Anti-aging science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 02:13 PM
RE: Anti-aging science
(16-02-2014 01:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 01:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  These are relevant but I don't see how they could be stitched together. Maybe a sub-forum if there's enough interest? Up until now it's mainly just been myself and DeepThought interested in this.

Anti-aging science

Anti-Aging

Anti-Ageing on the Cheap

NF-kappaB Regulation and Ageing

Zat getting pissed at us again

New organ grown from stem cells

Do you take vitamins and other supplements?

Onnit supplements: real science, or woo?

I can actually merge all the threads but honestly that would just be a clusterfuck. A subforum would probably be a bit over kill. What you could do is quote mine those threads and bring the relative posts into this conversation.

Or maybe sticky a thread which has links to the other threads which gets updated when a new thread is created 'cause the current ones don't cover it? And I'd sticky it in HealthyPsychos instead Science.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 03:09 PM
(16-02-2014 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 01:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I can actually merge all the threads but honestly that would just be a clusterfuck. A subforum would probably be a bit over kill. What you could do is quote mine those threads and bring the relative posts into this conversation.

Or maybe sticky a thread which has links to the other threads which gets updated when a new thread is created 'cause the current ones don't cover it? And I'd sticky it in HealthyPsychos instead Science.

Done

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-02-2014, 04:03 PM
(16-02-2014 03:09 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 02:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Or maybe sticky a thread which has links to the other threads which gets updated when a new thread is created 'cause the current ones don't cover it? And I'd sticky it in HealthyPsychos instead Science.

Done

Nice. Thumbsup

16-02-2014, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 07:33 PM by Youkay.)
No, do not merge. As you say it would become a cluster fuck and only by talking about this merging thing, you already littered this thread with irrelevant posts. Maybe you can now delete those posts which have absolutely nothing to do with the matter of discussion?

GirlyMan, in your case taking testestorone is surely a good therapy. Of course it depends on the person. Hormone therapy as anti-aging treatment though is potentially unhealthy.

In my response to Toadaly, I asked some questions to encourage some critical thinking and understanding. How about addressing those questions and continuing the discussion on this topic?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
16-02-2014, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 08:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-02-2014 07:15 PM)Youkay Wrote:  GirlyMan, in your case taking testestorone is surely a good therapy. Of course it depends on the person. Hormone therapy as anti-aging treatment though is potentially unhealthy.

Yes, on all counts. I been arguing the same thing with my bigass bodybuilding brother about growth hormone supplementation. "Dude, that shit's gonna feed any looking-to-be cancer cells to help promote them to proper cancer cells ." "But look at my lat spread, Bob." "Yes, Dave, the rhomboids are particularly impressive and your buttcrack is halfway up your back, but that's besides the point."

[Image: latspread_zpsf4bc73c5.jpg]

16-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I really do not want to do small-talk about aging-science. If you want to ask serious questions, do serious talk or want to talk about the questions i brought up (http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...id496103), I am definitely up for it. Just want to keep this more "professional" to get rid of anti-aging woo-woos

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
16-02-2014, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 08:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-02-2014 08:18 PM)Youkay Wrote:  I really do not want to do small-talk about aging-science. If you want to ask serious questions, do serious talk or want to talk about the questions i brought up (http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...id496103), I am definitely up for it. Just want to keep this more "professional" to get rid of anti-aging woo-woos

Sounds like you going all Zatamon and shit on Girly. Pffft. ... M'Kay. ... Did you see my brother's lat spread? Tongue

16-02-2014, 09:00 PM
No, I don't mean offense. I am just declaring that I wont be in for small talk. I think it abolishes the seriousness of a topic that has so many misconceptions. Nothing against you, so please don't take it as a personal attack or anything.

16-02-2014, 10:53 PM
(16-02-2014 12:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Recall that I design my supplementation around lowering my sugars and just find it curious that many of the supplements which lower blood sugar are also being investigated by anti-aging researchers. Metformin, for example, may extend lifespan by effectively mimicking some of the effects of calorie restriction and some healthy people take it based on that speculation alone but that's not why I take it. I take it to control my sugars which is a more pressing and immediate concern.

If you need it, then there does seem to be some indication it slows aging via its antiinflamatory properties, but it can have some very serious side effects.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
16-02-2014, 11:37 PM
(16-02-2014 06:35 AM)Youkay Wrote:  NAD is part of the Mitochondrial theory of aging. And I do not think it is convincing.

The mitochondrial theory, or the usage of NAD supplements, or both?

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.