Anti-freedom of speech protests in London

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 01:52 PM
RE: Anti-freedom of speech protests in London
(11-02-2015 07:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 08:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The Quran and hadiths make it clear that Islam demands political power - a theocracy.

Sure, but all religions are, strictly speaking, totalitarian. It follows almost inevitably from exclusive claims of absolute righteousness.

But most believers aren't. That's a distinction entirely worth maintaining.

There is the important difference that political power is explicitly demanded in the texts of Islam.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-02-2015, 12:15 AM
(12-02-2015 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is the important difference that political power is explicitly demanded in the texts of Islam.

Not in Christian tea? I suppose ol' JC scotched that with the "Render unto Caesar" stuff...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
13-02-2015, 08:17 AM
(13-02-2015 12:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-02-2015 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is the important difference that political power is explicitly demanded in the texts of Islam.

Not in Christian tea? I suppose ol' JC scotched that with the "Render unto Caesar" stuff...

Yeah, and "My kingdom is not of this world ..." (John 18:36)

13-02-2015, 09:19 AM
(13-02-2015 08:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-02-2015 12:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  Not in Christian tea? I suppose ol' JC scotched that with the "Render unto Caesar" stuff...

Yeah, and "My kingdom is not of this world ..." (John 18:36)

Someone should really inform the Vatican about that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-02-2015, 11:02 AM
(12-02-2015 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 07:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Sure, but all religions are, strictly speaking, totalitarian. It follows almost inevitably from exclusive claims of absolute righteousness.

There is the important difference that political power is explicitly demanded in the texts of Islam.

Not to mention the unbearable level of misogyny, jew-hatred/anti-Semitism, homophobia, hatred for unbelievers and apostates, the social intolerance and prejudice, the need for power and oppression, the violence, hatred and murder demanded and the supremacist self-righteous overly sensitive ideology it preaches

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
13-02-2015, 02:37 PM
(13-02-2015 11:02 AM)Blackout Wrote:  

Not to mention the unbearable level of misogyny, jew-hatred/anti-Semitism, homophobia, hatred for unbelievers and apostates, the social intolerance and prejudice, the need for power and oppression, the violence, hatred and murder demanded and the supremacist self-righteous overly sensitive ideology it preaches

Preach and practice are often poles apart though... most Muslims I have ever hung out with have been reasonable chaps.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-02-2015, 04:43 PM
(13-02-2015 02:37 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-02-2015 11:02 AM)Blackout Wrote:  Not to mention the unbearable level of misogyny, jew-hatred/anti-Semitism, homophobia, hatred for unbelievers and apostates, the social intolerance and prejudice, the need for power and oppression, the violence, hatred and murder demanded and the supremacist self-righteous overly sensitive ideology it preaches

Preach and practice are often poles apart though... most Muslims I have ever hung out with have been reasonable chaps.

I can relate. Most muslims I've hung out with have been of good humour and such and such. However, one only had to question certain beliefs to see the subtle yet strikingly stupid and prejudicial views they held (but didn't seem to practice). Very strange. Though most of my friends were Kurdish muslim, or had escaped Saudi Arabia (these were strictly female friends) therefore were more likely to be of moderate views.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
13-02-2015, 04:52 PM
(13-02-2015 11:02 AM)Blackout Wrote:  

Hint: those things are not restricted to specific subsets of humanity.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
13-02-2015, 04:53 PM
(13-02-2015 09:19 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-02-2015 08:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yeah, and "My kingdom is not of this world ..." (John 18:36)

Someone should really inform the Vatican about that.

The Vatican is pretty small beer. Drinking Beverage

13-02-2015, 04:55 PM
(12-02-2015 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 07:53 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Sure, but all religions are, strictly speaking, totalitarian. It follows almost inevitably from exclusive claims of absolute righteousness.

It isn't; no more than it is required, again, of any religion. To subordinate all else to what one believes to be objective, divine truths follows inevitably.

All religious bodies of texts are large enough and ambiguous enough to be turned to almost any ends. As such it's an incredibly pointless thing to harp on.

... this is my signature!