Antique - isn't that Latin for "you paid too much"?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
17-09-2015, 12:32 PM
RE: Antique - isn't that Latin for "you paid too much"?
(17-09-2015 12:23 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 10:48 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My kitchen table and chairs are over 100 years old now.

Purchased by husband's great great grandmother, passed to his great mother, who passed it onto her son when he got married. That table has been used constantly. It was the pasta table, the wine making table...until we got it and have used it for just about every single meal for the last 15 years!

When we got married we got a table set 8 piece (1 table, one 1 leaf, 6 chairs)...it didn't last 10 years...and the first 5 were before kids and honestly, we hardly used it.

The faux top started peeling...the chairs wobbled and eventually started to just fall apart. You know it's bad when a toddler (who wieghed barely 20lbs soaking wet) sits on a chair and it cracks. By the time we got rid of it, we only three chairs.

Yet this old table, with four original chairs has outlasted just about everything! Countless spills, endless homework struggles....The gears to put in the leafs still work even, which is kinda amazing.

So yeah, I'll take the old set over the new crap today.

We have the new crap today because it's possible to cheaply manufacture. Back when your table was made, they didn't have plastics and fiberboard or formica. They all had to be made of solid wood.

As well, you can still find well made furniture created by people who still take 100 hours to build one table, they're just expensive. The primary difference is that all tables had to be made by a craftsman 100 years ago, so they would all be rather expensive. Now, you don't have to save up or spend an obscene amount of money to get a table. You can just go buy a cheapo one, and then buy another cheapo one in a few decades. Your kids can buy their own cheapo one after that.

There is something to be said for heirlooms like that, though. If the item has already been purchased many many years ago and is in good condition, then there's little additional cost to maintaining it and it makes good sense. I have a desk that is a family heirloom and I'll give it to my nephew when he gets older.

You can always build yourself...

My nephew recently inherited a desk my dad built -- in high school (1948) - that was entered into the state fair's judging for school projects.. Won first place... Very nice desk - all cherry, with maple and ash secondary wood.

I've got a nightstand he built.

I've built some stuff too -- including the bed that I sleep on -- and have for the past 10 years.

I prefer to DIY -- it almost always saves me money..

My most recent project --- a wheeled weed whacker -- for mowing around the edge of the pond. (too steep for a regular mower - it'd wreck the engine - splash up oil system doesn't work on incline) I used a motor off of a power washer (for the big flywheel they use) -- and rather than a conventional blade -- it's got a 15 inch 1/4 steel cable... An industrial weed whacker, if you will.... All aluminum deck. 2 wheeled. Only about 22 lbs.... I priced a commercial version -- almost $1100. My cost -- $120....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-09-2015, 12:33 PM
(17-09-2015 12:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My house was built in the 1880's....

Anybody want to trade for one built this year - of the same size???

No???

hmmmmmm.....

See how that works???

I'm jealous…my house is only 85 years old. I love my oldish house much better than the newer houses I've lived in. A house that was built in the 1880s would appeal very much.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
17-09-2015, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2015 12:44 PM by yakherder.)
(17-09-2015 12:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 12:23 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  We have the new crap today because it's possible to cheaply manufacture. Back when your table was made, they didn't have plastics and fiberboard or formica. They all had to be made of solid wood.

As well, you can still find well made furniture created by people who still take 100 hours to build one table, they're just expensive. The primary difference is that all tables had to be made by a craftsman 100 years ago, so they would all be rather expensive. Now, you don't have to save up or spend an obscene amount of money to get a table. You can just go buy a cheapo one, and then buy another cheapo one in a few decades. Your kids can buy their own cheapo one after that.

There is something to be said for heirlooms like that, though. If the item has already been purchased many many years ago and is in good condition, then there's little additional cost to maintaining it and it makes good sense. I have a desk that is a family heirloom and I'll give it to my nephew when he gets older.

You can always build yourself...

My nephew recently inherited a desk my dad built -- in high school (1948) - that was entered into the state fair's judging for school projects.. Won first place... Very nice desk - all cherry, with maple and ash secondary wood.

I've built some stuff too -- including the bed that I sleep on -- and have for the past 10 years.

My most recent project --- a wheeled weed whacker -- for mowing around the edge of the pond. (too steep for a regular mower - it'd wreck the engine - splash up oil system doesn't work on incline) I used a motor off of a power washer (for the big flywheel they use) -- and rather than a conventional blade -- it's got a 15 inch 1/4 steel cable... An industrial weed whacker, if you will.... All aluminum deck. 2 wheeled. Only about 22 lbs.... I priced a commercial version -- almost $1100. My cost -- $120....

I'm the same way. Can't do everything, but I can work my way through most of it. When I moved to Canada, we bought a small property with a piece of shit on it that was barely liveable. We then dismantled it all except for the foundation and rebuilt a small but well constructed house without shortcuts. For legal reasons, we had to get a licensed electrician to come in and do parts of it that we could have theoretically done ourselves quite easily. We now own a property worth over twice what we invested on it and our current monthly expenses are about $300 lol. Most people spend way too much money on stuff that isn't as hard to do themselves as they think it is. I can't believe how much money people dump into vehicle maintenance for things that just aren't that difficult with even basic tools.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
17-09-2015, 12:43 PM
(17-09-2015 12:09 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  LOL....

SOLD....

You know why I call it "central heating"??

Because the woodstove is in the middle of the living room....

No central heat.

One bathroom.

Most of the house barely has electrical service.

Several walls have no insulation.

The "foundation" under the northern part is way under code -- just fieldstone with patched and repatched mortar.

OH yeah -- and plastic plumbing.

And leaky assed double hung windows that need constant maintenance to keep the wind out in the winter....

Did I mention termites???? (Dad said they were here when they moved in in 1936...)

When do I get to move in????

Big Grin

But it's still standing....

There's no way this house would stand that long....

It's around 10 years old and already has issues.

If the backyard continues to degrade (we've lost around a foot a year so far), the house will eventually slide with it. The county (who owns the land behind us, did plant some trees to slow the erosion...But admitted its a problem and we'll eventually need to put in a retaining wall on our side, which a structural engineer said it would be difficult to do, and much easier to do it on the county part of the land.

Oh and we have two huge windows that lost their seal...they're plastic framed and can't be repaired -- only choice is to just replace them.

You can't vacuum the upstairs with the tv and lights on downstairs because you'll trip a breaker. The breaker panel is in the basement and the only way you can access it, is to walk outside, across the deck, down the steps into the basement...which is really fun in the winter when it always becomes an icy slip and slide. Yes I'll admit the few weeks of summer isn't terrible to walk down there.

While we do have central heat, it doesn't really heat or cool the upstairs very well, due to a design flaw where some of the duct work...well doesn't work...Insulation is that blown stuff...like feathers in a pillow, which was ok when the house was built I guess, but has since compacted.

There is no place for a fan for the oven, so it was just never connected. The oven has actually scorched the oak cabinets under the oven.

Good luck replacing the refrigerator, the so called built in space, is an obsolete size and so best plan on using the garage.

Same with the cooktop...one of the burners is going and we discovered to replace it, we'd have to completely demolish the island and make it large enough to accommodate a new one...

Now that presents other issues...like the refrigerator and oven...it's likely neither would open, Laugh out load with a larger island.

I told husband I'm ready to full Italian and just buy an awesome oven with 6 burners and put it in the garage...And just use the kitchen for "show".

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-09-2015, 12:47 PM
(17-09-2015 12:40 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 12:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You can always build yourself...

I'm the same way. Can't do everything, but I can work my way through most of it. When I moved to Canada, we bought a small property with a piece of shit on it that was barely livable. We then dismantled it all except for the foundation and rebuilt a small but well constructed house without shortcuts. For legal reasons, we had to get a licensed electrician to come in and do parts of it that we could have theoretically done ourselves quite easily. We now own a property worth over twice what we invested on it and our current monthly expenses are about $300 lol. Most people spend way too much money on stuff that isn't as hard to do themselves as they think it is. I can't believe how much money people dump into vehicle maintenance for things that just aren't that difficult with even basic tools.

Absofuckinglutely to both of you.

OB, I like your style. I too over engineer the hell out of the things I make and it costs way less. I have a 55 gallon fish tank that used to be in the back room of my house. No one ever saw it and I generally neglected it because I rarely saw it. I decided I wanted to move it into the living room, but my living room is tiny. I looked around online and found a really cool idea that was a tank enclosure with a TV stand on top if it. They were about $1000 and looked like they wouldn't hold up... so, I went out an got some wood, screws, and some paint and designed and built one myself for $150. I have a picture somewhere of when it was done, my friend and I got on top of it and jumped up and down. He's 300lbs and it barely shifted. Thumbsup

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
17-09-2015, 01:07 PM
(17-09-2015 12:47 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 12:40 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I'm the same way. Can't do everything, but I can work my way through most of it. When I moved to Canada, we bought a small property with a piece of shit on it that was barely livable. We then dismantled it all except for the foundation and rebuilt a small but well constructed house without shortcuts. For legal reasons, we had to get a licensed electrician to come in and do parts of it that we could have theoretically done ourselves quite easily. We now own a property worth over twice what we invested on it and our current monthly expenses are about $300 lol. Most people spend way too much money on stuff that isn't as hard to do themselves as they think it is. I can't believe how much money people dump into vehicle maintenance for things that just aren't that difficult with even basic tools.

Absofuckinglutely to both of you.

OB, I like your style. I too over engineer the hell out of the things I make and it costs way less. I have a 55 gallon fish tank that used to be in the back room of my house. No one ever saw it and I generally neglected it because I rarely saw it. I decided I wanted to move it into the living room, but my living room is tiny. I looked around online and found a really cool idea that was a tank enclosure with a TV stand on top if it. They were about $1000 and looked like they wouldn't hold up... so, I went out an got some wood, screws, and some paint and designed and built one myself for $150. I have a picture somewhere of when it was done, my friend and I got on top of it and jumped up and down. He's 300lbs and it barely shifted. Thumbsup

Right on...

Years back -- I built a "fish tank" --

The machine shop I worked for gave me my "own department" -- and I got a bunch of custom work doing stuff for Textron. (The pay was very good) -- they came to me with a project -- they wanted to build a tank for doing under fluid pressure testing for parts of a weldment for a land based turbine they were building. They needed a clear tank - 5 feet long x 2.5 wide x 3 foot deep. They wanted it out of 1/4 plexiglass.....

I took one look at the measurement and figured the weight of the fluid (kerosene) and realized that the plexi wouldn't take the weight -- at that thickness. I did the math on it several times - and realized that it the minimum thickness would have to be just under 3/4 inch for it to have a good chance of succeeding.....

Textron said "go ahead".... I went with the next size over 3/4 inch (it's in MM)

I got the plexi -- cut it up - and used a Series II Bridgeport to square and size up the pieces. I made an assembly jig - put it together -- and used a capillary tube and MEK based acrylic glue -- and wicked the adhesive into the joints.

Got it right, in one try. No leaks.

Then I had to build them a transport box.....

Their engineer loved it.....

Fun work, if you can do it...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-09-2015, 01:14 PM
(17-09-2015 01:07 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 12:47 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Absofuckinglutely to both of you.

Right on...

Years back -- I built a "fish tank" --

The machine shop I worked for gave me my "own department" -- and I got a bunch of custom work doing stuff for Textron. (The pay was very good) -- they came to me with a project -- they wanted to build a tank for doing under fluid pressure testing for parts of a weldment for a land based turbine they were building. They needed a clear tank - 5 feet long x 2.5 wide x 3 foot deep. They wanted it out of 1/4 plexiglass.....

I took one look at the measurement and figured the weight of the fluid (kerosene) and realized that the plexi wouldn't take the weight -- at that thickness. I did the math on it several times - and realized that it the minimum thickness would have to be just under 3/4 inch for it to have a good chance of succeeding.....

Textron said "go ahead".... I went with the next size over 3/4 inch (it's in MM)

I got the plexi -- cut it up - and used a Series II Bridgeport to square and size up the pieces. I made an assembly jig - put it together -- and used a capillary tube and MEK based acrylic glue -- and wicked the adhesive into the joints.

Got it right, in one try. No leaks.

Then I had to build them a transport box.....

Their engineer loved it.....

Fun work, if you can do it...

Nice. I'm looking to build a new tank. The one I have is just a tank inside a fancy frame. The way volume scales up, I could have a much higher volume tank if I just build it into the inside of the frame. I'm thinking of using 1/2 inch sapphire glass and getting some really pretty hardwood for the frame. I figure I can make it about 350 gallons for what I'd pay for a brand new 55 gallon glass tank.

On the topic of over engineering, my best friend has a saying. "Nobody ever complains about their shit NOT breaking."

I swear, if we ever actually build the house we want, it would survive a nuclear apocalypse.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
17-09-2015, 01:55 PM
(17-09-2015 01:14 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  On the topic of over engineering, my best friend has a saying. "Nobody ever complains about their shit NOT breaking."

I swear, if we ever actually build the house we want, it would survive a nuclear apocalypse.

my husband over-builds everything...but he prefers to call it doing it fucking right the first time do he'll never have to do it again.

Yes

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm not gonna go all out on a "get by cheaply while you save lots of money" house like the one I'm in now, but I imagine in the next five years or so I'm gonna get a relatively isolated lakefront property and go absolutely nuts with it.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
17-09-2015, 02:16 PM
(17-09-2015 01:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-09-2015 01:14 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  On the topic of over engineering, my best friend has a saying. "Nobody ever complains about their shit NOT breaking."

my husband over-builds everything...but he prefers to call it doing it fucking right the first time do he'll never have to do it again.

Yes

That's the way to do it. I enjoy my projects, but I don't want to have to go back and fix it once it's finished. That's kinda the point of being finished.