Anti-freedom of speech protests in London

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2015, 03:51 PM
RE: Anti-freedom of speech protests in London
Deported for what? For sneaking into the country? Sure. For breaking laws? Absolutely? For exercising the types of freedoms western democracies have been exporting at the end of a gun since the end of World War 2? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
09-02-2015, 05:38 PM
(09-02-2015 11:54 AM)BnW Wrote:  Sedition is not what's at issue here. And, you're wrong about the legality, at least in the US. As for what's reasonable, that is a subjective standard and I completely disagree with your opinion. I can think of few things less reasonable than limiting the rights of people to express unpopular opinions.

Btw, how do you know all the protesters are immigrants? I'd bet that a whole lot of them are UK citizens.

I specified immigrants. Drinking Beverage

No country is under any onus to permit entry of anyone at all, let alone those whose views are anathema.
And deportation of undesirable aliens is par for the course.
So go ahead and bleat about their supposed rights and freedoms, but those need not be extended to the foreign enemies.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2015, 05:59 PM
That's a ridiculous strawman. You've gone from complaining about people who are protesting insulting their god to talking about kicking out foreign enemies, as if anyone with an opposing perspective is trying to destroy the government. Total nonsense. This is not about sedition or violence. It's about the right of an unpopular group to express an unpopular opinion. The rest of this is just ridiculous window dressing that has absolute nothing to do with what actually happened.

09-02-2015, 06:14 PM
(09-02-2015 05:59 PM)BnW Wrote:  That's a ridiculous strawman. You've gone from complaining about people who are protesting insulting their god to talking about kicking out foreign enemies, as if anyone with an opposing perspective is trying to destroy the government. Total nonsense. This is not about sedition or violence. It's about the right of an unpopular group to express an unpopular opinion. The rest of this is just ridiculous window dressing that has absolute nothing to do with what actually happened.

Oh, bullshit. Here is what I said:
(08-02-2015 02:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  My gut reaction is to deny/revoke citizenship and deport any immigrants who participate in those protests.

There is no valid reason for them to stay in a country whose core values they so clearly disagree with and want to fundamentally change.

Read it again.

09-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Ok, I read it again. It's exactly what I said. First you complained about people protesting and then you worked up to equating them with enemies of the state. Because, you know, protests and violence are one and the same.

09-02-2015, 06:26 PM
(09-02-2015 06:23 PM)BnW Wrote:  Ok, I read it again. It's exactly what I said. First you complained about people protesting and then you worked up to equating them with enemies of the state. Because, you know, protests and violence are one and the same.

I didn't 'work up to' anything - that was where I started.
Immigrants who want to reduce or eliminate the basic freedoms of the country are enemies of the people. The state should deport them.

09-02-2015, 06:35 PM
But you didn't want to stop there. You want to revoke citizenship too.

And, let's think this through. Currently, abortion is legal in the US. Should we deport immigrants who publicly object to legal abortion? How about immigrants who disagree with our tax laws? Are they out to? What exactly are the criteria for determing which of our freedoms are ok to challenge? Is it just brown people who are Muslims? What about Christians who object to us not having the 10 Commandments posted on every building? What about Jews who object to businesses being open on Saturday? Do we round all them up and strip them of citizenship and kick the immigrants the fuck out too? These are our laws and values, after all. So, are they all gone too?

Where exactly are you drawing this line? You may want to think this through before answering.

09-02-2015, 06:42 PM
(09-02-2015 03:51 PM)BnW Wrote:  Deported for what? For sneaking into the country? Sure. For breaking laws? Absolutely? For exercising the types of freedoms western democracies have been exporting at the end of a gun since the end of World War 2? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

For being an immigrant who refuses to live by the laws of the land.

I personaly go a step further and say that you should also be deported if you are the son of an immigrant who was raised by your parents to reject the values and laws of the country you live in.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
09-02-2015, 06:47 PM
(09-02-2015 06:35 PM)BnW Wrote:  But you didn't want to stop there. You want to revoke citizenship too.

And, let's think this through. Currently, abortion is legal in the US. Should we deport immigrants who publicly object to legal abortion? How about immigrants who disagree with our tax laws? Are they out to? What exactly are the criteria for determing which of our freedoms are ok to challenge? Is it just brown people who are Muslims? What about Christians who object to us not having the 10 Commandments posted on every building? What about Jews who object to businesses being open on Saturday? Do we round all them up and strip them of citizenship and kick the immigrants the fuck out too? These are our laws and values, after all. So, are they all gone too?

Where exactly are you drawing this line? You may want to think this through before answering.

None of that is comparable to freedom of speech nor other fundamental freedoms.

Now you're going to play the racist card? Fuck off.

09-02-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm not playing any card. I'm asking where the line is and if you're willing to apply it equally.

And, all my examples are about freedom of speech. My entire point is about the right to object to these things.

As for what is or is not comparable to freedom of speech, your the one advocating taking that right away. If you're ok with people not having the right to assemble and protest, I can't imagine you object to other rights being curtailed.

I ask it again: where is the line and whom does it apply to.