Anti trump march June 3rd.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 10:49 AM
RE: Anti trump march June 3rd.
(02-06-2017 08:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 03:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  This ain't the 60's. And I never said do nothing, I'm simply saying that this protest could have literally every single person in the States that doesn't like Trump out on the streets and it won't make a single bit of difference as to who your President is OR stop you from leaving the Paris Accord.

(02-06-2017 03:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  This ain't the 60's.

No, it's 2017. What's that got to do with anything. Huge marches protesting specific issues get the attention of senators and representatives who want more than anything to get re-elected. They take notice of large crowds protesting, especially if these are their constituents.

The US was pretty much founded because people got so damned mad at not having a voice and protested and boycotted the UK. We have a long history of protests and marches and they have indeed made a difference.

The problem the US has is that your "democracy" isn't a 'democracy'. At least not in the sense that other western countries are. You have a stupid two party system, fuck anyone that wants to run for office that isn't a Republicunt or Democunt.

Elections for you guys aren't so much about democracy as they are about science and numbers and rigging the game. And even when you do get say a democunt in they're brought up by some big corporation.

Politicians have rigged the game so badly in your country they don't need to worry about the general consensus of the population. Case in point, Trump lost by 3million votes and still became your President.

And even if you do somehow get your guy in and he somehow manages to get some good shit past it's just gonna be canceled and replaced by the next guy that comes along.

Your system is so fucking rigged and retarded that the people's voice has become almost worthless. The only time it matters is in swing states during an election year.
As long as you have a two party system, brought out politicians, gerrymandering and the electoral college you're voice don't mean shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
02-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Americans spend 30 million hours per year commuting to work in fossil fuel driven vehicles. Most of those hours in cars with only a driver and no passenger. How can that not be considered a consensus? The true climate denial is in our actions as individuals. The populace has the ability to lead it's government but chooses a cynical version of global civil disobedience; behind the wheel of an SUV. Maybe we'll show up to a march to point the finger at a scapegoat and feel good.

You know what. It's not time to quit. Ride Bike!!! I'm going to find people. I need to talk to people.
[+] 1 user Likes VKTD's post
02-06-2017, 02:22 PM
I live too far from my office to reasonably ride a bike. I would collapse of heat stroke before I made it in to the office. Public transpo suuuuuucks in my area, too.

I need a car, but I picked one that's decent on gas mileage and still within my price range. Can't afford a decent electric, can't afford a hybrid, so I went with a Honda that has "economy" mode (basically uses less gas for a bit lighter acceleration I think?).
02-06-2017, 02:34 PM
(02-06-2017 10:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 08:25 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  No, it's 2017. What's that got to do with anything. Huge marches protesting specific issues get the attention of senators and representatives who want more than anything to get re-elected. They take notice of large crowds protesting, especially if these are their constituents.

The US was pretty much founded because people got so damned mad at not having a voice and protested and boycotted the UK. We have a long history of protests and marches and they have indeed made a difference.

The problem the US has is that your "democracy" isn't a 'democracy'. At least not in the sense that other western countries are. You have a stupid two party system, fuck anyone that wants to run for office that isn't a Republicunt or Democunt.

Elections for you guys aren't so much about democracy as they are about science and numbers and rigging the game. And even when you do get say a democunt in they're brought up by some big corporation.

Politicians have rigged the game so badly in your country they don't need to worry about the general consensus of the population. Case in point, Trump lost by 3million votes and still became your President.

And even if you do somehow get your guy in and he somehow manages to get some good shit past it's just gonna be canceled and replaced by the next guy that comes along.

Your system is so fucking rigged and retarded that the people's voice has become almost worthless. The only time it matters is in swing states during an election year.
As long as you have a two party system, brought out politicians, gerrymandering and the electoral college you're voice don't mean shit.

(02-06-2017 10:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  .... the people's voice has become almost worthless

If I had that attitude I'd just take a gun and shoot myself, but you see, Muffs, I don't have that attitude. It doesn't matter what the hell kind of government a country has, if enough people rise up against it, it falls. The French and English kings found this out over three centuries ago. The right has swung about as far right as it can get in the US. It's almost at the breaking point. Gonna go protest Saturday and I don't give a shit if I'm the only person out there carrying a sign. Goddammit I'm not going to sit on my couch complaining about trump and his shit!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-06-2017, 02:39 PM
I loathe our public transportation. It seems like it's designed to force people to drive everywhere. I use that same green button on my honda as well. My contribution to the fight against climate change. I still feel a little trapped. I'm often expected to deliver supplies, and I keep using that as an excuse. My goal for the summer was bike in 3 times a week. Now I'm hoping "friday's??" We are all so dead in the water.
02-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Quote:If I had that attitude I'd just take a gun and shoot myself

No you wouldn't.

Quote:It doesn't matter what the hell kind of government a country has, if enough people rise up against it, it falls. The French and English kings found this out over three centuries ago.

Literally the worst examples you could give and serves to just prove my point.
You know what happened when those populations rose up against the aristocracy? They killed the fuckers (in France's case) or started civil wars (in England's case). They didn't have a simple peaceful protest they fucking rebelled at gunpoint and lopped people's heads off. They were like "hey government, maybe we should do it this way" and the government was like "ummm.. nah" and so they rose up and killed a bunch of people to physically force said governments to do what they want. You know what the key part there is? The government originally said "ummm.. nah". That's all the matters and that's why protest doesn't work. Not today anyway. You need legal binding action or you need to point a gun at someone's head. BUT the pointing a gun at their head is not possible (because the army is better armed than the population and nobody is gonna die to remove Trump when they can just do at an election in 4/8 years and he's not doing anything worthy of losing your life over) and so legal action is your only course BUT even then it's very limited.

Protest works in other countries with good systems. It doesn't work in the States and won't for as long as your system is so fucked up.
You can go out and wave your sign around all you want, that's your right, but you're wasting your time.
02-06-2017, 08:56 PM
You keep telling us our system is fucked up but don't offer suggestions of how to fix it.

02-06-2017, 09:01 PM
(02-06-2017 08:56 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  You keep telling us our system is fucked up but don't offer suggestions of how to fix it.

Yes I have. Plenty of times. You need to make donations anonymous and it illegal for politicians to know who donated what and you need to do away with the first past the post system and the electoral college.

As for how you'll achieve that, well fucked if I know. You're not willing to elect good people that will do it. Doesn't mean what I'm saying about protests is wrong.
03-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Tell Trump Covfefe
When I read about the "covfefe" tweet it reminded me of Pierre Trudeau's invention of the term "Fuddle Duddle"
So, I did some googling.

This is an Arabic joke. When you type covfefe in Google Translate, it recognizes it as Arabic and translates it as "sawf faqaf", which means "I stand up".

So, he's "pranking". This is the sort of joke people in the Middle East like to play on Westerners. They teach you to pronounce a word and there you are standing there like a fool, in public saying something stupid or swearing, and everyone laughs at you.

Trump's little prank was probably shown to him by some aide on the trip who got talking to a Saudi who told him about covfefe.

Now, every school kid is going around spouting an encrypted "fuck off". Trump has played the media who have fallen into the trap of thinking it's "false news" and "Gee, won't they be embarrassed when they find out, he he he". But he's the fool because he doesn't realize this is just embarrassing, as Sean Spicer found out. How do you prevent a leak on this one and explain that he left this vulgar joke on line for 6 hours?

When Trudeau swore back in 1971, it was a sign that he had lost his temper, and he was a brilliant politician and intellectual. It pretty much finished him off as a force in politics because he was ridiculed over it. The word entered the popular lexicon. Products were marketed using it. A wine was named after it, "Fuddle Duck".

So, Trump is saying "Despite the negative press, I stand up (so fuck off)" and rather than it being a sign he has lost his marbles, Trump thinks this shows great intellect. But it shows lack of judgement, and is tasteless. What now? This is a watershed moment. It's the day Trump lost it and told America to fuck off.
03-06-2017, 08:09 PM
(02-06-2017 09:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  As for how you'll achieve that, well fucked if I know.

You protest, march, contact any and all representatives who might support that position or promote other organizations that will.

But I'll tell you one thing you DON'T do.

You don't just sit around and bitch about it all alone in your room and then expect things to change.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post