Antidote against depression? Suggestions? Anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Antidote against depression? Suggestions? Anyone?
I lived through the hope of the sixties and seventies, the tidal-wave of mind-numbing greed during the eighties, the quick evaporation of euphoria over the disappearance of the Berlin Wall in the nineties, the demented hysteria over terrorism in the 2000-s -- just to find myself in a world more insane, in the 2010-s, than I have ever experienced first hand.

The world around me is a throwback to the thirties when Nazism was on the rise, when racial hatred was institutionalized, when "final solutions" were seriously contemplated and when threats and counter-threats, panic and terror were the daily staple of the newspaper-reading public.

Today is a very bad day for me. I am out of scotch, never tried Prozac and TTA doesn't help. Anything I missed? Oh yes, it is raining.
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2011, 07:41 PM
RE: Antidote against depression? Suggestions? Anyone?
I suffer from functional depression. I am almost always on some level depressed, but I have over the years learned to push it back, and let every other emotion take the front seat. More often than not it's anger. But shhh... I have a point in here somewhere.
I have found my own meaning to life that suits me just fine, which is... drum roll please...

Enjoy everything the world has to offer you. There is so much good that it's insane, but the human mind seems more wired to focus on the negatives, maybe so we are more intent on affecting change. But it's possible to change our focus once in a while to those truly wonderful things out there. Even the rain when enjoyed properly is enjoyable. Try sitting by a window with a good book and a cup of something hot and just listening to the pattern of noise rain creates, it's hypnotic and tranquil as fuck. Watch the leaves move on a tree when the wind gets out of hand. It also is hypnotic, the way each leaf is moving in it's own pattern surrounded by it's relatives.

So often it's easy to be overwhelmed by the negatives. I am guilty of this myself oh so often, I walk mostly every where and I have grown a genuine dislike for drivers because of this, you jerks, but I try to tell myself to focus on the smells in the air and the way the breeze cools me down when I'm hot, or the sound of leaves rustling.

If not for the world where would we be?

Also I take comfort in my kid when she's not being a huge turd. She is the funniest creature ever and she works like prozak when she is calm. She can just sit in my lap and snuggle while watching some scooby doo and I'll sit there watching her. Best feeling ever.

So when the blue mood comes calling turn on a good song, look outside, hug something, have a good poop. It all helps, there is no one solution. The only answer is within yourself. What makes you happy Zatamon?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
08-10-2011, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 10:49 PM by Mr Woof.)
(08-10-2011 07:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I lived through the hope of the sixties and seventies, the tidal-wave of mind-numbing greed during the eighties, the quick evaporation of euphoria over the disappearance of the Berlin Wall in the nineties, the demented hysteria over terrorism in the 2000-s -- just to find myself in a world more insane, in the 2010-s, than I have ever experienced first hand.

The world around me is a throwback to the thirties when Nazism was on the rise, when racial hatred was institutionalized, when "final solutions" were seriously contemplated and when threats and counter-threats, panic and terror were the daily staple of the newspaper-reading public.

Today is a very bad day for me. I am out of scotch, never tried Prozac and TTA doesn't help. Anything I missed? Oh yes, it is raining.

I think that a good deal of depression could be more aptly descibed as existential angst. But, that would never do as our depression, largely, needs to be viewed as a lack of something in us, not those governing us.

Besides think of the multi billions of dollars "Big Farmer" would be denied if more people were to become "normal" as a result of their social sense of well being.
It is interesting that the old anti depressants of the 60s such as imipramine are still available and have not been surpassed by the latest 'magic bullets'. A strange progress.

As a cynic, I see the system profiting by feeding on itself. Why not build more lap band and lipo suction fat surgeries next to fast food outlets? The consumer system locks you in to the market then sells the keys to the solutions --ad nauseum.

To get back to your original question I think the partial answer is realising just what you are up against, and doing your best however small.
On a practical note, a sensible, non system based cognitive therapy (analysing your inner chatter) can be helpfull. As for 'non system based', round the 60s there was a U.S psychiatrist Thomas Scascz who saw insanity as any view critical of the then American system.

In sum, down days are quite normal, cognitive therapy can help, along with a good dose of healthy cynicism. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2011, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 12:18 AM by defacto7.)
(08-10-2011 07:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I lived through the hope of the sixties and seventies, the tidal-wave of mind-numbing greed during the eighties, the quick evaporation of euphoria over the disappearance of the Berlin Wall in the nineties, the demented hysteria over terrorism in the 2000-s -- just to find myself in a world more insane, in the 2010-s, than I have ever experienced first hand.

Hey Zate... If I read it correctly, your question is 2 fold. On one hand your asking about dealing with depression and on the other hand it's about disappointment. We... you and I, have had the early hope of a regenerated human race just to have it crash into an abyss that we could never have imagined in the 60's. It's like one crazy disappointment after another; at least that's how I see it. Here we are, on the other end of the highway and it's a dirt road. For me, that is difficult to understand, how a lifetime of aspirations for mankind can end up hijacked by the treachery of mankind. And the lies are still being propagated by the same tenets of stupidity that have dogged us for thousands of years. When I read the news here in the US, it is sickening how the United States, a country based on a secular premise from it founders specifically molded in it's constitution as a non-religious state, formed to separate it from the multi millennial tyranny of religion and those who promote it has been taken hostage by a mix of greed and dumbing down to a level lower than I ever thought it could be taken. And it's Lies.. all lies folks. How can people be so gullible to follow those blatant, utter, fabricated lies from the religious right? The real crux of all our disappointment is based on lies. Yes, it is depressing. And it creates a lot of anger.

The only thing I find to combat that feeling of being overwhelmed by the onslaught, the lies, is to fight back. When I think of those people hanging around who are listening, confused, who are beginning to see a semblance of irony, of discontinuity, of paradox in what has been fed them, then I speak the truth as I know it. No holds barred. I speak the facts in the most direct form I know and those truths, yes "truths" stand on their own. Reality based on fact, evidence, observation and devoid of "faith". Faith is believing in something that cannot be known or proved or touched by human mind. Faith cannot be changed. If it changes it's not faith anymore. I have faith in nothing! I have trust. I have trust in science and those who can understand those principals that I can't experiment with on my own. If their observation changes, and my own study is reasonable, my trust changes with it. But faith... That cannot exist if it is provable. I have NO faith and that is what I teach and what I fight with. I find great satisfaction in that directive in life.

It is tiring sometimes, and exhausting fighting against the delusional or partly delusional. But there you have it. It's what we've got.

On the other hand... after pissing in the mud and splashing it around a while, I go with what lucradis said, "Enjoy everything the world has to offer you. There is so much good that it's insane." After seeing that broad picture till you can't look at it anymore, look at all the little stuff, the children, the meadows, the storms over the planes, the mountains and think about the vastness of the universe. I just go out into the night sky with my huge binoculars and stare into the sky and I find that god part of my brain speaking to me of majesty that no religious experience can possibly produce. And all of a sudden the spirit of life overwhelms me. I can cry, and sing and shout the greatest hymn of all mans experience... "I am".

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
09-10-2011, 03:18 PM
(08-10-2011 07:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Today is a very bad day for me. I am out of scotch, never tried Prozac and TTA doesn't help. Anything I missed? Oh yes, it is raining.

Have you tried reading the Bible? Psalm 88 might be a good place to start because it was written by someone who was obviously very depressed.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2011, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 03:41 PM by defacto7.)
(09-10-2011 03:18 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(08-10-2011 07:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Today is a very bad day for me. I am out of scotch, never tried Prozac and TTA doesn't help. Anything I missed? Oh yes, it is raining.

Have you tried reading the Bible? Psalm 88 might be a good place to start because it was written by someone who was obviously very depressed.

O lord God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee:
Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;

Sounds like he expects a god to be listening but there's nothing there. I would say that may be the source of this particular person's depression. I would say he should look elsewhere.

The rest of that scripture verse is dismal and of no realistic value to anyone who has depressive episodes whatsoever. I'm glad I don't follow that source of inspiration.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
09-10-2011, 03:43 PM

(09-10-2011 03:18 PM)theophilus Wrote:  Have you tried reading the Bible? Psalm 88 might be a good place to start because it was written by someone who was obviously very depressed.

Yes, I have!

I never got past the 'begot'-s Big Grin

Sorry, Theo, I am a very poor subject for conversion because I always get stuck on definitions!

Before I became a Physicist, I was in love with Mathematics.

Definition....Theorem..... Proof ---QED! -- anything else is unthinkable to my thoroughly biased scientific mind.

Without the definition part, we do not have the foggiest idea of what we are talking about.

But, we still can be friends -- if you do not try to convert me. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
10-10-2011, 06:20 AM
For me, drawing and scribbling works best. Let go and paint, draw, scribble. Flush out unhappy thoughts through every stroke, and when the masterpiece is complete, sit back and smile.

Read through the forum recently and it seems everyone's kinda down Sad
Life is still beautiful, it's just that some people love to show others the dark side of life. Just remember that there is always hope, no matter how bleak.

When there is a will, there is a way.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
10-10-2011, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 06:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-10-2011 07:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Today is a very bad day for me. I am out of scotch, never tried Prozac and TTA doesn't help. Anything I missed?

Check your testosterone levels old man. I've been on testosterone replacement therapy for over 4 years now (hence my GirlyMan moniker). My low T was pharmaceutically induced prematurely (pre-diabetes medication, metformin lowers T in about 1/3 of the population and I'm a hyperresponder to statins - insufficient cholesterol (mine dropped to 100mg/dl) means insufficient pregnenolone means insufficient testosterone), but many of us will get to experience it naturally.

My TRT was prescribed to counter the usual side effects associated with low T: ED, no libido, ennui, agitation, etc. And while it alleviated all of those symptoms as me and my Doc expected, it also completely alleviated a 3 decades long depression. That was unexpected. No more Wellbutrin for me. I'm 49 yo feeling like I'm just about to turn 20. Smile TRT is not for everyone but for those it who need it, it can be a lifesaver.

Check your testosterone levels old man.

(08-10-2011 07:27 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Oh yes, it is raining.

Me, I like the rain. But that's just the GirlyGardener in me. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-10-2011, 06:31 PM

(10-10-2011 06:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Check your testosterone levels old man.

Thank you for the suggestion, young man. Smile

According to my doctor, all my levels are OK -- I am only ultra-sensitive to insanity in the world. That is why I completely stopped watching the news and nobody in my family is allowed to tell me about the usual highlights. Sad

This is not a permanent condition, it comes and goes. When it is the worst, I don't feel like lifting a finger or making any effort, even in activities that I thoroughly enjoy otherwise.

Scotch, in moderation, usually helps -- otherwise I just have to wait for it to go away.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful suggestions and support -- I sure appreciate it. Smile