Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Anti-intellectualism Is Killing America
This is nothing new. One of my college textbooks in 1973 was Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter. And it was nothing new then. It's part of American "culture", and has been from the beginning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
09-12-2015, 10:59 AM
(08-12-2015 11:54 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our...ng-america

so thoughts

I'm just tired of everyone's half thought causes for our current predicament, which gets blamed on everything under the sun, from Jews, to Muslims, to Blacks, to Religion, Anti-Illectualism, Oil, Bush, Obama, Israel, Liberals, Republicans, Television, Guns, Gays, the list is endless.

You would think atheists would be the first to recognize that we live in a senseless world, than any pat answer, while sweet sounding, is just bound to ring false.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-12-2015, 11:03 AM
(09-12-2015 10:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-12-2015 11:54 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our...ng-america

so thoughts

I'm just tired of everyone's half thought causes for our current predicament, which gets blamed on everything under the sun, from Jews, to Muslims, to Blacks, to Religion, Anti-Illectualism, Oil, Bush, Obama, Israel, Liberals, Republicans, Television, Guns, Gays, the list is endless.

You would think atheists would be the first to recognize that we live in a senseless world, than any pat answer, while sweet sounding, is just bound to ring false.

Says the king of "half thought." Dodgy

You would think you'd get the hint by now that people don't buy your bullshit Tongue

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-12-2015, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 11:39 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-12-2015 10:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

so thoughts

Oh really. You mean like your half-ass nonsense about angry atheists ?
Are you on drugs, or menstruating ?

Edit : Oh wait. I know. It's 9/11. That's got to be it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-12-2015, 11:52 AM
(09-12-2015 10:07 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  This is nothing new. One of my college textbooks in 1973 was Anti-Intellectualism in American Life by Richard Hofstadter. And it was nothing new then. It's part of American "culture", and has been from the beginning.

As with a lot of things people complain about, it's not worse now than it used to be - it's just more visible.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
09-12-2015, 11:54 AM
(09-12-2015 10:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You would think atheists would be the first to recognize that we live in a senseless world, than any pat answer, while sweet sounding, is just bound to ring false.

Or, to make plain just how idiotic an argument is being made here:
"But if you atheists don't believe in an ultimate first cause, how can you believe in any cause and effect?"

Well played, friendo.
Hobo

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
09-12-2015, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 12:12 PM by Tomasia.)
(09-12-2015 11:54 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Or, to make plain just how idiotic an argument is being made here:
"But if you atheists don't believe in an ultimate first cause, how can you believe in any cause and effect?"

Well played, friendo.
Hobo

That's not my point at all.

The point is, that in senseless world there's isn't always an answer or solution to every problem, nor any easily discernible cause for our political and social ailments, that life is far messier, far more chaotic, and irrational, for that to be the case. Religious people might naively imagine an over simplified world, but I don't think atheists have an excuse.

The man claiming that critical thinking is the solution, is only marginally better than one who claims holding hand and singing Kumbaya is.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-12-2015, 12:14 PM
(09-12-2015 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  That's not my point at all.

So... what is, then?

(09-12-2015 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The point is, that in senseless world there's isn't always an answer or solution to every problem, nor any easily discernible cause for our political and social ailments, that life is far messier, far more chaotic, and irrational, for that to be the case. Religious people might naively imagine an over simplified world, but I don't think atheists have an excuse.

Oh! I get it now. So it's a straw man. 'Cause that's better.
Facepalm

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-12-2015, 12:30 PM
(09-12-2015 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Religious people might naively imagine an over simplified world, but I don't think atheists have an excuse.

He likes to bash atheists. THAT's the point.
(He's not "oversimplifying" ... no. Not at all.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-12-2015, 01:16 PM
(09-12-2015 12:07 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The man claiming that critical thinking is the solution, is only marginally better than one who claims holding hand and singing Kumbaya is.

Critical thinking is the basis of science. What has religion done that is remotely useful to society? I'll give you social cohesion. Is there *anything* else?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post