Anti-Religeon vs. Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: Anti-Religeon vs. Atheism
(08-01-2014 05:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I generally only play the "atheist" card when I don't want to argue metaphysics with some delusional dimwit. My own personal metaphysics are more subtle than that what with me being my own personal Jesus and shit. I don't need to believe in God in order to find value in the teachings of Jesus or any other Bodhisattva for that matter. No reason to corrupt The Word with religion. And I'm areligious instead of anti-religion for similar reasons. Religion just ain't worth my time. I can do this all by myself.

But that's just me. I realize that the anti-theists are providing a worthwhile service to humanity, it just ain't for Girly.

Fair enough.

I don't proselytize, I just call "bullshit" when I encounter bullshit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 06:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-01-2014 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 05:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I generally only play the "atheist" card when I don't want to argue metaphysics with some delusional dimwit. My own personal metaphysics are more subtle than that what with me being my own personal Jesus and shit. I don't need to believe in God in order to find value in the teachings of Jesus or any other Bodhisattva for that matter. No reason to corrupt The Word with religion. And I'm areligious instead of anti-religion for similar reasons. Religion just ain't worth my time. I can do this all by myself.

But that's just me. I realize that the anti-theists are providing a worthwhile service to humanity, it just ain't for Girly.

Fair enough.

I agree. But once bullshit has been recognized and called further engagement is a waste of time. ... Consider ... Unless I'm bored and looking for some mischief. Big Grin

[Image: 280sw0yu335-1.gif]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
08-01-2014, 06:05 PM
(08-01-2014 06:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fair enough.

I agree. But once bullshit has been recognized and called further engagement is a waste of time. ... Consider ... Unless I'm bored and looking for some mischief. Big Grin

You make an amusing argument. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2014, 01:08 AM
I have been an atheist for my entire life (20 years or so) , and I've seen what religion can do to people and society. In my country there was a religion that teaches people not to visit the hospital or take medicine when they are ill. I think the best way to promote atheism is not just debating and disagreeing with religious people, but to improve *science education* in the public. People need to understand how science works.

Even though most people I know are not religious, some of them still don't understand many basic concepts in science. They oppose GMO because they think these types of food are not "natural". They don't believe evolution, and pose idiotic questions like "If the theory of evolution is true, how come there are still chimpanzees today". They think global warming is not real because they saw the Zeitgeist documentary. These people are not idiots, they are just ignorant.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes womendezuguo's post