Anti-Homosexuality In The Bible a Mistranslation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 04:21 PM
RE: Anti-Homosexuality In The Bible a Mistranslation?
Sodomy (/ˈsɒdəmi/) is any non-penile/vaginal copulation-like act, such as oral or anal sex, or sex between a person and an animal.

Don't sodomize my mouth!

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
13-12-2012, 04:33 PM
(13-12-2012 04:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  GAY BUTT SEX BECAUSE YOU'RE GAY.
Saving that puppy for a future out-of-context quote.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
13-12-2012, 04:50 PM
The best part about all this "did the Bible condemn gay sex?" talk you always hear about from Christians is that the Bible actually went further than that. The Bible condemns ALL sex. Why do you think priests and nuns remain unmarried and abstinent? After the sperm-flinging, God-approved orgy in the Old Testament, the New Testament pulls a 180 and praises celibacy. In Matthew 19, Jesus tells disciples that "it is not good to marry" and praises eunuchs and encourages others to be like them. Sex and sexual organs are so unpleasant to the Lord, I'm starting to think that circumcision was meant to cut off a lot more and we half-assed it. "Is this enough Lord? Just the tip of the skin, right? Cause I'm not cutting any more."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
13-12-2012, 05:25 PM
(13-12-2012 04:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Since back in Jacob's time, there was a lot of forced sodomy just like the environment of a prison. So it's very likely that there is a mistranslation where it was meant to be anti-forced sodomy rather than consensual homosexuality. It can be easily confused. I think it might be interesting thing to bring up when talking to Christians.
...I... what? How do you know that?

And no. There isn't a mistranslation. First, learn some language history.

Sodomy was in a denotative sense GAY BUTT SEX BECAUSE YOU'RE GAY.

Playing semantic games with the language based on modern language idiosyncrasies is beyond bunk. Sodomy was homosexuality. Period.

...Sodomy.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
13-12-2012, 05:28 PM
(13-12-2012 04:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 12:57 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  Since back in Jacob's time, there was a lot of forced sodomy just like the environment of a prison. So it's very likely that there is a mistranslation where it was meant to be anti-forced sodomy rather than consensual homosexuality. It can be easily confused. I think it might be interesting thing to bring up when talking to Christians.
...I... what? How do you know that?

And no. There isn't a mistranslation. First, learn some language history.

Sodomy was in a denotative sense GAY BUTT SEX BECAUSE YOU'RE GAY.

Playing semantic games with the language based on modern language idiosyncrasies is beyond bunk. Sodomy was homosexuality. Period.
No, if you go to prison, many of the people would not consider sodomy to be homosexual.

These people don't think like you and I, sex isn't about mutual pleasure.
13-12-2012, 05:33 PM
(13-12-2012 05:28 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  No, if you go to prison, many of the people would not consider sodomy to be homosexual.

1) The Bible doesn't describe sodomy as prison sex.
2) The connotative understanding of prison sex is irrelevant to the Bible's use of the word.
3) Stop using semantics.
4) Stop using modern definitions and imposing them upon older definitions.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
13-12-2012, 05:43 PM
lolwut?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
13-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Soooooo fucking irrelevant. Homosexual sodomy can either be consensual or nonconsensual act, but it is homosexual either way. Nor does it matter that prisoners conducting such acts consider it merely a tool of domination (giver is never gay, only the forced receiver in their view). Thing is, it doesn't matter how you view it, if you just fucked a man in the ass with your dick, you just committed a homosexual act. From my understanding the bible condemns homosexual acts themselves, it doesn't give a shit about what sort of power relations were going on or whether the sinner didn't consider themselves a homosexual.

[Image: giphy.gif]
13-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Even more irrelevant than that. Was the Bible mistranslated? Probably! On this particular subject? I dunno, maybe, but I doubt it. Does it matter? NOT AT ALL! People today believe what people today believe, and what they're studying today in Bible Study is the modern Bible, mistranslations or no. THAT'S what's down the street from us, THAT'S what's on our plate, and anyone trying to address modern Christianity and Christians are taking their eyes off the ball if they get bogged down in what the Bible used to say.

Warning Labels: Long-winded. Twisted sense of humor (including puns, literalisms, absurdisms, all complicated by sarcasm and deadpan delivery). Contrarian. Do not combine with high quantities of sugar, acid (corrosive or hallucinogenic), or people who take themselves too seriously.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
13-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp