Anti-anti-GMO rant...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Anti-anti-GMO rant...
My best friend posted this nonsense on my facebook wall...

[Image: 971319_434616243304218_1736725479_n.jpg]

...and I went straight off right here...

*rantilicious*

...which I share for your amusement. Thumbsup

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like houseofcantor's post
27-06-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: Anti-anti-GMO rant...
(27-06-2013 11:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  My best friend posted this nonsense on my facebook wall...

[Image: 971319_434616243304218_1736725479_n.jpg]

...and I went straight off right here...

*rantilicious*

...which I share for your amusement. Thumbsup

The anti-GMO crowd sounds a lot like the anti same-sex marriage crowd.

They have no actual argument, just they think it's icky so they concoct some rationalization.

These are people who wouldn't take ascorbic acid or pharmaceutical vitamin C, but will pay extra for "organic, all-natural vitamin C".

Same fucking thing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah, but - science is scary!

... when you don't understand it.
Find all posts by this user
27-06-2013, 12:18 PM
(27-06-2013 12:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yeah, but - science is scary!

Science is work, is what it is. Tongue

27-06-2013, 12:20 PM
(27-06-2013 12:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yeah, but - science is scary!

And sometimes when you do. Shocking

[Image: atom-bomb-bikini-atoll_8003_990x742.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-06-2013, 03:14 PM
The crops themselves can be great, such as nutrient-enriched rice which has helped to fight disease and vitamin deficiency. My only opposition is to the corporate patent holders. Their contracts are unethical and overly controlling. You can't just buy seeds and get farming; they specify how you plant the seeds, what you can and cannot buy, who you can and cannot buy from, how to fertilize, what pesticides to use on the crops and how to use them, that you cannot save your seeds, that you are subject to inspections, and all this legal nonsense that makes you Monsanto's bitch (Monsanto being the worst offender I am aware of).

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 2 users Like Elesjei's post
27-06-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 04:25 PM by kim.)
When a farmer saves seed from his crop (which he's been doing since, forever) he's continuing a crop of non-gmo food. If his field is contaminated from another farmer's field, his non-gmo food is suddenly a mixture of genetically modified and his own non-gmo crop... they often form a hybrid crop.

Said farmer will also owe (Monsanto or whomever) because he's now planting someone's patented genetically modified crop and he didn't pay for it. And when his fields yield a hybrid, he hasn't ponied up to fuck with that patent so, he also gets sued for fucking with the patent on a seed planted in other farmers' fields. This has happened a lot already.

It's not just about the money - although it is for Monsanto (Dow, Bayer, etc.,.) - it's also about the nutritional value of a particular food. If you fuck with it enough, it loses it's natural nutritional value and quite possibly it's natural ability to fend off certain insects or possibly it's ability to attract certain bees.

Corn has already been fucked with so much that it's now not even genetically anywhere close to the corn anyone here ate as a kid. There is very little left in corn today that the human body can metabolize.

Who owns your food?

It's not as if this has just sprung up. People -farmers and other free peoples- have always saved seed and developed their own and now Monsanto and massive corporations want to own and patent the development that has always been free. They want to own every part of your life, including what you eat.

I'd say more but I'm rushing off to work now however... finally, just this week a farmer is suing Monsanto. GOOD! Fuck them. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
27-06-2013, 06:28 PM
It's always about the money. Stats off the top of my head are Monsanto takes in about 29% in profit while the farmer gets 59%, the rest among the distributors.

But I don't know. Number 2 was up next. Thumbsup

27-06-2013, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2013 06:53 PM by ridethespiral.)
I'm not against GMO I'm against how GMO is being used by the chemical industry to support unsustainable monoculture farming, the near extinction of the honey bee, and the mass introduction of harmful chemical herbicides and pesticides in the water and air (if they are so safe go drink a bottle of round up and prove me wrong).

I'd be fine with larger fruit or more corn per stalk but that's not what is going on, these guys are pushing GMOs that simply aim to make subsidized cash crops resistant to herbicide (so that it can be used year round and enter rain water during the summer months) or to make the plants produce nicotine like insecticides which cause cancer and kill honey bees. Farming has become an industrialized process and it is locked in an arms race with nature (even the round up is failing now and monsanto is pushing patents for agent orange derivative resistant strains). We where never meant to grow and eat only corn and soy, farmers are supposed to diversify and rotate not obliterate the land and soil to take advantage of government subsidies. Cattle are supposed to graze on C02 absorbing grasslands not eat GMO corn in a pen all day (this is why we have global warming more so than cars/electricity).

...and don't even get me started on anti-biotics in the meat industry.

...or the absurdity of gene patents.

...or Monsanto's questionable legal practices.

...Or their involvement in the Vietnam war and the suffering they gave rise too over generations of Vietnamese children.

[+] 2 users Like ridethespiral's post
27-06-2013, 08:57 PM
(27-06-2013 06:40 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I'm not against GMO I'm against how GMO is being used by the chemical industry to support unsustainable monoculture farming, the near extinction of the honey bee, and the mass introduction of harmful chemical herbicides and pesticides in the water and air (if they are so safe go drink a bottle of round up and prove me wrong).

I'd be fine with larger fruit or more corn per stalk but that's not what is going on, these guys are pushing GMOs that simply aim to make subsidized cash crops resistant to herbicide (so that it can be used year round and enter rain water during the summer months) or to make the plants produce nicotine like insecticides which cause cancer and kill honey bees. Farming has become an industrialized process and it is locked in an arms race with nature (even the round up is failing now and monsanto is pushing patents for agent orange derivative resistant strains). We where never meant to grow and eat only corn and soy, farmers are supposed to diversify and rotate not obliterate the land and soil to take advantage of government subsidies. Cattle are supposed to graze on C02 absorbing grasslands not eat GMO corn in a pen all day (this is why we have global warming more so than cars/electricity).

...and don't even get me started on anti-biotics in the meat industry.

...or the absurdity of gene patents.

...or Monsanto's questionable legal practices.

...Or their involvement in the Vietnam war and the suffering they gave rise too over generations of Vietnamese children.

If I remember correctly, there's no correlation between GMOs and honeybees; it's a virus or parasite. The RoundUp patent has expired. The glyophospate used in RoundUp is cat four, the lowest FDA warning; there's no contamination occurring from run-off.

And the way I see it is like this. Back in the day, Monsanto sends a rep out to the farmers, tells them how they can cut costs with their product. The farmers think, more profit, less work, sign us up. Nobody wants to think of any kind of tomorrow beyond the harvest, beyond the payday. It starts small, but builds, season to season, with more and more subscribers... and it's only between the farmers and Monsanto. Nobody else knows anything.

Then the Internet happens. People start communicating. People start asking questions.

Gee, Farmer Bob, did you sell our children's future for today's paycheck?

Well, I didn't know that was gonna happen... besides, they're evil! I didn't know their shit causes cancer, pollutes rivers, kills bees! Go talk to them!

Hmmn. Dodgy

The first paragraph is from shit I just skimmed through researching my rant, I don't have the sources at hand, I cannot be certain I'm not misinterpreting or misinterpretating the data. It was tangential to the focus of my presentation.

Anybody wants to come up with sourced data for or against, I'll take it and incorporate into the next bit. If I can take away the nonsense from some of these anti-GMO slactivists and give them some actual ammo, that's a win, too. I'm not pro-GMO, I'm pro-science.

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post