Anti-Homosexuality In The Bible a Mistranslation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Anti-Homosexuality In The Bible a Mistranslation?
I think most Christian's are completely going up the wrong tree when it comes to anti-homosexuality. Considering that the bible is a translation from the original language many errors can be made obviously. So basing the word of God, from the translated word of man, seems a bit ridiculous, not to mention if God really wanted his message out there, wouldn't he give his word to people of all languages?

Anyway, I don't think Christian's are supposed to be anti-gay, since from what I have read of the bible, there is only a brief verse on 'thou shalt not lay with another man', but mostly it is anti forced sodomy (Prison rape for example, it is a show of dominance rather than love making.) Since back in Jacob's time, there was a lot of forced sodomy just like the environment of a prison. So it's very likely that there is a mistranslation where it was meant to be anti-forced sodomy rather than consensual homosexuality. It can be easily confused. I think it might be interesting thing to bring up when talking to Christians.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2012, 01:20 PM
RE: Anti-Homosexuality In The Bible a Mistranslation?
(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  I think it might be interesting thing to bring up when talking to Christians.

Why?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
13-12-2012, 01:23 PM
(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  I think most Christian's are completely going up the wrong tree when it comes to anti-homosexuality. Considering that the bible is a translation from the original language many errors can be made obviously.
Sure, it's possible. With that aside, you could just look up the verses in their original language (Hebrew) if you think that everyone who translated the Bible into a different language mistranslated them.

(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Anyway, I don't think Christian's are supposed to be anti-gay, since from what I have read of the bible, there is only a brief verse on 'thou shalt not lay with another man', but mostly it is anti forced sodomy (Prison rape for example, it is a show of dominance rather than love making.)
Neither Leviticus 18:22, nor Leviticus 20:13 are laws against forced sodomy.

Leviticus 18:22
וְאֶת-זָכָר--לֹא תִשְׁכַּב, מִשְׁכְּבֵי אִשָּׁה: תּוֹעֵבָה, הִוא
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination.

Leviticus 20:13
וְאִישׁ, אֲשֶׁר יִשְׁכַּב אֶת-זָכָר מִשְׁכְּבֵי אִשָּׁה--תּוֹעֵבָה עָשׂוּ, שְׁנֵיהֶם; מוֹת יוּמָתוּ, דְּמֵיהֶם בָּם.
And if a man lie with mankind, as with womankind, both of them have committed abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Source

(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  So it's very likely that there is a mistranslation where it was meant to be anti-forced sodomy rather than consensual homosexuality. It can be easily confused. I think it might be interesting thing to bring up when talking to Christians.
No, it's not likely at all. The original Hebrew says the very same thing. See above.

(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Since back in Jacob's time, there was a lot of forced sodomy just like the environment of a prison.
How do you know that and what are your sources?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
13-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Who gives a shit? Bring it up, they dodge it, and then they find asshats like you trying to argue against homosexuality without the bible in the most bassackwards way possible.

Evolve
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-12-2012, 01:55 PM
(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Since back in Jacob's time, there was a lot of forced sodomy just like the environment of a prison. So it's very likely that there is a mistranslation where it was meant to be anti-forced sodomy rather than consensual homosexuality. It can be easily confused. I think it might be interesting thing to bring up when talking to Christians.
Such utter crap. You have clue what was happening "back in Jacob's time". Jacob was a mythological character.
You seem to enjoy making a fool of yourself.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

13-12-2012, 01:58 PM
If god were real, then we are all going to hell. Good thing he's imaginary, otherwise that whole book is fucked up.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
13-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Why bring it up in the name of random conversation? You know what I talk to my christian friend about every week we visit one another?

The next Metal Gear game.

Point I'm representing is bias communication is a waste of time and valuable resources, and also an existence. Save arguments for where they require ground; debates and the internet.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Matthew Laramore's post
13-12-2012, 02:01 PM
(13-12-2012 01:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Since back in Jacob's time, there was a lot of forced sodomy just like the environment of a prison.
How do you know that and what are your sources?
Personal experience, perhaps? Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-12-2012, 04:11 PM
No. It's pretty clear. In the OT, Moses instructs against homosexuality, and in the NT, Paul instructs against it.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
13-12-2012, 04:16 PM
(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Since back in Jacob's time, there was a lot of forced sodomy just like the environment of a prison. So it's very likely that there is a mistranslation where it was meant to be anti-forced sodomy rather than consensual homosexuality. It can be easily confused. I think it might be interesting thing to bring up when talking to Christians.
...I... what? How do you know that?

And no. There isn't a mistranslation. First, learn some language history.

Sodomy was in a denotative sense GAY BUTT SEX BECAUSE YOU'RE GAY.

Playing semantic games with the language based on modern language idiosyncrasies is beyond bunk. Sodomy was homosexuality. Period.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post