Anti-earmark Tea Party Caucus takes $1 billion in earmarks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Exclamation Anti-earmark Tea Party Caucus takes $1 billion in earmarks
And just after the Midterms, when voters thought their vote for a Tea was electing something new and different! Tongue

By National Journal national Journal

By Reid Wilson
National Journal

Members of the Congressional Tea Party Caucus may tout their commitment to cutting government spending now, but they used the 111th Congress to request hundreds of earmarks that, taken cumulatively, added more than $1 billion to the federal budget.

According to a Hotline review of records compiled by Citizens Against Government Waste, the 52 members of the caucus, which pledges to cut spending and reduce the size of government, requested a total of 764 earmarks valued at $1,049,783,150 during Fiscal Year 2010, the last year for which records are available. (More)
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2010, 11:24 AM
RE: Anti-earmark Tea Party Caucus takes $1 billion in earmarks
Politics as normal.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2010, 01:40 PM

(02-12-2010 11:24 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  Politics as normal.

Indeed. Yet you just know there are die hard Tea's out there that don't believe this story their party as typical of the Republicans and especially the Democrats, that they pride themselves on being superior to.
02-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Isn't politics spelled B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T?
Find all posts by this user
03-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Personally, I think all the hand-wringing over earmarks is ridiculous. Earmarks are not in and of themselves bad. Sometimes the best way to manage a small appropriation is by attaching it to a larger bill as it costs time and money to create an individual bill and run it through the process. Earmarks are absolutely abused but so is the entire appropriations process.

I'd be much, much happier - and think the country would be better off - if we could focus more on the substance of our spending instead of getting into these moronic symbolic battles over the form.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-12-2010, 12:30 AM
The Tea Party is such a joke. I terrified to see that people actually follow them.
05-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't see how the tea party is any more of a joke then the Democrats or the Republicans and people have been following those two parties off the cliff for decades.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-12-2010, 09:43 AM

I think what causes the Tea's to appear in a very bad light with this report, is that they claimed to be the anti-earmark party in the beginning. The bold hypocrisy, politics as usual, amid a group that claimed they were going to take our government back and be better than what caused the fervor in finding that reclamation necessary in the first place.

What's also boldly out there is Colorado Republican Congressman Doug Lamborn. An "anti-earmark" Tea Party caucus member who's typical so much so that when he was formerly gung ho for earmarks, is found to be talking out of both sides of his face claiming he's now anti-earmark, while the right side is asking for...earmarks in the millions!

A list of Tea Party Caucus members and their earmark requests in Fiscal Year 2010, courtesy of Citizens Against Government Waste's Pig Book:

And while earmarks are part of doing business in D.C., the overshadowing question is always, where is that money going?

When we read of a Republican asking for 16 million dollars, allegedly for his State and then month's later there's a news report about program cuts in that State, because there's not enough money in the budget for them, something stinks to high heaven and it's obvious! When anyone keeps track of the earmarks, the money allowed and then the money said not to be available as it should have been, because that's the whole purpose of earmarks. To fund public projects or organizations in that politicians State. It's our money! And yet, programs that serve us that should be bolstered by the earmark process, are cut. Where's the money?

It's something many people ask, after legislation like this. It's rarely anything that's ever answered as a matter of accountability. While we are made to tow the line, pay more, or lose everything, without question.