Anti-aging science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Anti-aging science
A recent thread on anti-aging that focsed more on appearance, got me searching around on the net about the state of anti-aging science. There is some recent research that shows that even if humans never find effective anti-aging therapies, at least we can make mice live a long time:

(tolemerase realted)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/...ice-humans

(NAD related)

http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/ageing-suc...begin-next

....but I'm having a hard time finding reliable information about slowing or reversing aging in humans. Admittedly, I'm not the best at sorting this kind of thing out. i have a hard time sorting the snake oil from the real deal.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 01:02 AM
RE: Anti-aging science
Is anti-aging just a less crazed term for natural immortality?

Aging is the natural deterioration of tissue - bone, muscle, brain, etc. If you stop deterioration, you're immortal (baring accidents or murder).

So is the scenario one where the goal is to be able to live forever just as long as you're safe, fed, and get your regular injections or pills?
11-02-2014, 04:55 AM
Journalists exaggerate scientific findings to cause a sensation-effect, thereby distorting the truth.

If you want to find out about the aging process, read this review, which was published in Cell: http://www.cell.com/retrieve/pii/S0092867413000160. It is free access and easy to read.

There is sufficient information in the former thread to educate yourself on this topic. If there are any further questions, I am happy to provide answers. As I mentioned previously, my research happens to focus on the structural and mechanical study of telomerase and associated proteins.

If you want to inform yourself online, I have a some advice for you:

1) Don't trust newspapers. Journalists always distort things and often have very little to no understanding on the subject they want to report.

2) Get a good understanding of the subject, so you can question and think critically yourself.

3) Don't trust everything on pubmed. A lot of papers out there are contradictory. It is your job to read through them, question them critically and evaluate the presented experiments. I know that people who are not in the field won't be able to do so. Therefore, I will give you a tip: Look at the publishing Journal. High impact journals review papers much more thoroughly before they get accepted for publishing. That decreases the risk of publishing something, which is highly controversial. But always keep in mind, the presented conclusion might be wrong.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
11-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Is
it possible to make a list of generally trustworthy sources/links to research sites? For laymen it is difficult to find reliable sources at times.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-02-2014, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2014 09:17 AM by Youkay.)
Yes, I can absolutely understand your point. For me, it is absolutely difficult to find reliable historical data. And even if I found data that is deemed to be reliable, it is difficult for me to question it, because I have very very little knowledge to do so. So I would feel at a loss.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way. Study will always be the best thing to do. Another thing to do would be to listen to people debating a topic and trying to understand where they come from. But it would be absolutely imperative to lay aside your bias to form an independent, reasonable opinion.

When it comes to aging, unfortunately a lot of people can not put aside their bias, because they are afraid of aging. For the same reason that people are so very ready to accept the concept of heaven and eternal life, atheists are ready to accept the concept of immortality or prolonged youth on earth. If you really seek truth, and not consolation, you should definitely lay aside your instinctual bias.

As I said, I am happy to provide answers to your questions. And people can argue with what I say, given that they sufficiently substantiate their claims. I guarantee that I will be polite and respectful, but only as long as the other person remains respectful as well (not like Cephalotus).

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
11-02-2014, 09:01 AM
That was more a philosophical answer. To answer your question more directly:

I would suggest that you go on pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) and look for review articles that discuss aging. But make sure that it is published in a proper scientific journal (http://archive.sciencewatch.com/dr/sci/08/jul13-08_4/).

In reviews, controversies are often pointed out. And you will find that almost everything is substantiated with a reference. So if you are in doubt, you could go and look up that particular reference.

But because you are not in the field, you will have to do a looooot of reading. Maybe, you will read the first sentence and read up things that we consider to be basics in books or on wikipedia. You should definitely do so to get an understanding.

[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
11-02-2014, 09:15 AM
Thank you, Youkay for the advice and links!

11-02-2014, 09:59 AM
(11-02-2014 08:45 AM)Youkay Wrote:  Yes, I can absolutely understand your point. For me, it is absolutely difficult to find reliable historical data. And even if I found data that is deemed to be reliable, it is difficult for me to question it, because I have very very little knowledge to do so. So I would feel at a loss.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way. Study will always be the best thing to do. Another thing to do would be to listen to people debating a topic and trying to understand where they come from. But it would be absolutely imperative to lay aside your bias to form an independent, reasonable opinion.

When it comes to aging, unfortunately a lot of people can not put aside their bias, because they are afraid of aging. For the same reason that people are so very ready to accept the concept of heaven and eternal life, atheists are ready to accept the concept of immortality or prolonged youth on earth. If you really seek truth, and not consolation, you should definitely lay aside your instinctual bias.

As I said, I am happy to provide answers to your questions. And people can argue with what I say, given that they sufficiently substantiate their claims. I guarantee that I will be polite and respectful, but only as long as the other person remains respectful as well (not like Cephalotus).

Haha, I am already old and there is nothing scary here so far. Not at all interested in living forever, but slowing some physical deterioration would be interesting, not really for beauty reasons but for health reasons. Staying stronger longer is attractive, the main issue with aging is diminishing strength IMO. The same life span with improved physical capacity is intriguing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-02-2014, 04:50 PM
(11-02-2014 07:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  Is it possible to make a list of generally trustworthy sources/links to research sites? For laymen it is difficult to find reliable sources at times.

Longecity.com forums have some intelligent lay comprehensible threads. There's a bunch of smart fuckers over there and the ones who aren't don't tend to try to be. There's usually at least one to point out the pros and another to point out the cons. I agree with Youkay and I go to pubmed but before I'll go to pubmed I got a pretty specific question in mind to narrow down the search space and even then I can usually only get through the abstract, intro and conclusion and even that sometimes takes a shitload of work when they start getting into the various metabolic pathways and proteins and whatnot. Another good site which does a pretty good job of keeping the cookies on the lower shelf where I can kinda sorta reach them is KurzweilAI.net.

Interestingly many of the supplements I take for hyperglycemia are being investigated for potential life extension properties: metformin, resveratrol, niacinamide/nicotinamide, curcumin.

And here's a famous physicist turned even more famous network scientist who talks about disease and aging in an interesting way.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
12-02-2014, 05:09 PM
(12-02-2014 04:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Another good site which does a pretty good job of keeping the cookies on the lower shelf where I can kinda sorta reach them is KurzweilAI.net.

Interestingly many of the supplements I take for hyperglycemia are being investigated for potential life extension properties: metformin, resveratrol, niacinamide/nicotinamide, curcumin.

That might be an interesting site to check. I think I need low shelf cookies. The only biology class I've ever had was in high school 1000 years ago, and I wasn't paying much attention. I always preferred the math oriented sciences.

It's hard for a layman to sort fact from fraud on this stuff. Even resveratrol, has failed attempts to reproduce the results in mice and rats. Curcumin, at least in the form of turmeric, seems to have health benefits even if it doesn't slow aging - and it's nice and flavorful too. The only one I'm aware of that (so far at least) doesn't cause cancer and seems to still be standing from an anti-aging perspective, is NAD?