Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2014, 10:21 AM
RE: Anti-Feminism is poisoning atheism
(19-10-2014 09:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 09:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Maybe a change in font as well

Perhaps some sort of alert that there is sarcasm ahead.

[Image: sarcasm_warning.gif]

I'm so happy that you all agree.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2014, 10:26 AM
How about this?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
19-10-2014, 10:39 AM
(19-10-2014 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 09:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Perhaps some sort of alert that there is sarcasm ahead.

We always agree with you about everything. Drinking Beverage

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
19-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
19-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Women should have equal rights--I can't see how this should be a problematic position within the atheist community. Where I part ways with some feminists is that I think men having equal rights is equally important.

As a more detailed example, there is no similar focus on gender equality for men in education like there has been for women in education despite the numbers showing how a shift in focus on males in education is needed.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d13/t...301.10.asp
(about 57% of bachelors degrees, about 59% of masters degrees, and 51% of PhDs in the most recent data from 2012). It should be noted that the percentage of PhDs is on an upward trend and with current enrollment will exceed the percentage of the female population in the next few years.

The problem with feminism is that it has a single gender advocacy organizing principle. Do feminists intend to discriminate against men when they only focus on women's issues? Mostly their intent is positive and not meant to be discriminatory. But when feminist groups and organizations push politicians on issues, are they bringing up the academic under-performance of men at the same time they bring up rape on campus as a priority issue? Of course not. When feminists bring up equal treatment by employers, do they discuss that men have a job related fatality rate many times higher than women do? When feminists bring up health issues, is the concern that men have significantly shorter life spans also addressed? Which issues do you all think are brought up? Listen to the news and you will know.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
19-10-2014, 11:59 PM
(19-10-2014 11:53 PM)BryanS Wrote:  The problem with feminism is that it has a single gender advocacy organizing principle.

For fuck's sake, thanks for showing you've read zero posts here, where everyone who has self identified as a feminist here has advocated for gender equality; because that's what it means. But no, people keep perpetuating the 'feminist is women only' crap... Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-10-2014, 12:04 AM
(19-10-2014 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 09:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Perhaps some sort of alert that there is sarcasm ahead.

<sarcasm>Insert sarcasm here.</sarcasm>

20-10-2014, 12:10 AM
(19-10-2014 11:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 11:53 PM)BryanS Wrote:  The problem with feminism is that it has a single gender advocacy organizing principle.

For fuck's sake, thanks for showing you've read zero posts here, where everyone who has self identified as a feminist here has advocated for gender equality; because that's what it means. But no, people keep perpetuating the 'feminist is women only' crap... Dodgy

For fucks sake, you also didn't read what I wrote very carefully. Many feminists may support gender equality. But feminist groups and organization's advocacy is exclusively single gendered, which is a function of their mission and reason for existing. When organizations like NOW focus on male equality in education for instance, I'll believe these organizations and groups have missions that are gender neutral. Until then, it matters not one bit that most feminists support gender equality when feminist advocacy groups have missions that are single gendered. NOW will not raise a lot of money for a campaign to address male education achievement gaps.
20-10-2014, 12:22 AM
(20-10-2014 12:10 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 11:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  For fuck's sake, thanks for showing you've read zero posts here, where everyone who has self identified as a feminist here has advocated for gender equality; because that's what it means. But no, people keep perpetuating the 'feminist is women only' crap... Dodgy

For fucks sake, you also didn't read what I wrote very carefully. Many feminists may support gender equality. But feminist groups and organization's advocacy is exclusively single gendered, which is a function of their mission and reason for existing. When organizations like NOW focus on male equality in education for instance, I'll believe these organizations and groups have missions that are gender neutral. Until then, it matters not one bit that most feminists support gender equality when feminist advocacy groups have missions that are single gendered. NOW will not raise a lot of money for a campaign to address male education achievement gaps.

Because, on the whole, wage, advancement, and power inequality are a far bigger issue that affects far more people with a much greater impact on society. As of right now, in most instances of gender inequality, the vast majority of issues have women getting the short end of the stick; and thus that's where the majority of attention is focused. We can acknowledge that the inequality you're bitching about exists, while also realizing that is small-fucking-potatoes in the bigger picture. I'm still amazed that this seems to be a novel concept that people are unable to grasp.

But seriously, we'll get right on it right after woman have equal opportunity, equal pay for equal work, and fair representation in positions of power and government (which are still overwhelmingly male dominated).

[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-10-2014, 12:46 AM
(20-10-2014 12:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-10-2014 12:10 AM)BryanS Wrote:  For fucks sake, you also didn't read what I wrote very carefully. Many feminists may support gender equality. But feminist groups and organization's advocacy is exclusively single gendered, which is a function of their mission and reason for existing. When organizations like NOW focus on male equality in education for instance, I'll believe these organizations and groups have missions that are gender neutral. Until then, it matters not one bit that most feminists support gender equality when feminist advocacy groups have missions that are single gendered. NOW will not raise a lot of money for a campaign to address male education achievement gaps.

Because, on the whole, wage, advancement, and power inequality are a far bigger issue that affects far more people with a much greater impact on society. As of right now, in most instances of gender inequality, the vast majority of issues have women getting the short end of the stick; and thus that's where the majority of attention is focused. We can acknowledge that the inequality you're bitching about exists, while also realizing that is small-fucking-potatoes in the bigger picture.

But seriously, we'll get right on it right after woman have equal opportunity, equal pay for equal work, and fair representation in positions of power and government (which are still overwhelmingly male dominated).

This kind of response is exactly what is wrong with some feminists. I don;t think all or most are like you.

Quote:We can acknowledge that the inequality you're bitching about exists, while also realizing that is small-fucking-potatoes in the bigger picture.

This is a great example of belittling and diminishing the legitimacy a complaint by someone who experiences discrimination as just "bitching" or complaining. It is the same tactics male critics used a lot in the early days (and sometimes today) of the feminist movement by the way. The numbers I cited in education don't lie. Perhaps you should challenge this claim of a male achievement gap in education with, you know, actual arguments if you have any.

Quote:right after woman have equal opportunity
Are you blind? Did you not see the stats of all levels of college education?

Quote:equal pay for equal work
And an equal work place injury and death rate as well? Or are we not to be paid risk premiums for working jobs that have more risk of death and injury? And what about taking time away from career to raise a family? I would like to see the earning potential of men who choose to stay home and put career on hold to raise family compared to women who choose the same. Also, those wage stats that women make 81% of the pay men do for "the same work" are crap. They compare median wages of all men with all women, and make no adjustment for hours worked, risk premium for dangerous work, career choices, and so on. This Forbes story isn't the full set of statistics I would like to see addressing my questions, but it does give you some background on why I say that 81% wage gap claim is questionable http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/201...-pay-myth/ .

Quote:fair representation in positions of power and government
Unless you are accusing women of being self loathing, you do realize women are a slight majority of the voting pool, don't you?