Anti-vaccination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: Anti-vaccination
(03-12-2013 11:36 AM)djkamilo Wrote:  When I was a believer my pastors kid suffered from autism. Him and his wife were conviced that it was vaccination that caused his autism and I bought into that. When I had my own kids and it was time to see the doctor almost always me and my wife would be torn a new one because we delayed the vaccinations in our boys. Lately I have come across a couple of articles in Scientific American that speak to this issue. I had a bit of a discussion with my wife and cousin in regards to this but I had nothing more to offer than "scientists have done many studies and have overwhelmingly determined that vaccination is not a factor in autism" that's all I have any of you mind chiming in with more info I could share in that discussion. (My cousin is big into conspiracy theories) thanks

Perhaps this visual argument against vaccines will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhk7-5eBCrs

This is a clip from 'Penn and Teller's Bullshit!' tv show. It's only 90 seconds long but it makes a very compelling argument against the anti-vaccination crowd. For the sake of making their point, they even assume that vaccines CAN cause autism and they still show how being against vaccines is ridiculous. Enjoy!

-Travis

Travis

-Ideas Pull the Trigger but Instinct Loads the Gun
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like tmbell87's post
08-01-2014, 09:26 PM
It depresses me no end that we have quite a virulent strain of anti-vaxer down here. Headed by the egregious Meryl Dorey. Appalling people.

As a result we have annual epidemics of diseases like pertussis. Just horrible.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
[+] 2 users Like nooneofconsequence's post
09-01-2014, 07:10 AM
My redneck cousin was spamming FB with her anti-vac insanities. I couldn't bring myself to pounce on her absurdities though, she's unfortunately too uneducated, we barely speak the same language, so how could I make her understand what I've learned during my education in just a few phrases in the comment field? I thought it best to leave it be, but it irks me to no end that (sorry for being frank) stupid people feel like they need to speak up on things they don't understand at all.
[+] 2 users Like Khare's post
09-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Anti-vaccination
(09-01-2014 07:10 AM)Khare Wrote:  My redneck cousin was spamming FB with her anti-vac insanities. I couldn't bring myself to pounce on her absurdities though, she's unfortunately too uneducated, we barely speak the same language, so how could I make her understand what I've learned during my education in just a few phrases in the comment field? I thought it best to leave it be, but it irks me to no end that (sorry for being frank) stupid people feel like they need to speak up on things they don't understand at all.

The longer you remain silent the longer she will remain ignorant of valuable facts.

Have you at least tried to lead her to enlightenment?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
09-01-2014, 02:15 PM
(09-01-2014 01:16 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  The longer you remain silent the longer she will remain ignorant of valuable facts.

Nope. Long story short, would I (in her eyes) play haughty and superior, I would lose two valuable guildmates (also my redneck relatives) in the process. I can't have that.
09-01-2014, 02:26 PM
(09-01-2014 02:15 PM)Khare Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 01:16 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  The longer you remain silent the longer she will remain ignorant of valuable facts.

Nope. Long story short, would I (in her eyes) play haughty and superior, I would lose two valuable guildmates (also my redneck relatives) in the process. I can't have that.

Guildmates? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2014, 02:36 PM
(09-01-2014 02:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Guildmates? Consider

Yes. Guildmates. I am the guild master, and we play an MMORPG together, in the same guild. But I think that's enough derailing Tongue
09-01-2014, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 03:24 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
It always floors me how even the most obviously wholly beneficial creations of humanity picks up vicious detractors whom would rather hinder the progress of the species as a whole due to some absolutely boneheaded idea they fixate on. We are the only species that could possibly go extinct by our very own unnecessary stupidity.

Also, although we like to think of modern civilization as being leagues above what it would have been like back when we were hunter-gathers, keep in mind that our social structure and technological and medical advances allow this type of stupidity to reproduce itself generationally. Back in the Paleolithic era, people this dumb didn't usually survive long enough to pass on their genes.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
09-01-2014, 08:14 PM
(09-01-2014 03:19 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  It always floors me how even the most obviously wholly beneficial creations of humanity picks up vicious detractors whom would rather hinder the progress of the species as a whole due to some absolutely boneheaded idea they fixate on. We are the only species that could possibly go extinct by our very own unnecessary stupidity.

Also, although we like to think of modern civilization as being leagues above what it would have been like back when we were hunter-gathers, keep in mind that our social structure and technological and medical advances allow this type of stupidity to reproduce itself generationally. Back in the Paleolithic era, people this dumb didn't usually survive long enough to pass on their genes.

That's why I look at the movie 'Idiocracy' as prophesy.

Travis

-Ideas Pull the Trigger but Instinct Loads the Gun
[+] 2 users Like tmbell87's post
09-01-2014, 08:25 PM
How can anyone be anti vacations.

What ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post