Antidote against depression? Suggestions? Anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2011, 07:01 PM
RE: Antidote against depression? Suggestions? Anyone?
(10-10-2011 06:31 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  According to my doctor, all my levels are OK --

Get a number and the lab's range. The range from labs is +- 2 s.d. from their mean. If that range is 241-850 ng/dl and you come in at 243, your Doc is gonna tell you your levels are OK. +-2 s.d.'s away don't mean dick to the individual.

(10-10-2011 06:31 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I am only ultra-sensitive to insanity in the world.

I don't feel that yet. I mean the insanity of it all is all I've ever experienced and what I've come to expect. If anything, I've spent a great deal of time and effort desensitizing myself to it. Is this a recent development you've experienced that I get to look forward to, or have you felt this way for a long time?

(10-10-2011 06:31 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  This is not a permanent condition, it comes and goes. When it is the worst, I don't feel like lifting a finger or making any effort, even in activities that I thoroughly enjoy otherwise.

Yes, it's not permanent and it comes and goes. At its worst, my situations were more dire than yours.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2011, 07:55 PM

(10-10-2011 07:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-10-2011 06:31 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I am only ultra-sensitive to insanity in the world.

I don't feel that yet. I mean the insanity of it all is all I've ever experienced and what I've come to expect.

That may be the difference. I grew up in Eastern Europe, under a Communist education system, where they indoctrinated us in the "according to ability...according to need" Philosophy. We knew that the practice was corrupt and often brutal, but the theory sounded right: sharing, compassionate, etc. Then I catapulted myself into the Capitalist world and, after the initial euphoria wore off, discovered the true nature of Capitalism: wasteful, destructive, often brutal to the losers and dehumanizing to the rest.

Twenty years ago I took two years off my usual career activities and undertook a thorough study of History, Political Science, Sociology, Economics in order to understand what is really happening around me. That is when the depression cycles started and continuing today. The periodic upswings in illusion (like Obama's election) coupled with the bitter disappointment after did not help.

In Canada, I am embarrassed to admit, it has been an uninterrupted slide down to corruption and social injustice ever since the early eighties. I stopped voting years ago, because it is a farce I do not want to participate in.

Basically, I was happier when I was ignorant (I was a scientist, what did I know about the world?), now I can't unlearn what I spent so much effort learning and I am not sure I would want to even if I could.
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2011, 05:10 AM
Some may say ignorance is bliss, but to me knowledge is power. The thirst of knowledge has been the driving force that liberated me from religion, which I now cast heavy doubt on, and is driving me towards my goal. I agree with you on the fact that the world is getting more vapid and insane. The constant bombardment of depressing news... (The only "happy" news I read on the BBC website was on how scientists are finally getting ready to explore the sub-glacial Antarctic Lakes.) You do not want to know the other news Sad Vapid, for sure, prime examples seen in my generation, embracing superficial idols of warped beauty and fame, with television programmes becoming progressively more vapid, documentaries are not spared either. In cities, I've seen people actually queueing up at brand stores such as Louis Vuitton just to gawk at the goods within the store, and the queues were LONG. Now that is crazy.

All in all, don't worry. There are still a lot of sensible people out there, silenced by the constant blaring of trite noises in the world today. We can only hope for a more sensible future Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM
(09-10-2011 03:43 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  I never got past the 'begot'-s Big Grin

When I come to places like that I just skip over them and go on to whatever is next. If you give up too easily in reading the Bible you might miss something that could be useful to you.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2011, 10:40 AM

(11-10-2011 10:33 AM)theophilus Wrote:  When I come to places like that I just skip over them and go on to whatever is next. If you give up too easily in reading the Bible you might miss something that could be useful to you.

Theo, before I buy a book at the bookstore (usually on science) I always look first at the blurb on the Author. What kind of credentials does (s)he have, should I invest my time and money on someone who had no training and/or experience in the subject of the book?

Now, in the case of the bible, the source is highly suspect and questionable, as many atheists pointed it out to you. Also, full of contradictions, from what I hear.

There are so many books I won't be able to get to before I die, so I have to prioritize and ruthlessly reject books that are suspect of wasting my time.

I am afraid the bible is one of these.

Sorry!

Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
11-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Zat,

Try some weed. Preferably a sativa dominant strain.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Oh, and dump the booze down the drain. It's a depressant.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Stark, I tried weed -- not sure what strain.

It made me dizzy and sleepy -- I slept it off and never tried it again.

I use scotch in moderation, just to numb my anxiety and despair. It usually works to the point where I can actually function.

Thanks for the advice, I might try it again -- not sure where to get it from. I know that Carl Sagan did his best work (according to him) when smoking weed, that is why I tried it.
11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Zat, can I recommend you a website for some suggestions?

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” -Siddhārtha Gautama
"I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” -Lao Tzu
"...thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself..." -Jesus
11-10-2011, 01:55 PM

(11-10-2011 12:18 PM)Thinking about Myths Wrote:  Zat, can I recommend you a website for some suggestions?

ThinkingAbout, you are free to suggest anything you wish, assuming it is not a religious site, offering me the bible again! Big Grin