Anti-Religeon vs. Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Anti-Religeon vs. Atheism
I have recently converted to atheism, and have only very recently begun doing much reading on the subject and have come across something that makes me curious.

A lot of what I see discussed seems to be directed at Christians in an apparent attempt to convert them, or to disprove Christianity. And I wonder why that is. Don't get me wrong. I live in Northeast Georgia so I am very well aware of how obnoxious some so-called Christians can be with their efforts to force their religion on me, but as long as they don't try to use the government to do it then while it annoys me it doesn't particularly concern me. They have the rights of free speech and freedom of religion just like I do.

Maybe it is because I have not yet had an experience where someone has had an issue with me being an atheist that I don't feel the need to push back. Maybe I am just too laid back for my own good. I don't know.

Any thoughts, opinions or random musings are welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2013, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 06:18 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Anti-Religeon vs. Atheism
I am an antitheist for similar reasons to why some Christians are evangelists. I am upset not only by harm done by religion to cultures (hate, division, genocide, sexism), but by the harm religion does to individuals. I consider devoting your life, and your heart, to a lie, to be incredibly sad and self-abusive. I liken it to a wife who doesn't know her husband is cheating on her. Is it better to leave her as a happy wife caught in the illusion that she has a perfect faithful husband? Or is it better to show her the reality that her husband is in fact cheating on her, and isn't what he seems?

Living in fantasy is harmful, and while I won't attack individuals and their personal relationship with fantasy, I will speak out against the concept of living in fantasy because that's the best way I can be honest with myself. If I want to be honest with myself, I'll say that I dislike religion, and I would love to see it get destroyed.

Yes, people have their right to their own beliefs, I can respect that. But that doesn't mean I need to pretend that I think their beliefs aren't ridiculous and harmful.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
27-12-2013, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 06:19 PM by Heathen.)
I think that my personal experience is rather common; years of indoctrination, years of searching, years of agnosticism, acceptance of my atheism, and then anger. The anger for many lasts a very long time, perhaps for ever and it comes across as rebelliousness and, as you say, obnoxiousness. Many get stuck there. For myself, I've settled down about it and generally try hard not to be offensive and confrontational. I take a much more subtle approach. That's not to say that I can't get riled up; I can. I don't back down from a fight but I'm not looking for one either. I pick my battles and am not afraid to express myself when I think it matters.

If I may plug the Thinking Atheist Podcasts, I think that Seth does a great job of conveying my personal thoughts and feelings about this. We are of like minds on this and it's one of the big reasons why I enjoy the podcasts. I see you are new here, you should check it out, they will lead you to many other speakers, scientists, activists and authors.

Oh, and Welcome!

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 2 users Like Heathen's post
27-12-2013, 06:16 PM
What Adrianime and heathen said, plus child indoctrination. If you think it's no big deal to indoctrinate children (not saying that's what you think Smile ) watch Jesus camp. My heart breaks for those children.

Not to mention their war on sex. Getting to know yourself and express yourself sexually is so important, and those abstinence only programs are really damaging to young folks.

And the religious are currently controlling our laws and government. "In god we trust" on our money, "under god" in our pledge of allegiance. Blue laws, which dictate when alcoholic beverages can be sold, marriage rights, abortion rights, contraceptive rights... Etc.

Now, I don't do anything myself, I'm a pretty reserved atheist, and I don't enjoy debate. I am grateful for those who are out fighting to good fight.

Welcome Lucid!
Emily
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
27-12-2013, 06:21 PM
I think I need to listen to these podcasts everyone is always talking about.

I live in an area where everyone is very militant and argumentative about beliefs, and it's become a regular thing for people to put on little immature displays in public. There are also more serious things that happen but I'm not going to get into that right now....just saying that if you live in a town with vocal idiotic Christians you will feel differently than someone who doesn't.

Anyway, I'm mostly just concerned with the harm religion does. Everyone already said what I was thinking.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
27-12-2013, 06:22 PM
I have learned that it is best to be humble and not impose arguments for my lack of belief on anyone. Otherwise it puts me in the same category as those who try to impose their religious beliefs on others.
[+] 5 users Like Takelababy's post
27-12-2013, 06:40 PM
(27-12-2013 06:22 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I have learned that it is best to be humble and not impose arguments for my lack of belief on anyone. Otherwise it puts me in the same category as those who try to impose their religious beliefs on others.

Some believers wear their belief on there sleeves. Everything in their lives is connected to it. Some atheists are the same.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
27-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I live in Canada... How come so many of my winter tools are for removing ice and snow?
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
27-12-2013, 06:56 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 07:08 PM by Adrianime.)
I think I agree with Takelababy, but I'm not 100% sure what you meant by that. So I'll just say I don't believe in "pushing atheism" onto people. For several reasons: it would be the same (from the theist's perspective) as "pushing religion", it just isn't successful, and it is not the best way to discover ones beliefs.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
27-12-2013, 06:59 PM
(27-12-2013 06:22 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  I have learned that it is best to be humble and not impose arguments for my lack of belief on anyone. Otherwise it puts me in the same category as those who try to impose their religious beliefs on others.

No, it won't. The two positions are not equivalent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post