Anti-anti-GMO rant...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2013, 02:42 AM
RE: Anti-anti-GMO rant...
(27-06-2013 10:18 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(27-06-2013 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  The anti-GMO crowd sounds a lot like the anti same-sex marriage crowd.

They have no actual argument, just they think it's icky so they concoct some rationalization.

These are people who wouldn't take ascorbic acid or pharmaceutical vitamin C, but will pay extra for "organic, all-natural vitamin C".

Same fucking thing.

The one valid argument in the Anti-GMO's arsenal is the ability of Monsanto and other biotech companies to patent these strains of wheat and other types of genetically engineered or modified organisms. It raises a number of ethical questions about who owns a living thing and what rights does said organism have.

Well, those people are standing under the wrong fucking banner, marching to the wrong music, wearing the wrong tin-foil hat.

"Anti-GMO" isn't the same as "Anti-Monsanto". Some people are concerned about health risks of GMO foods, others at corporate greed. They need to sort out what it is who is against.

Paint some different banners so we know what the fuck you are against, people.Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-06-2013, 02:49 AM
(28-06-2013 02:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Paint some different banners so we know what the fuck you are against, people.Angry
Whatever it is...

I'm against it. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
28-06-2013, 05:21 PM
The people that don't understand how this kind of science works are the only ones protesting it. Which is most of the right wingers, and a lot of liberals.

People believe that GMO's are harmful mostly because the name sounds kind of evil, Genetically Modified Organisms. The acronym sounds like it's made in a lab by a crazy group of scientists trying to poison people by inputting various codes into the DNA of a fruit or vegetable in order to have mass mind control of the citizens of America most of which don't care.

I for one, don't care at all about GMO's. If you can genetically modify corn to be more bountiful in order to make more food, go at it. Genetically modified foods might be the key to solving world hunger! Maybe some scientists can modify food to grow in harsher ecosystems (such as africa)!
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
28-06-2013, 08:11 PM
One of the reasons of updating my sig was to have a place to post issues such as these. Thumbsup

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-06-2013, 08:39 PM
(28-06-2013 05:21 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  The people that don't understand how this kind of science works are the only ones protesting it. Which is most of the right wingers, and a lot of liberals.

People believe that GMO's are harmful mostly because the name sounds kind of evil, Genetically Modified Organisms. The acronym sounds like it's made in a lab by a crazy group of scientists trying to poison people by inputting various codes into the DNA of a fruit or vegetable in order to have mass mind control of the citizens of America most of which don't care.

I for one, don't care at all about GMO's. If you can genetically modify corn to be more bountiful in order to make more food, go at it. Genetically modified foods might be the key to solving world hunger! Maybe some scientists can modify food to grow in harsher ecosystems (such as africa)!

I agree GMO can be a really good thing. Hell maybe one day we can grow the equivalent of redwood high-rises complete with furnishings, food, water and energy. I would love to see GMO targeting growth in arid lands (we will need it with global warming trends), GMO that mitigates evolutionary arms race mutations like excessive plant height to allow better or more efficient yield...but I see far more herbicide and pesticide abuse than real genetic breakthrough...we just aren't that good yet.

Also this issue gets bogged down with the rest of agra-businesses baggage....We really need to start thinking about locally sourcing food, about free grazing our cattle, about conserving our soil and protecting our water...factory farming is really harmful in so many ways long term but looks so good short term (ironically just like the food being produced). GMO is the latest tool in the box for big agra to bludgeon the little man with, it and the overuse of anti-biotics are the only things keeping it going despite itself.

30-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Fucking thank you HoC. I'm always debating anti-GMO people. My major source of annoyance stems from the fact that ALL of them bring up MONSANTO. Excuse me, but Monsanto is a corrupt business that USES GMOs. They are not what GMOs are. That's like saying all chicken is bad because of KFC.

Missing from all these mindless anti-GMO rants and links? Microfuckingbiologists. Yea, let me go ask my family doctor about Genetically Modified Organisms. While I'm at it, I'm gonna ask the shoe salesman about how I can change the belts in my car engine.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 4 users Like NoahsFarce's post