Antiques collecting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Antiques collecting?
Do any of you have anything that's antique? The oldest thing I have is a gold hat pin that belonged to my great-great grandmother on my grandmother's side of the family. It's about from the early 1870's . We have a photo of my great great grandmother wearing it in an old photo. It's so cool to have the photo and hat pin.

Once in a while I like to watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS to see what people have. Some of it is the ugliest shit I've ever seen and if I had it I'd sell it in a skinny minute but some of the stuff is really nice.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-07-2015, 02:42 PM
RE: Antiques collecting?
hell....

My house is older than that.......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-07-2015, 02:55 PM
(20-07-2015 02:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  hell....

Big Grin

Well, thanks. Thanks for making my nifty hat pin seem like nothin special. Sadcryface

It's kinda funny, my dad was the black sheep of the family and everything handed down from older family members never got to us. We were never asked if we'd like anything from our great aunts or my grandfather. The only reason we have that hat pin is because my mother saw it sitting in a drawer and needed the pokie end to dig out something from under her fingernail. She kept it. Later she saw the old photo of my g. g. grandmother and took that too.

We were never offered anything when people died and my mom got pissed. Not because she wanted a bunch of antique furniture or anything. She just wanted to be asked.

20-07-2015, 02:56 PM
I have some vintage jewelry that I picked up at various antique stores, yard sales etc. I like new pieces of jewelry as well--but I really like the unique quality of vintage jewelry. I am not sure how old they are or what they are worth, but I like them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
20-07-2015, 02:57 PM
(20-07-2015 02:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 02:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  hell....

Big Grin

Well, thanks. Thanks for making my nifty hat pin seem like nothin special. Sadcryface

It's kinda funny, my dad was the black sheep of the family and everything handed down from older family members never got to us. We were never asked if we'd like anything from our great aunts or my grandfather. The only reason we have that hat pin is because my mother saw it sitting in a drawer and needed the pokie end to dig out something from under her fingernail. She kept it. Later she saw the old photo of my g. g. grandmother and took that too.

We were never offered anything when people died and my mom got pissed. Not because she wanted a bunch of antique furniture or anything. She just wanted to be asked.

Don't feel bad -- your pin would probably be worth more than my house....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-07-2015, 03:04 PM
Yes, I have a few nice antiques.

I love shopping for antiques. Not too many real antique stores around here...more like glorified junk stores.

We went to big antique show here last year maybe...mostly over priced crap, punctuated with a few good finds. There was a Chester drawer that caught my eye...until I opened a drawer. Cheap wood and glue. Almost had me going...claimed it was from the 1800s. Nicely distressed. Claimed it had never been touched. Yeah that was bulshit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-07-2015, 03:35 PM
Does anyone remember the old guy on Antiques Roadshow with the Navajo blanket?

Then there was this guy. This story actually made me cry. You can see him say "oh my fucking god" at one point during the auction.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-07-2015, 12:20 AM
(20-07-2015 03:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Does anyone remember the old guy on Antiques Roadshow with the Navajo blanket?

Then there was this guy. This story actually made me cry. You can see him say "oh my fucking god" at one point during the auction.

That was touching, but I just can't get over the fact that someone spent 1.5 million dollars on what's effectively a blanket with some interesting history. Shocking

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
21-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I don't know what the 'official' definition of an antique is. Consider

I have a clock and a lazy-susan that my grandfather made; also photographs that he took, developed, printed, and framed.

Also have furniture that belonged to grandparents.

Then there are the antique watches and firearms.

I don't really collect this stuff, it just ... collects. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Nature abhors a vacuum.....