Antique store buys

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Antique store buys
As a few of you may know, I currently live in Taipei, Taiwan where I am studying Chinese. I've been visiting antique stores/districts in the area and have come across some really neat pieces. I just wanted to share them.

This is a 14” x 26.5” x 5.75” hand carved wooden statue of the Daoist weather deities Sire Thunder (Leigong, 雷公) and the Mother of lightning (Dianmu, 電母). It is carved from a single log. Sire Thunder is an old god stretching back to the Han Dynasty (206 BCE - 220 CE). Past depictions include a human, an ape, and a half-snake, but his depictions from the Tang Dynasty (618-907) onward portray him as a bird man. This avian form is based on the bird god Garuda who arrived with Esoteric Buddhism during this time. The weather god is in charge of producing rain, mainly by subjugating rain dragons. He creates lighting by striking a chisel with a hammer. I know very little about the history of the Mother of Lighting. She produces lighting with mirrors.

Here is a black and white image for better details.

[Image: EagQ7a.png]

This is a hand worked Tibetan metal wall hanging depicting the noted 8th-century Indian Buddhist saint Rinpoche Padmasambhava. He sits on a "gate of glory" or "enlightenment torana", a throne based on ancient South Asian architecture. The throne is surrounded by all sorts of real and mythical creatures. The apex is crowned by Garuda eating serpents (I traced the origin of this motif in my paper here). The bottom is a "Face of Glory", a symbol of greed, which is always eating. The reverse features the Tibetan script for the three symbol mantra associated with the Rinpoche's worship, Om Am Hum. It’s 17” x 18” x 3”. The piece is hollow but still pretty heavy.

[Image: 57MOeZ.jpg]

[Image: u7hHvj.png]

[Image: G7aQO4.jpg]

[Image: BZ4a6o.jpg]

This is a really long wall scroll covered in Esoteric Buddhist deities. I believe it's at least 15 feet long. The seller must have thought I was a dumb westerner when I asked him how much because he quoted me the equivalent of $2,300 US. That is obviously way too much. I told him in Chinese that I knew it was printed and not painted, it had some creases and water spots. I talked him down to a far more manageable price.

This is a fully functioning lazy susan that has been painted with pop culture figures. For instance, Astro Boy is painted like Sun Wukong.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
18-05-2018, 01:16 AM
RE: Antique store buys
Too cool!

Around here an antique shop will have a couple rusty milk cans, a few wooden pulleys and a stack of Life magazines.

If anything as cool as you showed turned up in an antique shop here, people would have a stroke.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
18-05-2018, 02:49 AM
Those are very cool, how much did they set you back? If it was a "cheap" grab, check out ebay as a lot of stuff like that sells for ALOT of money.

I do need to visit antique shops more, as they have some cool stuff in there.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
18-05-2018, 03:19 AM
(18-05-2018 01:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Too cool!

Around here an antique shop will have a couple rusty milk cans, a few wooden pulleys and a stack of Life magazines.

If anything as cool as you showed turned up in an antique shop here, people would have a stroke.

The big flea market near me has a lot stuff like that too, but also lots and lots of jade and Asian antiques. A lot of times antique stores/markets here have nothing but jade. It's kind of annoying.

(18-05-2018 02:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Those are very cool, how much did they set you back? If it was a "cheap" grab, check out ebay as a lot of stuff like that sells for ALOT of money.

I spent several hundred dollars on everything in total. I did however get them for much cheaper than what they were worth. I do plan to post some of this stuff on ebay. It if sells for lots of money, good. If it doesn't, then I still have lots of neat stuff. The only thing is I'm currently blocked from using ebay because of some weird Taiwanese firewall at the moment. I have no real problem with other sites, such as this one.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
18-05-2018, 06:05 AM
(18-05-2018 03:19 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(18-05-2018 01:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Too cool!

The big flea market near me has a lot stuff like that too, but also lots and lots of jade and Asian antiques. A lot of times antique stores/markets here have nothing but jade. It's kind of annoying.

(18-05-2018 02:49 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Those are very cool, how much did they set you back? If it was a "cheap" grab, check out ebay as a lot of stuff like that sells for ALOT of money.

I spent several hundred dollars on everything in total. I did however get them for much cheaper than what they were worth. I do plan to post some of this stuff on ebay. It if sells for lots of money, good. If it doesn't, then I still have lots of neat stuff. The only thing is I'm currently blocked from using ebay because of some weird Taiwanese firewall at the moment. I have no real problem with other sites, such as this one.

You were smart to bargain them down. I'm sure you're right that the initial price was ridiculously high since you're a foreigner and they figure it's worth a try.

I've done a bit of shopping in China, and my hosts always told me just to assume that every antique that's affordable is fake -- recently made in a fake factory. They know full well what real stuff is worth and mostly sell it overseas. So the rule is generally to buy what you like enough that you don't care about authenticity and resale value.

I got a lovely "dreamstone" on the top of sacred mountain Tai Shan. It is almost certainly fake, but it looks great on my work table and reminds me of happy memories. It's a bit like this one, although the one in this photo is real and worth a zillion dollars:

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/261068109632487745/

If you resell things on eBay you might mention when and where you got it, just so knowledgable people are sufficiently warned.

I was so proud of not getting cheated in any shops that I fell for a different ploy right away. A young lady in Beijing invited me to a show of art students' work and suggested that since they were young and needy it would be nice of me to get a couple of things. And as soon as I got back to my own campus I saw in my guidebook that it specifically warned against fake art students! These works too are made in fake-tories and flogged to dumb foreigners, of which I was one. So I was pretty pissed until I calculated that I'd only spent $30, and the scroll would make a nice Christmas present for someone not proud like me.
[+] 1 user Likes Belaqua's post
18-05-2018, 07:17 AM
(18-05-2018 06:05 AM)Belaqua Wrote:  You were smart to bargain them down. I'm sure you're right that the initial price was ridiculously high since you're a foreigner and they figure it's worth a try.

I've done a bit of shopping in China, and my hosts always told me just to assume that every antique that's affordable is fake -- recently made in a fake factory. They know full well what real stuff is worth and mostly sell it overseas. So the rule is generally to buy what you like enough that you don't care about authenticity and resale value.

I got a lovely "dreamstone" on the top of sacred mountain Tai Shan. It is almost certainly fake, but it looks great on my work table and reminds me of happy memories. It's a bit like this one, although the one in this photo is real and worth a zillion dollars:

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/261068109632487745/

If you resell things on eBay you might mention when and where you got it, just so knowledgable people are sufficiently warned.

I was so proud of not getting cheated in any shops that I fell for a different ploy right away. A young lady in Beijing invited me to a show of art students' work and suggested that since they were young and needy it would be nice of me to get a couple of things. And as soon as I got back to my own campus I saw in my guidebook that it specifically warned against fake art students! These works too are made in fake-tories and flogged to dumb foreigners, of which I was one. So I was pretty pissed until I calculated that I'd only spent $30, and the scroll would make a nice Christmas present for someone not proud like me.

Good advice. I used to sell antiques in the US, so I have a good eye for things that are real and fake. I usually treat things as fake if I'm not certain. My knowledge base is by no means extensive. Whether or not I can tell something is fake is based more on knowing the methods to prematurely age something than a deep understanding of a country's material culture.

I was actually having a similar discussion with my housemate about sellers saving their good stuff for a better venue. A random person off the street wouldn't be able to afford their (often inflated) asking price.