Antique - isn't that Latin for "you paid too much"?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-09-2015, 05:42 AM
Antique - isn't that Latin for "you paid too much"?
Antiques -- I just don't get it.

My SO sold her house -- so now we're moving in all of her stuff (and there's a LOT) - including all her antiques.

To me - paying extra for something because it's old - flies in the face of logic.

After all -- how many guys would pay extra for a 90 year old hooker????

If you buy something new - you get a warranty. If you buy an antique -- the only guarantee is that you'll pay more for it, than something new that would work just as well, if not better.

Also amusing -- if a chair is really old - and blackened from age -- it's worth LESS if you give it a good cleaning. WTF??? So my house becomes a mansion if I quit cleaning???

I know there's going to be some smartass who'll say "Antiques are worth more because they're rare -- supply and demand, and all that"...

Yeah sure.... I've got a 75 AMC Pacer -- those are pretty rare --(they fell apart because AMC made them out of pre-formed rust, rather than steel) -- want to pay top dollar for it????? It hasn't been washed in years -- it must be worth a fortune by now....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2015, 05:59 AM
RE: Antique - isn't that Latin for "you paid too much"?
I feel like I'm watching you slowly turn into Jerry Seinfeld

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Octapulse's post
17-09-2015, 06:02 AM
(17-09-2015 05:59 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  I feel like I'm watching you slowly turn into Jerry Seinfeld

Don't worry - it's relatively painless....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-09-2015, 06:07 AM
To the question in the title, sounds about right. Thumbsup

(17-09-2015 05:59 AM)Octapulse Wrote:  I feel like I'm watching you slowly turn into Jerry Seinfeld

I read that as Jerry Springer - sorry, biker. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-09-2015, 06:16 AM
There are a lot of things we buy and don't need. Don't tell me you don't have anything that is more expensive than it's practical value just because you happen to like it more Smile

That's not to say I don't disagree in the case of antiques. I personally don't get much out of it. I understand the draw to some people. It's along the lines of art, and we all have different tastes. If I have money to blow I waste it on some other frivolous purchase that an antique collector probably wouldn't understand.

'Murican Canadian
17-09-2015, 06:18 AM
(17-09-2015 06:16 AM)yakherder Wrote:  There are a lot of things we buy and don't need. Don't tell me you don't have anything that is more expensive than it's practical value just because you happen to like it more Smile

That's not to say I don't disagree in the case of antiques. I personally don't get much out of it. I understand the draw to some people. It's along the lines of art, and we all have different tastes. If I have money to blow I waste it on some other frivolous purchase that an antique collector probably wouldn't understand.

I won't even buy antique GUNS....

(unless the price is really, really right)..

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-09-2015, 06:34 AM
(17-09-2015 06:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 06:16 AM)yakherder Wrote:  There are a lot of things we buy and don't need. Don't tell me you don't have anything that is more expensive than it's practical value just because you happen to like it more Smile

Wink

I hear you, man. I don't get it either. But I've been accused of being overly pragmatic and utilitarian. Mostly, I want an object to function as it is supposed to, be reliable and resilient, and be reasonably priced. Aesthetics come way after that, and I don't get emotionally attached to objects.

Although, I WOULD really like to have a 1911 1911.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
17-09-2015, 06:36 AM
(17-09-2015 06:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

Wink

Not too much into antique guns either, but I do like overpriced new ones. I dropped almost 4k on my Vector and accessories (tritium phosphor powered ACOG, extended magazines, etc.) last year when a much cheaper gun would have fulfilled the same function.

'Murican Canadian
17-09-2015, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2015 08:50 AM by Mr. Boston.)
Coming from New England, the birthplace of "antiques" with some of the oldest crap in America kicking around I agree that the pricing can be ridiculous. Really hardcore antique buffs are some of the weirdest people you'd ever care to meet. But I also understand the attraction. Can we honestly say we expect the couches, beds, and dressers being cranked out today to stand up to 200+ years of daily use? Sure, I can get a super cheap particle-board bookcase, maybe even with some kind of warrantee, but do I even WANT a piece of furniture like that to last the rest of my life? When you buy an antique bookshelf or end table the "warrantee" is essentially the plain fact that it was built during the Taft administration and it's still standing. If it's already outlasted a few generations of human beings, I'm fairly sure my books aren't going to utterly screw it up.

There's some truth to the old "they don't make 'em like they used to" mantra. They don't. It would deleterious for modern businesses to produce goods that last 50 or 100 years. There's a lot more profit in making something that'll do the job for 5-10 years and then need to be replaced. Back in the day though, when everything was made by hand with natural materials, you attracted customers by producing the BEST rocking chair or end table; something people could buy and feel secure would never need to be replaced. It was expensive because someone spent 100s of hours skillfully making the object, you paid for the craftsmanship as much as the object itself. I can see the appeal in that. There's not much I side with hipsters about, but their focus on artisanal, bespoke objects does make sense to me, it's a way to make economies more local again and hopefully produce a higher quality of goods. Maybe it's not so much that antique furniture is way too expensive as it is that modern furniture is way too cheap.

When my wife and I got married, my mother gave us a couple hundred bucks specifically to be used to purchase an antique rocking chair. She had a really old rocking chair when my brother and I were born and it meant a lot to her that we'd have something to rock our future babies in, something that would stand up to time. So we found a really cool looking chair from around 1905. It's our only antique "piece" but it's outlasted ALL the more affordable IKEA modular-construction crapola we furnished our first apartment with, and the odds are good our great-grandchildren will one day rock their kids to sleep in it. I don't think there are a lot of consumer goods being made these days that can live up to that kind of expectation.

That said, the obvious downside is most families I know of have tons of old stuff hanging around from some long-deceased great great aunt they never even met. So maybe longevity is a curse too, lol.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
17-09-2015, 09:24 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post