Anti austerity party syriza win.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 12:53 PM
RE: Anti austerity party syriza win.
How did I miss this thread? Consider

Tsipras is interesting. He's probably one of the few party leaders who, I feel, are honest about their intentions.

But let's not take it too far. Leftists around the world are celebrating this as a great victory, but let's face it. I've been making fun of the guy since he first appeared in politics. He's trying to be both a communist and an ally of the EU, which is ridiculous.

However, it's not just the first time we have a left-wing prime minister, it's also the first time we have such a young prime minister, from a more humble, let's say, background than others before him who is also an atheist. That's interesting, to say the least.

Sadly, his success in becoming the prime minister does not indicate any rise in atheism or reason in Greece. Most of the people who voted for him were simply sick of the two leading parties that have been coming and going since the dictatorship ended, which were both pro-austerity.

Gee, what am I trying to say here? I just hope, I can only hope, that he will handle things the way he promised he would. I never had such expectations from others before him but this time I do. That must mean something.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
27-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Oh, and may I say that since his political oath, the news are all about his atheism, the party members' atheism, atheist kids and the subject of religion in schools and all that.

I'd like to think that's a good development.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
27-01-2015, 02:57 PM
(25-01-2015 10:24 PM)bemore Wrote:  I do believe greece is in it forever, as membership of the european union is irrevocable. Greece shouldnt even be in anyway in the first place by the European unions own rules. They had the help of goldman sachs to create swaps that contributed to them being accepted. Circumnavigating the system or fraud, its hard to differentiate a definition between the two in the banking world.

I'm sorry but the EU treaty specifically says you can voluntarily leave the EU. The treaty signed in Lisbon clearly states in article 50 that states have a withdrawal right. I am answering this without reading the rest of the topic so maybe someone has already discussed it.

Now discussing the topic, I don't see this as a good sign, and it could as well be the end of the EU; if Greece does leave it can be start of the avalanche.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-01-2015, 03:32 PM
(27-01-2015 02:57 PM)Blackout Wrote:  Now discussing the topic, I don't see this as a good sign, and it could as well be the end of the EU; if Greece does leave it can be start of the avalanche.

Well, I think the Greek people who have no jobs or live in the streets will disagree. They can't give many fucks about the EU when they hardly survive.

Are there any alternatives? The EU will never allow a debt relief and Greece will never be able to pay in time, leaving us in an eternal huge debt. How can a country ever recover from that?

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
27-01-2015, 03:40 PM
(27-01-2015 03:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 02:57 PM)Blackout Wrote:  Now discussing the topic, I don't see this as a good sign, and it could as well be the end of the EU; if Greece does leave it can be start of the avalanche.

Well, I think the Greek people who have no jobs or live in the streets will disagree. They can't give many fucks about the EU when they hardly survive.

Are there any alternatives? The EU will never allow a debt relief and Greece will never be able to pay in time, leaving us in an eternal huge debt. How can a country ever recover from that?

I fully agree, I'm talking about the EU side, not Greece... I understand why Greeks have an anti-EU sentiment, it makes perfect sense, and since the article 50 allows for members to leave, if Greece wishes to bail out, they can and should do it.

The only question here - And I'm not an expert on regional economics but I discuss within the little I know - Is if these new anti-austerity parties can indeed succeed in fixing what's wrong with Greece or are they more concerned with fulfilling their ideological agenda?

I'm not Greek but I am portuguese, I know how the EU can hurt the smaller countries and that's why I'm Euro-skeptical, even though I was always one in the first place... This party is far-left supposedly, I'm not sure if they are communist - On the other hand they don't have an absolute majority, they need support from the nationalists; I don't see collaborating with nationalists that regardless of what everyone thinks have an underlying white nationalist agenda (not only the Greek far right, but most far right parties in Europe have some neo-nazi traits) as something positive for Europe and Greece (not the EU itself but just the continent of Europe)

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-01-2015, 03:45 PM
(27-01-2015 03:40 PM)Blackout Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 03:32 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, I think the Greek people who have no jobs or live in the streets will disagree. They can't give many fucks about the EU when they hardly survive.

I fully agree, I'm talking about the EU side, not Greece... I understand why Greeks have an anti-EU sentiment, it makes perfect sense, and since the article 50 allows for members to leave, if Greece wishes to bail out, they can and should do it.

The only question here - And I'm not an expert on regional economics but I discuss within the little I know - Is if these new anti-austerity parties can indeed succeed in fixing what's wrong with Greece or are they more concerned with fulfilling their ideological agenda?

I'm not Greek but I am portuguese, I know how the EU can hurt the smaller countries and that's why I'm Euro-skeptical, even though I was always one in the first place... This party is far-left supposedly, I'm not sure if they are communist - On the other hand they don't have an absolute majority, they need support from the nationalists; I don't see collaborating with nationalists that regardless of what everyone thinks have an underlying white nationalist agenda (not only the Greek far right, but most far right parties in Europe have some neo-nazi traits) as something positive for Europe and Greece (not the EU itself but just the continent of Europe)

The problem is not so much the EU here but rather the German insistence on a failed policy (Austerity) that cripples a countries ability to deal with the economic downturn. It punishes the people that did not have a hand in the til for the boom and rather than taking it out of the bankers and corporations tries to claim that the Bus Driver on his pension is the real villain here. If Germany would relax it stance and allow a mixed approach of stimulus and long term book balancing then they would not have these almost violent backlashes. As it stands the EU may fall apart and that might not be a bad thing if a new entity rises up and everyone involved learns from their mistakes. But that of course is very unlikely to happen.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-01-2015, 03:57 PM
(27-01-2015 03:40 PM)Blackout Wrote:  I fully agree, I'm talking about the EU side, not Greece... I understand why Greeks have an anti-EU sentiment, it makes perfect sense, and since the article 50 allows for members to leave, if Greece wishes to bail out, they can and should do it.

Syriza is not a communist party and they're not exactly "far left". I doubt there's any agenda here (I mean, other than the one I suspect every politician has), mostly because they're not such an extreme left-wing party and they are even quite EU friendly.

They only received support from nationalists because no left-wing party would support them. That said, these specific ones are not far right either. We actually have a fascist party in the parliament, so anything else that's right-wing is pretty mild compared to that. The previous government was as far right as the nationalists that are in the government now.

I don't know if they will fix things and I can't care much about the EU or the impact our government will have on the EU, especially if you consider the fact that while a fascist party is gaining popularity in Greece, a left-wing party (not to mention a party which consists mainly of atheists) forms a government for the first time, in a country were "leftist" (and "atheist") is almost an insult. To me, that's pretty good.

-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
27-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Thank your for clarifying that blackout. I should of checked it myself but based what i said on this, and other articles out there...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/arti...iable.html

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.