Anti-Aging

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 03:16 PM
RE: Anti-Aging
I remember running across this a while ago: Bucky'sBalls Dissolved in Olive Oil Doubles the Lifespan of Rats and is delicious on salads. Hadn't thought much more about it 'cause where am I gonna get Bucky'sBalls from, hell he's on the other side of the country. But now apparently I can buy it. Problem is that to match the 1.7mg/kg bodyweight dosage the researchers used I would need 170 mg which would cost me around $100 per dose. But it certainly is exciting and I'd give it a run once the price comes down to something reasonable.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 06:51 PM by DeepThought.)
(08-02-2014 03:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I remember running across this a while ago: Bucky'sBalls Dissolved in Olive Oil Doubles the Lifespan of Rats and is delicious on salads. Hadn't thought much more about it 'cause where am I gonna get Bucky'sBalls from, hell he's on the other side of the country. But now apparently I can buy it. Problem is that to match the 1.7mg/kg bodyweight dosage the researchers used I would need 170 mg which would cost me around $100 per dose. But it certainly is exciting and I'd give it a run once the price comes down to something reasonable.

Actually... Rat metabolism is roughly 6x the human metabolic rate. To match that you would need 1/6 the daily dose and over time the amount in your body would build up to the required dose.

Not a doubling of lifespan... More like ~30% extra.

What is interesting is that all the c60-oil rats survived into old age and then sufferered a steep decline in population.

c60-oil seems a surefire way to achieve your maximal lifespan in good health followed by a short period of sudden decline of health. Thumbsup

If you see the rats internal organs the meat looks really different. It's much darker. I wonder if it would make my skin darker if I took it regularly. That would be interesting!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
08-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Those papers about telomerase and execise are extremely controversial. Which paper in particular convinced you that the experimental findings are conclusive evidence for that claim?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
08-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Blink

Yep.
Hypocrisy to the max.
*Definitely* blocking this fucktard now.

(08-02-2014 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 08:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I wasn't talking about cancer...

Well, yes and no, and that conversation was super interesting. Would cost me a lot of time and effort to start from scratch gathering all that info.

The only good thing to come of this thread getting epically off topic.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
(30-01-2014 07:28 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Am I too young to start using anti-aging treatments? And do they even work?

...as to whether or not they work, there is some evidence that some might. Resveritrol is now scientifically proven to slow aging in the mammals in which it has been tested - but there isn't enough clinial testing in humans to say whether it extends to us. There is also, NAD, which now some scientific evidence of effectiveness in mice.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/...man-trials

A solid 'maybe', is in order.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
09-02-2014, 12:39 AM
(07-02-2014 12:43 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Sure, I can provide references, though I provided links which make it easy to look up references. in the case of ta-65 you can look it up in wiki and use those references since the references provided by the supplement company would likely be more biased. He also claimed I was regurgitating supplement advertisements and I dont think I come across like that at all. I think in this case its just sloppy laziness on his part so I didn't feel like making any effort.

...did a quick search, as I had never heard of ta-65. They want ~$1000/bottle for the stuff. If I ever see hard scientific proof that it's the fountain of youth, then I would pay that much. But not a a 'wellll, maybe it does something'. The wiki has all kinds of warnings that it may be impartially editted by those with a financial incentive.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
09-02-2014, 06:42 AM
It comes down to basics. A healthy lifestyle with good food and exercise while avoiding too much sun exposure. That will keep you younger for longer. If you are dark skinned you may want to supplement with vitamin d instead of dosing your skin with the required amount of sun required to generate it naturally.

It's up to you though. There is no anti-aging miracle yet, but plenty of people are working on it.

The progress with stem cell science looks promising.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
09-02-2014, 11:55 AM
(07-02-2014 05:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 05:57 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  What about supplements like astragalus extracts - including the ridiculously expensive ta-65 supplement that has a fair amount of science behind it.

I looked into TA-65 but what scared me was that almost all cancer cells are characterized by increased telomerase activity. If there are any cancer cells floating around looking for some buddies to throw a tumor party why wouldn't TA-65 or other similar supplements increase their telomerase activity as well?

Here's a nice debate on the topic. (Yeah yeah I know it's at LEF, yeah yeah I know it's an overpriced supplement company, but they are not taking a position on telomerase lengthening.)

Turning on Immortality: The Debate Over Telomerase Activation

To summarize:

William Andrews - "There is little doubt that the potential for increased risk of cancer due to TA-65 is real. But the potential for increased risk of suffering from old age due to not taking TA-65 is more real."

Michael West - "Since pre-malignant tumor cells have activated oncogenes and inactivated tumor suppressor genes, they are thought to be dividing faster than their normal counterparts, and therefore even a modest extension of telomeres in the whole body could be expected to give a preferential extension of cell life span to these pre-malignant cells. Therefore, in my opinion, our best available mouse data argue that there is an unreasonable risk to treat a healthy individual with telomerase-activating compounds. Some would counter that current telomerase activators are weak enough that they would not be expected to extend telomeres to the point where they would increase cancer risk. However, one would then ask why they would be useful for the treatment of aging."

#sigh
09-02-2014, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 09:01 PM by Youkay.)
Michael West hits the nail on the head. Especially the part that you highlighted. And I don't know if William Andrews is speaking for or against TA-65. because from the quote you provided, it seems as if he was speaking against TA-65.

No matter. Telomerase has been subject of research for the last 50 years since it was first discovered and identified in cilliates. Unfortunately, our understanding is only based on indirect evidence from cell biology. Biochemical direct experiments have been impeded due to the difficulty to obtain telomerase protein in vitro in sufficient amounts. My research is actually focusing on addressing this very problem.

But we know enough about telomerase and its mechanism to be able to tell you that anything that activates telomerase sufficiently to prevent or delay aging IS CARCINOGENIC. I encourage you to get your information from proper scientists specialized in biochemistry and molecular biology instead of dermatologists, medical doctors and the likes, who have very little understanding of biochemistry and an obvious bias (generally speaking).

Anybody who trusts dermatologists, medical doctors and the likes more than proper scientists only has himself to blame. This is my last 5 cents to this topic. It has been discussed sufficiently.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
19-02-2014, 10:10 PM
(08-02-2014 07:53 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  ShockingShockingShocking

Yo-- we girly girls were kinda having a chat bout face cream and looking pretty and you dogs are all like cancer and shit............. WTF?

ShockingShockingShocking

dude

Yeah well, guys are like that. WitchSabrina, I've been using Retin-A for 25 years. I started using it for acne when I was in my mid-twenties and kept on using it when I realized it made my skin look so great. It has prevented wrinkles. I'm in my mid fifties now and people think I'm about 36 or so. I also make my own vitamin c serum weekly from scratch so it's fresh and use sunscreen. But this is just the appearance of aging. Aging inside the body is a different thing.

I've kept up my dancing over the years (can still do the splits easily) keep doing yoga, walking and biking to the store for groceries. My plan is to look as good as I can, with reasonable expectations of course, have as much fun as I can, keep my my body flexible, my mind interested in the world and then when I'm in my 80's I'll keep a bottle of some sort of sleeping pills handy and make a quick departure when I start seeing a decline.

Everyone in my family lives to be in their 90's and even close to 100 but the last 10 years aren't very pleasant. I'd rather cash in my chips a little earlier and exit stage right.

If people never got old and died it would be a curse. The earth wouldn't be able to sustain such overpopulation so the old saying might apply, " be careful what you wish for, it just might come true".

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.