Antiparanomalist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Antiparanomalist?
You know I find it odd that at some of the other sites/groups I belong to that I can post Atheist stuff and I'll get response from a few like minded souls, but little else i.e. anger, denial, etc. However if I say ghosts and spirits are bullshit I have a WAR on my hands! Everyone is telling me about a presence they felt, or an experience they had yadda yadda yadda. Therefore I can only reason that I'm more hated for being an antiparanormalist than an atheist.
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2010, 10:34 AM
RE: Antiparanomalist?
I feel a little offended always when pseudoscience is handled as reality. Also I feel a little angry when I hear about endangered species being hunted for chinese medical-''science''. But I don't know what that has to do with the topic.

It must be annoying for someone who is deeply convinced that s/he felt a spirit or such when someone claims that there are'nt such things. But on the other hand, it must be very annoying for many sceptics when people start to claim that they're real and all they have as evidence is their personal convinsion.

Tolerate and respect everyones personal beliefs, but not disbelifs. :F

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2010, 10:41 AM

I've come to the conclusion that I have enough on my hands living me, to worry about what others experience living them.

If it feels like someone's got a ghost in their attic, consider it an accessory not included in the Real Estate contract. Or move, or turn the house into a spooky B&B with a grand opening on Halloween.
I can't say we're the only intelligent species anywhere in existence, because I live 1 1/2 hours from D.C.
14-10-2010, 03:50 PM
(14-10-2010 10:41 AM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I've come to the conclusion that I have enough on my hands living me, to worry about what others experience living them.

If everyone took this to heart, the human race would become much nicer.
26-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I think few people take theism literally but when you deny the paranormal you deny their irrational comfort.It is in a way a stronger form of atheism because not only do you deny what theist believe but what non-theists , agnostics and others hold true.
27-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Should we create a knew word like aparanormalist? Tongue
16-01-2011, 02:27 PM

As long as paranormalists don't fly planes into buildings because ghosts told them to...

In our new home (60yr old house) one of the windows kept opening (one of the kind you have to lift up). It kind of freaked out my wife and startled me a bit, but I realized it was just due to different air pressure from inside/outside. I closed it and locked it and said "Fuck off you stupid ghost, you don't live here anymore!" LMAO
16-01-2011, 05:56 PM
For me I really think people see the things they describe. I feel ghosts, spirits, etc. are very really. Just not in the sense that they want to believe. They are phenomenon that are created by our minds. Take a haunted house for example. If you believe something is haunted you will see something. If you lost a loved one and have a tough time letting go there is a very real chance you will see that person.

I think people are much more offended when you call into question the idea of the paranormal because, like religion, it is a link to the after life. While scaring many people it gives you the sense that there is something after this life and its a belief that does not require a god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Why creating something new? Antiparanomalists already have a name. It's skeptics.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
17-01-2011, 02:02 PM
(16-01-2011 06:04 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Why creating something new? Antiparanomalists already have a name. It's skeptics.

Not really. That's aparanormalists, not antiparanormalists. Skeptics, as a general rule, don't believe in the paranormal, but aren't opposed to its existence, in the same way that atheists aren't the same as antitheists.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett