Anti-vaccination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Anti-vaccination
When I was a believer my pastors kid suffered from autism. Him and his wife were conviced that it was vaccination that caused his autism and I bought into that. When I had my own kids and it was time to see the doctor almost always me and my wife would be torn a new one because we delayed the vaccinations in our boys. Lately I have come across a couple of articles in Scientific American that speak to this issue. I had a bit of a discussion with my wife and cousin in regards to this but I had nothing more to offer than "scientists have done many studies and have overwhelmingly determined that vaccination is not a factor in autism" that's all I have any of you mind chiming in with more info I could share in that discussion. (My cousin is big into conspiracy theories) thanks

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 12:01 PM
RE: Anti-vaccination
If you're dealing with someone prone to conspiracy theories it's hard to supply information to them. They seem to want to believe in a conspiracy no matter how much the evidence says otherwise. If you cite the CDC you'll get "it's a government cover up", cite scientists or peer reviewed studies and it will be "thye're in the pocket of Big Pharma". It's sad and dangerous.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 10 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
03-12-2013, 12:38 PM
I showed them an article from Australia where the issue was being discussed and the scientific community there railed against the anty-vaxers in Australia. It would require for the Australian govt to be in on the conspiracy as well. Very, very unlikely.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
There is an outbreak in my province for measles right now, it is spreading through the antivax communities like crazy. They thought the 'herd' would protect them, but sadly they've just made themselves the weakest link. Some are STILL promoting antivax despite this occurrence. That's their choice I guess. However what really irks me is when they say it doesn't concern me so why do I care what they choose. They do not realize the impact of carrying measles or other virus's has on vulnerable groups such as my daughter who can't have her booster yet or my nephew who was born last week or my friends children who are legitimately allergic to vaccine ingredients. She WISHES she could have the opportunity to vaccinate her children because anti vaccers are compromising her children's chances by making the 'herd' weaker and weaker.

Arguing with an anti-vac is not easy despite the copious amounts of evidence for it.
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
I have a child on the spectrum and I can honestly say that his dx was no way related to vaccines. Correlation does not imply causation. I have many friends who bring up largely anecdotal information when it comes to autism. Just like the cure-all DAN Diets...that really don't work the way they're proclaimed to.

Not vaccinating children has very huge consequences. Most people don't remember the days when kids routinely were hospitalized for whooping cough or measles.

They also don't know what it's like to have your child wake up one day unable to walk because they're suddenly sick with polio. There are reasons we have vaccines and I think it's pretty irresponsible parenting not to vaccinate.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines. Breathe; Pink Floyd

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-12-2013, 01:46 PM
I blame Jenny Mccarthy. Fucking bitch. I think there is no one else who promulgated this misinformation more than her along with her supporters.
The question these anti-vaxers have to ask themselves is this. "Autism or Death? What do I want for my child?"
Lets keep in mind, vaccines are to protect the community and is irresponsible not to vaccinate because there are people who you can come in contact with who legitimately can't be vaccinated.
Outbreaks of disease long past have been kept under control due to vaccination only now to start all over again.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 4 users Like grizzlysnake's post
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I just got my first ever vaccinations! I'm almost 30 (ooh, the durtay thurtays)! To quote a buddy of mine:

Quote:It's hard to go against the teachings of lifetime.

It was a mishmash of religion/celebrity woo that had my folks decide not to allow me to get my vaccinations. The bastards. They got the benifit and the denial, as they were vaccinated as kids. Dodgy

GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN!!! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
(03-12-2013 02:15 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I just got my first ever vaccinations! I'm almost 30 (ooh, the durtay thurtays)! To quote a buddy of mine:

Quote:It's hard to go against the teachings of lifetime.

It was a mishmash of religion/celebrity woo that had my folks decide not to allow me to get my vaccinations. The bastards. They got the benifit and the denial, as they were vaccinated as kids. Dodgy

GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN!!! Big Grin

Nice to hear from you. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Andrew Wakefield is the only person to produce a study showing any kind of link between vaccines and autism. He admitted to falsification of his data to ensure this was the outcome of his study. His medical license was revoked, his results have NEVER been duplicated in later tests.

Meanwhile, kids who don't get vaccinated get sick. Some even die from these very preventable illnesses. Some of these kids even pass along their infection to kids still too young to receive vaccines, and some of those kids die. Not vaccinating your kids puts the life of your own children and the lives of other people's children at risk. All of this makes it a case closed situation for me.

Andrew Wakefield link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wakefield
[+] 9 users Like Smercury44's post
03-12-2013, 05:40 PM
My ex is *always* talking about this and the flouride-in-the-water thing. I'm happy I'm not dumb enough to be taken in by this crap.

Anyway, from what I understand, most of the anti-vaccine protesters are concerned with the preservatives, not the vaccine itself. Wouldn't it shut them up if we just changed the preservative to something more "natural?" Or at least told them we did?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 2 users Like Cephalotus's post