Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 12:34 PM by Impulse.)
RE: Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism
(08-09-2014 11:58 AM)Antonis Wrote:  There are a lot of men who don't want to call themselves feminists because of the 'fem' maybe in people like you and me who value critical thinking and scepticism a name won't change a thing, but for the millions of sheep that lack any critical thinking the change of the name will help. I understand why you think it won't and it's totally logical but i think my argument have a basis too.
I'm still not seeing it. "Feminist" doesn't mean "female", it means supporting issues pertaining to female equality. Anyone that has a genuine interest in the feminist movement would understand that. Anyone who has a problem with the label might need to examine their true beliefs about the respective gender roles.

Edit:
Corrected a type-o.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
08-09-2014, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 12:44 PM by Adrianime.)
Aww, I feel bad. This thread has been full of a bunch of negativity between people who are almost completely in agreement (on the issue that matters, equality). I think it's silly to think that "bad feminists" (those that raise issue over non-issues, and lobby for special privileges for women) represent feminism, just like I think it's silly to pretend these people don't exist.

I think we all agree on equality, right?

Also, honestly I don't think feminism is really influencing atheism (or pop culture) much. Around here, it is hardly talked about (in either a positive or negative way). To say it is poisoning atheism is a little much. If you have a special interest in it, and read a whole lot about it then maybe you are just over-saturating yourself, I don't know. I've never even heard of feminism being associated with atheism in any significant way until I read this thread. Of course that's just from my experiences here in WA.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
08-09-2014, 12:47 PM
(08-09-2014 12:41 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Aww, I feel bad. This thread has been full of a bunch of negativity between people who are almost completely in agreement (on the issue that matters, equality). I think it's silly to think that "bad feminists" (those that raise issue over non-issues, and lobby for special privileges for women) represent feminism, just like I think it's silly to pretend these people don't exist.

I think we all agree on equality, right?

Also, honestly I don't think feminism is really influencing atheism (or pop culture) much. Around here, it is hardly talked about (in either a positive or negative way). To say it is poisoning atheism is a little much. If you have a special interest in it, and read a whole lot about it then maybe you are just over-saturating yourself, I don't know. I've never even heard of feminism being associated with atheism in any significant way until I read this thread. Of course that's just from my experiences here in WA.

Give this man a medal.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-09-2014, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 03:26 PM by Antonis.)
(08-09-2014 12:08 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 11:58 AM)Antonis Wrote:  There are a lot of men who don't want to call themselves feminists because of the 'fem' maybe in people like you and me who value critical thinking and scepticism a name won't change a thing, but for the millions of sheep that lack any critical thinking the change of the name will help. I understand why you think it won't and it's totally logical but i think my argument have a basis too.
I'm still not seeing it. "Feminist" doesn't mean "female", it means supporting issues pertaining to female equality. Anyone that has a genuine interest in the feminist movement would understand that. Anyone who has a problem with the label might need to examine their true beliefs about the respective gender roles.

Edit:
Corrected a type-o.

Nice of you to attack me like this but i know exactly what feminism mean. I personally didn't care about anything that happens by accident of birth since i was 10 and i don't even care about my nationality how much do you think i would care about my gender to want it to be superior. My argument is simply that common people are more easy to accept certain words, its much more easer to make people donate for the protection of wetland than swamps, the social backlash from calling yourself agnostic is smaller than atheist even if most people who call themselves agnostic don't really believe. Since you deny the premise of my argument (language affect thought) then there is no much to talk about. But this doesn't mean i don't want equality.
08-09-2014, 04:28 PM
(08-09-2014 03:02 PM)Antonis Wrote:  Nice of you to attack me like this but i know exactly what feminism mean. I personally didn't care about anything that happens by accident of birth since i was 10 and i don't even care about my nationality how much do you think i would care about my gender to want it to be superior. My argument is simply that common people are more easy to accept certain words, its much more easer to make people donate for the protection of wetland than swamps, the social backlash from calling yourself agnostic is smaller than atheist even if most people who call themselves agnostic don't really believe. Since you deny the premise of my argument (language affect thought) then there is no much to talk about. But this doesn't mean i don't want equality.
Why so defensive? I haven't attacked you thus far and I wasn't doing so this time either. I was replying to what you said. You said some men might have a problem with the label "feminist" because of the "fem" beginning. So I assume the reason for that would be because those men wouldn't want to be associated with something deemed "female". But if that's their problem then it's likely because of a misunderstanding of the term. On the other hand, if someone is merely embarrassed about having something to do with the feminist movement, then that would imply they lack confidence in the merit of the movement. Thus, they should re-examine their own beliefs about gender roles. I think language only appears to influence thought and, when it does, it really indicates something deeper than that.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
08-09-2014, 05:21 PM
(08-09-2014 04:28 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 03:02 PM)Antonis Wrote:  Nice of you to attack me like this but i know exactly what feminism mean. I personally didn't care about anything that happens by accident of birth since i was 10 and i don't even care about my nationality how much do you think i would care about my gender to want it to be superior. My argument is simply that common people are more easy to accept certain words, its much more easer to make people donate for the protection of wetland than swamps, the social backlash from calling yourself agnostic is smaller than atheist even if most people who call themselves agnostic don't really believe. Since you deny the premise of my argument (language affect thought) then there is no much to talk about. But this doesn't mean i don't want equality.
Why so defensive? I haven't attacked you thus far and I wasn't doing so this time either. I was replying to what you said. You said some men might have a problem with the label "feminist" because of the "fem" beginning. So I assume the reason for that would be because those men wouldn't want to be associated with something deemed "female". But if that's their problem then it's likely because of a misunderstanding of the term. On the other hand, if someone is merely embarrassed about having something to do with the feminist movement, then that would imply they lack confidence in the merit of the movement. Thus, they should re-examine their own beliefs about gender roles. I think language only appears to influence thought and, when it does, it really indicates something deeper than that.

I am sorry to misinterpret your intention i was under a lot of attacks before in this thread, it was my fault too because i wasn't clear in my post about my beliefs

This post let me see your point more clearly this time. I was talking about the first category of people that misunderstand the real meaning of feminism, this people won't spend time to search and understand what feminism really is trying to achieve
so a friendlier name maybe will make the movement more appealing to the masses.
Of course with the name feminism it may strike deeper into the real problem. About the second category i agree about 100% with what you said.
08-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Whenever you think that women are treated equal...that we really have come a long way...take a look at the news. Ray Rice should be in fucking prison. Just now is anyone taking seriously what happened. So, if there was no video of this, then the guy would have had a 2 game suspension?

He should have been kicked out of the NFL the minute the NFL heard of this news. And he should have been arrested.

You're all going on about video games...when, reality still needs some major reform with how it handles the issues women face...DAY TO DAY.

/rant

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
08-09-2014, 07:30 PM
(08-09-2014 06:31 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Whenever you think that women are treated equal...that we really have come a long way...take a look at the news. Ray Rice should be in fucking prison. Just now is anyone taking seriously what happened. So, if there was no video of this, then the guy would have had a 2 game suspension?

He should have been kicked out of the NFL the minute the NFL heard of this news. And he should have been arrested.

You're all going on about video games...when, reality still needs some major reform with how it handles the issues women face...DAY TO DAY.

/rant

I feel like the video game some unattractive chick got all of the attractive chicks to think video games are making girls look like sluts.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-09-2014, 07:32 PM
(08-09-2014 07:30 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 06:31 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Whenever you think that women are treated equal...that we really have come a long way...take a look at the news. Ray Rice should be in fucking prison. Just now is anyone taking seriously what happened. So, if there was no video of this, then the guy would have had a 2 game suspension?

/rant

I feel like the video game some unattractive chick got all of the attractive chicks to think video games are making girls look like sluts.

What? That sentence makes no sense.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-09-2014, 07:35 PM
(08-09-2014 07:32 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 07:30 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I feel like the video game some unattractive chick got all of the attractive chicks to think video games are making girls look like sluts.

What? That sentence makes no sense.

Well it is just a hypothesis, besides why do they care again? Just need a recap.