Anti austerity party syriza win.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Anti austerity party syriza win.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30975437

Some bold talk coming from the leader of syriza. Is he full of hot air and illegal promises or could he mean it and potentially rock the status quo?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2015, 08:08 PM
RE: Anti austerity party syriza win.
Quote: Is he full of hot air and illegal promises or could he mean it and potentially rock the status quo?

He wont stay in office for very long if he doesn't mean what he's been saying.
I'd say he means it.

Though it's not up to him if he is successful or not. It comes down to Germany and other large EU countries and they've already said they don't want a bar of his shit. He can talk all the big talk he wants, he's not really in a position to do anything about it.

[Image: sumo-kid%5B1%5D.jpg]

In saying that, it's all about $$ and it's not financially viable to anyone to just let Greece financially collapse. That doesn't benefit Germany, France etc.. and it certainly doesn't benefit Greece. And so of course compromise's will be made. I think what will happen is that this guy is more willing to risk a Greek collapse than his predecessors and so he will be successful in getting better deals because where he draws the line of acceptable compromise is a lot further along and closer to the rest of EU's line of "fuck it, we'll just let Greece collapse". If that makes sense.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
25-01-2015, 08:32 PM
(25-01-2015 08:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If that makes sense.

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Im not sure of the legality of what they want to happen. Im not sure if their debt contracts will allow renogitations or where greece as a country stands with it all.

25-01-2015, 09:00 PM
(25-01-2015 08:32 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(25-01-2015 08:08 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If that makes sense.

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Im not sure of the legality of what they want to happen. Im not sure if their debt contracts will allow renogitations or where greece as a country stands with it all.

Legality is different when it's country to country. You can't put a country in jail or physically take their assets (well you can, it's called war, but that wont happen in this case.), you can only inflict consequences such as sanctions or refusal to give more bailouts etc..

It's a balancing act. If you're the EU you want to show that you wont be dictated too, especially regarding lending your own money, but you also don't want Greece to collapse. If you're Greece you want to get as good deal as possible when borrowing but you too don't want Greece to collapse. The law doesn't really come into it, it's all about $$ and maximizing ones own gain of $$.

I mean what is the EU gonna do? Say "that's illegal" so fucking what?
The war in Iraq was deemed illegal yet that still happened. It's pointless to say something is illegal. The only relevant thing is what comes of it, consequences.

[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
25-01-2015, 09:10 PM
It's not so easy for the other countries, Germany in particular, to go along with the "I want my cake, and I want to eat it too, but only if you pay for it all" party. Many in the countries propping up Greece are resentful of bailing out a country that is perceived to have spent money on government services well beyond their ability to pay for it.

A country that has no financial discipline being able to hold up the other states in the union for free money would have a corrosive affect on the union that already is fraying at the edges with popular support for the union at alltime lows in formerly strong supporting states. Greece is in the position to potentially unravel the EU if the newly elected leaders have their way. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other whether that is good or bad, but that's what it is.
25-01-2015, 10:24 PM
I do believe greece is in it forever, as membership of the european union is irrevocable. Greece shouldnt even be in anyway in the first place by the European unions own rules. They had the help of goldman sachs to create swaps that contributed to them being accepted. Circumnavigating the system or fraud, its hard to differentiate a definition between the two in the banking world.

26-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Quote:I do believe greece is in it forever, as membership of the european union is irrevocable.

Again, this is countries we're talking about. If members with enough political power want Greece out of the EU as a consequence of Greece breaching their bailout contract, than the chances are good that Greece will be kicked out.

26-01-2015, 01:09 PM
(26-01-2015 06:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I do believe greece is in it forever, as membership of the european union is irrevocable.

Again, this is countries we're talking about. If members with enough political power want Greece out of the EU as a consequence of Greece breaching their bailout contract, than the chances are good that Greece will be kicked out.

That would start a mad rush out of the EU by those same powers. Would be the beginning of the end for the EU if they kicked Greece out or let it collapse.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
26-01-2015, 04:24 PM
He's an atheist and doesn't want to be sworn in by the Greek Archbishop.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2015/01/...ical-oath/

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-01-2015, 11:03 AM
I hope he kicks the Troika's teeth in.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 1 user Likes Res Publica's post