"Anti- vaccine"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2013, 08:56 PM
RE: "Anti- vaccine"
I know that I wish the Chicken Pox vaccine was around when I was a kid. I caught them from my siblings when I was 16 and I was miserably sick. My kids all had them but my grandkids get vaccinated for them.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 09:00 PM
(22-09-2013 06:58 PM)Chrisinfp Wrote:  Does avoiding a few vaccines make you anti vaccine. If you are a parent and you've researched the issue of vaccines you've probably decided that the pro v anti dichotomy is made up of 2 extremes. 1 side says vaccines perfectly safe and that those who oppose them are acting in a dangerous way. They believe that the people who oppose vaccines are elite yoga moms etc. The anti vaccine side says that vaccines are only harmless and that they are an evil money making scheme. What I've discovered are parents, like me, who believe in vaccination but look at the sharp increase of vaccines from when I was young (born in 73) until now. It's a much different vaccine schedule. My wife and I opted to vaccinate our children on a slightly different schedule. Both our children have received more than 2x as many shots as we did. We aren't at all opposed to vaccination. The frustration I find with " skeptics" is that they are generally so selective about where they focus their skepticism Is it at all possible that the Vaccine schedule has anything at all to do with the profit motive?
Growing up in the 80s I think the kids I knew where healthy , thanks to vaccines and clean water that eliminated polio etc. but why is there a need for shots for illnesses most of us didn't think existed or wasn't a problem. I really don't need people to rant about how careless I am. I can safely say that I researched the hell out of this issue and if forced , I'd say I'm pro vaccine. However , why do children need shots for Hep B the day they are born? Is the roto virus vaccine necessary starting at 2 months? I'd like people to read this and consider that the pro v anti vaccine is just not applicable for most truely skeptical parents. And, Jenny McCarthy - although I liked her on that MTV show 20 years ago- had nothing to do with my decisions.

Most people get over rotavirus on their own, however infants have a small risk of needing hospitalization due to the infection, so that's why it is recommended so early.

An increase in prevalence of vaccinations can lead to an effect called herd immunity, whereby the effective transmission rates prevent breakouts due to those around an infected person effectively halts the spread of the disease. I see vaccination as a civic duty in addition to protective for myself. Large enough numbers of anti-vaxers have stopped getting vaccines for the most serious diseases like measles, and this has lead to periodic outbreaks in otherwise affluent countries.

Hepatitis viruses, like polio, are human specific. So widespread vaccination could potentially eradicate these viruses.
22-09-2013, 09:21 PM
(22-09-2013 08:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I know that I wish the Chicken Pox vaccine was around when I was a kid. I caught them from my siblings when I was 16 and I was miserably sick. My kids all had them but my grandkids get vaccinated for them.

The "vaccine" for chickenpox when I was young was to get the chickenpox. I've heard of people holding "chickenpox parties" so that their kids would get it while they're young. It is a very uncomfortable experience, and the virus can be dangerous. Getting the vaccine for it nowadays is doing the same thing that my parents did, but it's a simple shot instead of enduring the whole thing.

I don't know enough to be an expert on any of this, but from what I've seen vaccinations are exponentially better for us to get despite the risks because of how many lives are saved due to their effectiveness. Sure, everyone is at risk to an adverse reaction, but at least such a reaction will be identified and dealt with easier. An outbreak due to anti-vaccination is much more risky.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco