic:

[Image: 2n8wh0w.png]

from p.85, Farage et al (2010) Textbook of Aging Skin, Springer
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
07-02-2014, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2014 06:07 AM by DeepThought.)
What about supplements like astragalus extracts - including the ridiculously expensive ta-65 supplement that has a fair amount of science behind it.
It lengthens telomeres and allot of people taking astragalus extract have reported improved skin quality/tone etc. I wonder how that would affect the hayflick limit.

There is also a new antioxidant tiron that hasn't passed human safety trials but the claim is that Tiron can provide "100% protection against mitochondrial DNA damage." It's molecular structure is based on the vitamin E group of compounds. Sounds promising based on the rat studies.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this over then next 1-2 years. We are living in interesting times. The rate of progress is increasing especially biology and genetics.

There are a few things you can do to slow the aging process. 30-60 mins of intense cardio/day can make a huge difference and alters your gene expression favourably. Just maintain a heart rate of around 130-180bpm (if you are young without heart problems 180bpm isn't a problem) and you will be working hard enough.

Just exercise alone has been shown to upregulate telomerase production. People who exercise DO look younger and healthier than couch potatoes even in old age.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
07-02-2014, 07:57 AM
(07-02-2014 05:57 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  What about supplements like astragalus extracts - including the ridiculously expensive ta-65 supplement that has a fair amount of science behind it.
It lengthens telomeres and allot of people taking astragalus extract have reported improved skin quality/tone etc. I wonder how that would affect the hayflick limit.

There is also a new antioxidant tiron that hasn't passed human safety trials but the claim is that Tiron can provide "100% protection against mitochondrial DNA damage." It's molecular structure is based on the vitamin E group of compounds. Sounds promising based on the rat studies.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this over then next 1-2 years. We are living in interesting times. The rate of progress is increasing especially biology and genetics.

There are a few things you can do to slow the aging process. 30-60 mins of intense cardio/day can make a huge difference and alters your gene expression favourably. Just maintain a heart rate of around 130-180bpm (if you are young without heart problems 180bpm isn't a problem) and you will be working hard enough.

Just exercise alone has been shown to upregulate telomerase production. People who exercise DO look younger and healthier than couch potatoes even in old age.

What research can you cite for any of these claims? It appears that all you are doing is blindly repeating the advertising claims of supplement manufacturers.
07-02-2014, 08:05 AM
(06-02-2014 07:15 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 09:14 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  As for being young and helping your skin look better in your older years:
Don't smoke and stay out of the sun. Eat good food and get plenty of exercise & good sleep patterns. Stay away from harsh chemicals use for the face. Use lotion if you have a tendency for dry skin. Not much else matters as far as I know. Thumbsup

Woo-hoo! I agree with something that WS posted.

Also, avoid excessive alcohol consumption.

I may just throw a party............. Shocking

Tongue

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
07-02-2014, 08:19 AM
(06-02-2014 07:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 07:10 PM)Chippy Wrote:  The alpha hydroxy acids induce shedding and cell division so if you use those daily you will reach the Hayflick limit of the skin cells earlier than you otherwise would have and you will actually age prematurely.

That likely explains why those of my friends who put a lot of cosmetics and trending creams on their face actually look older now.

*Trending* being the key word here. While some of the effects may be dramatic - in order to alter the skin visibly - structural change - albeit small - must occur. The skin doesn't really work that way. I have a friend who bought and tried a "tightening" gel. Key ingredient in her gel was alcohol. (I read the label) And sure any of us could use plain ol alcohol and get a "tighter" feel to our skin....... the ultimate drying over time would make things so much worse - as it did for her.

Read labels and learn how the skin works. If the damage has already happened you can do *some* to temporarily help with improved appearance but you cannot reverse damage done at a cellular level and tightening (drying) products do more harm than good.

The best skin regime is a smile and happiness. If your life is good and you're smiling no one cares if those are smile-lines around your eyes. Nobody! Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
07-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Re: RE: Anti-Aging
(07-02-2014 07:57 AM)Chippy Wrote:  What research can you cite for any of these claims? It appears that all you are doing is blindly repeating the advertising claims of supplement manufacturers.

The info you are after is well within your reach, assuming you have more than half a brain and internet access.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
(07-02-2014 08:37 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 07:57 AM)Chippy Wrote:  What research can you cite for any of these claims? It appears that all you are doing is blindly repeating the advertising claims of supplement manufacturers.

The info you are after is well within your reach, assuming you have more than half a brain and internet access.

Generally around here if someone makes a claim they cite some references to back up their claims/assertions. It's just kinda how it works. Pretty sure that's what he's asking for. You're right, however, any of us can research online regarding this topic or most any other.