Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism
(09-10-2014 09:19 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 09:13 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  How does that even imply that they are inseparable? When one SJW group infiltrates something then other SJW groups come in after, even if they hate each other. That is what has happened every single time.
I don't know what I said which is so difficult to grasp? Unless of course I'll just be straw manned to hell whatever I say.

Are you having trouble with the definition of "inseparable"?

If they come in after each other every single time - and you literally just said so - then they are, in fact, inseparable.

That's what words mean.

And yet you used the word originally to make fun of me for opposing the straw man claiming I'd said that feminism = racism, implying that you were using it for that definition.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
You did compare it to racism, sexism, etc.

However, I understand what you mean otherwise. There are a group of feminists who take offense to anything that can be perceived as sexist (and that can be a lot of things such as women wearing skimpy clothes) and equate to a nebulous 'patriarchy'. Any sort of constructive criticism towards this group's ideas is shunned or twisted against the critic or even silenced. "Coffeegate" is one event where there were people who brought up valid points about Rebecca Watson saying you shouldn't casually ask for sex with euphemisms. It turned into communities such as Atheism+ banning people for such criticism. Another is where actions of a few gamers supposedly sending death threats to these feminist figures or merely launching criticisms towards their ideas, ended up with many journal articles brushing the majority of the gaming community as sexist. When gender differences that are unfavorable to men pop up, it's often ignored, shouted down, or used as evidence in a convoluted argument about patriarchy by these people.

Now, let me be clear here: these group of feminists are not all feminists, nor do I believe these represent what a majority of feminists believe or stand for. Nor do I think that this group of feminists never have valid points about society. However, this group of 'radical' feminists is very vocal and attempt to bulldoze over criticisms and harm the identity and reputations of others unnecessarily. Sometimes, this can go as far as explicit hate for men, but that is an even further minority.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
09-10-2014, 11:07 AM
(09-10-2014 10:57 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  You did compare it to racism, sexism, etc.

However, I understand what you mean otherwise. There are a group of feminists who take offense to anything that can be perceived as sexist (and that can be a lot of things such as women wearing skimpy clothes) and equate to a nebulous 'patriarchy'. Any sort of constructive criticism towards this group's ideas is shunned or twisted against the critic or even silenced. "Coffeegate" is one event where there were people who brought up valid points about Rebecca Watson saying you shouldn't casually ask for sex with euphemisms. It turned into communities such as Atheism+ banning people for such criticism. Another is where actions of a few gamers supposedly sending death threats to these feminist figures or merely launching criticisms towards their ideas, ended up with many journal articles brushing the majority of the gaming community as sexist. When gender differences that are unfavorable to men pop up, it's often ignored, shouted down, or used as evidence in a convoluted argument about patriarchy by these people.

Now, let me be clear here: these group of feminists are not all feminists, nor do I believe these represent what a majority of feminists believe or stand for. Nor do I think that this group of feminists never have valid points about society. However, this group of 'radical' feminists is very vocal and attempt to bulldoze over criticisms and harm the identity and reputations of others unnecessarily. Sometimes, this can go as far as explicit hate for men, but that is an even further minority.

In my experience though the majority of people who are like these elusive people often quoted as 'real feminists' do not use that label though, usually because it doesn't make sense to say 'gender equality' and then name yourself for one gender, excluding any covered philosophy.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
09-10-2014, 11:09 AM
(09-10-2014 11:07 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 10:57 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  You did compare it to racism, sexism, etc.

In my experience though the majority of people who are like these elusive people often quoted as 'real feminists' do not use that label though, usually because it doesn't make sense to say 'gender equality' and then name yourself for one gender, excluding any covered philosophy.

Except being feminist doesn't exclude every other philosophy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 11:14 AM
(09-10-2014 08:49 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  It's because feminism has penetrated and destroyed a bunch of atheist communities and the ones remaining don't want it to happen to them.

Generally when sexist, racist or xenophobic ideologies appear and start infiltrating things people will try to resist it. Nobody wants to have to deal with sexism all the time so naturally nobody wants feminists injecting it into their communities. Of course too the Feminists bring with them other forms of Tumblrites, including those racists who utterly reject the opinion of anyone who is a certain race, and the utterly insane people like those with 'headmates', and the people who think they are dragons trapped in human bodies. Everyone with any sort of intelligence wants that stuff to stay in little isolated pockets so it cant shit up everything else.

When did feminism destroy atheist sites?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
09-10-2014, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 12:34 PM by Kaepora Gaebora.)
(09-10-2014 11:07 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  

Feminism, by definition, is an idea about gaining equality of women as people in society. It doesn't imply that a person cannot want equality for others.

Feminism was coined in the past because there was indeed a big lack of equal rights for women. Many nations have worked to correct that, and there is still work to be done. However, again, feminism doesn't necessarily mean a person doesn't support equality for all genders (men and women getting into a draft, equality for transgenders, increased emotional support for men since men statistically commit more suicide).
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
09-10-2014, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 11:34 AM by Kaepora Gaebora.)
(09-10-2014 11:14 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 08:49 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  It's because feminism has penetrated and destroyed a bunch of atheist communities and the ones remaining don't want it to happen to them.

Generally when sexist, racist or xenophobic ideologies appear and start infiltrating things people will try to resist it. Nobody wants to have to deal with sexism all the time so naturally nobody wants feminists injecting it into their communities. Of course too the Feminists bring with them other forms of Tumblrites, including those racists who utterly reject the opinion of anyone who is a certain race, and the utterly insane people like those with 'headmates', and the people who think they are dragons trapped in human bodies. Everyone with any sort of intelligence wants that stuff to stay in little isolated pockets so it cant shit up everything else.

When did feminism destroy atheist sites?

I wouldn't say 'destroy' since these people hosting the sites already had these radical ideas beforehand, but they did bring out the ugly side of sites such as Atheism+ and FreeThoughtBlogs. Thunderfoot was banned for questioning other bloggers about their feminist ideas in FreeThoughtBlogs, for example.
09-10-2014, 11:19 AM
(09-10-2014 11:18 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:14 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  When did feminism destroy atheist sites?

I wouldn't say 'destroy' since these people hosting the sites already had these radical ideas, but they did bring out the ugly side of sites such as Atheism+ and FreeThoughtBlogs. Thunderfoot was banned for questioning other bloggers about their feminist ideas in FreeThoughtBlogs, for example.

Well given what Thunderfoot has done since I am far less sympathetic to him.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-10-2014, 11:33 AM
(09-10-2014 11:18 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:14 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  When did feminism destroy atheist sites?

I wouldn't say 'destroy' since these people hosting the sites already had these radical ideas, but they did bring out the ugly side of sites such as Atheism+ and FreeThoughtBlogs. Thunderfoot was banned for questioning other bloggers about their feminist ideas in FreeThoughtBlogs, for example.

That's not exactly the only reason he was kicked off FreeThoughtBlogs. I know that's what he believes the reason to be, but his view is really skewed on this.

He made it an agenda of his to call people out and did a fair bit of quote mining to make his "points". Added to the his "blog" became a place for his own talking points about the people.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-10-2014, 12:33 PM
(09-10-2014 11:33 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 11:18 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  I wouldn't say 'destroy' since these people hosting the sites already had these radical ideas, but they did bring out the ugly side of sites such as Atheism+ and FreeThoughtBlogs. Thunderfoot was banned for questioning other bloggers about their feminist ideas in FreeThoughtBlogs, for example.

That's not exactly the only reason he was kicked off FreeThoughtBlogs. I know that's what he believes the reason to be, but his view is really skewed on this.

He made it an agenda of his to call people out and did a fair bit of quote mining to make his "points". Added to the his "blog" became a place for his own talking points about the people.

I'm not aware of quote-mining by him in the matter. As far as I'm aware of, Thunderfoot posted about focusing less on sexual harassment at the conference rather than making it a bigger issue than it is. Thunderfoot reads the blog post that started the problem (can't find the text) and responds to PZ Myers' post in this Youtube video.

Afterwards, TF was requested to leave, TF made no indication of doing it in a reply email, and PZ removed him from the blog. Make of it what you will. In my opinion, it appears PZ is taking what TF said out of context, and TF could have phrased what he said a bit better and he was banned because of it.