Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism
I guess this thread will detonate as I chose a relatively provocative title... but well, here it goes:

What is it with this anti-feminism in some "atheist circles" lately?

For instance I loved Thunderf00ts videos until he started complaining about feminism, misrepresenting feminism and harassing specific feminists to the point where he doesn't even take it seriously that Anita Sarkeesian now received death threats for what she thinks and does. He speaks of little else anymore! I had unsubscribed from his channel a couple of months ago and went back to it to see if anything had changed. Nope, it seems to get more extreme...
When you look at the comments on his videos, you see what kind of sexist people he attracts... And he (as well as The Amazing Atheist!) has so many subscribers that it may shed a terrible light on atheism and/or its "community"...
Yes, I know, nobody represents us... theoretically. But unfortunately I think in reality they sort of are...!? At least in the eyes of some people probably.

And yes, of course I am a feminist, I am all for equality! And I don't see myself not calling myself a feminist anymore because 3.5 feminists interpret feminism in a weird way that I don't necessarily agree with!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Joh's post
06-09-2014, 03:18 PM
RE: Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism
(06-09-2014 03:13 PM)Joh Wrote:  I guess this thread will detonate as I chose a relatively provocative title... but well, here it goes:

What is it with this anti-feminism in some "atheist circles" lately?

For instance I loved Thunderf00ts videos until he started complaining about feminism, misrepresenting feminism and harassing specific feminists to the point where he doesn't even take it seriously that Anita Sarkeesian now received death threats for what she thinks and does. He speaks of little else anymore! I had unsubscribed from his channel a couple of months ago and went back to it to see if anything had changed. Nope, it seems to get more extreme...
When you look at the comments on his videos, you see what kind of sexist people he attracts... And he (as well as The Amazing Atheist!) has so many subscribers that it may shed a terrible light on atheism and/or its "community"...
Yes, I know, nobody represents us... theoretically. But unfortunately I think in reality they sort of are...!? At least in the eyes of some people probably.

And yes, of course I am a feminist, I am all for equality! And I don't see myself not calling myself a feminist anymore because 3.5 feminists interpret feminism in a weird way that I don't necessarily agree with!

Sadly it seems that the younger you are the more likely you are to have bought into the caricature of feminism put forth by the likes of Rush Limbaugh rather than what it really is. It really does seem to be a generational thing as the most outspoken rabid anti-feminists tend to be from the under 18 crowd. Oh and don't worry this thread will devolve into flames due to a presence of those types here.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 9 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
I've noticed a lot of anti-feminists in various atheist communities. Not the most pleasant bunch, but I'm sure the Christians aren't keen on having the KKK or Westboro in their family tree either.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
[+] 6 users Like Elskidor's post
06-09-2014, 03:41 PM
It is exhausting. I have run out of words. It has gotten to the point now where I just refuse to argue with people about it anymore. I would rather eat glass.
[+] 4 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
06-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Yes this has really been bugging me and I had to say it somehow somewhere...

Eating glass... nah... Wink

I don't have a Google+ account, therefore I at least don't waste my time in youtube- comment -wars Wink
06-09-2014, 03:59 PM
I think you have misinterpreted it for being about being all about equality. Feminism is just empowering women. Why feminist don't fight for men's right too then if they were
about equality.

Feminist care only about women problem nothing else thats way all shelter they make for domestic abuse are only for women despite the fact 40% of domestic violence victims are males, and i don't see them care about the fact that men commit suicide at much higher rates than women.

One last thing, even the name of the movement inticate that it is about women 'fem'
female get it? If you are all about equality why don't you just call yourself egalitarian a more appropriate and more neutral word?
06-09-2014, 04:00 PM
(06-09-2014 03:59 PM)Antonis Wrote:  I think you have misinterpreted it for being about being all about equality. Feminism is just empowering women. Why feminist don't fight for men's right too then if they were
about equality.

Feminist care only about women problem nothing else thats way all shelter they make for domestic abuse are only for women despite the fact 40% of domestic violence victims are males, and i don't see them care about the fact that men commit suicide at much higher rates than women.

One last thing, even the name of the movement inticate that it is about women 'fem'
female get it? If you are all about equality why don't you just call yourself egalitarian a more appropriate and more neutral word?

And 6 posts. Who had post #6 in the raffle? You win a pie.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 17 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-09-2014, 04:02 PM
(06-09-2014 04:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 03:59 PM)Antonis Wrote:  I think you have misinterpreted it for being about being all about equality. Feminism is just empowering women. Why feminist don't fight for men's right too then if they were
about equality.

Ooh oooh that's me!!! Lemon pie please Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
06-09-2014, 04:02 PM
about equality.

What? I'm confused.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
06-09-2014, 04:07 PM
about equality.

What?