Antibiotics, Evolution and the war on bacteria

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2015, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2015 01:12 PM by Full Circle.)
Antibiotics, Evolution and the war on bacteria
Bacteria and antibiotics to combat them are the perfect real world, real time example of evolution and science at work.

"The evolution of bacterial resistance is a major problem for our civilization. I know we face many challenges, and this is just one, but every expert I talk to or read seems to be expressing the same opinion – this is very serious and we are not paying enough attention to this problem”

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...tibiotics/

and

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-med...who-report

“Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) occurs when organisms such as bacteria and viruses evolve mechanisms to evade therapeutic agents, for example antibiotics, rendering them ineffective."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
11-01-2015, 01:16 PM
RE: Antibiotics, Evolution and the war on bacteria
Not much to add really. A classic example.

Would like to see how our new looney explains this.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
11-01-2015, 02:21 PM
(11-01-2015 01:09 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Bacteria and antibiotics to combat them are the perfect real world, real time example of evolution and science at work.

Yes, but that's just microevolution. They are still the same kind just like dogs and wolves are the same "kind" since "kind" means whatever the hell it needs to in order to deny evolution.

Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Well, pumping the animals we eat full of antibiotics all their lives just can't be good.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-01-2015, 08:53 AM
(11-01-2015 06:37 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, pumping the animals we eat full of antibiotics all their lives just can't be good.

It's that bitter aftertaste that I don't like. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2015, 09:05 AM
The genetic information must have been there from the beginning of time. It is just being expressed now that it is needed Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-01-2015, 09:06 AM
(12-01-2015 09:05 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  The genetic information must have been there from the beginning of time. It is just being expressed now that it is needed Wink

Nuh-uh. Mutations.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
But god created all that was beneficial back at the end of time, and things have just been running down since then. Oh, unless the change is harmful. Then it is the result of sin.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-01-2015, 09:25 AM
(12-01-2015 09:21 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  But god created all that was beneficial back at the end of time, and things have just been running down since then. Oh, unless the change is harmful. Then it is the result of sin.

You have evolved a kind of an argument. Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-01-2015, 10:33 AM
This is why we can't have nice things, because you guys don't take anything seriously Dodgy Ya'll must be heathens or something.

Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post