Antiques collecting?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2015, 11:01 AM
RE: Antiques collecting?
(21-07-2015 10:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't know what the 'official' definition of an antique is. Consider

I have a clock and a lazy-susan that my grandfather made; also photographs that he took, developed, printed, and framed.

Also have furniture that belonged to grandparents.

Then there are the antique watches and firearms.

I don't really collect this stuff, it just ... collects. Dodgy

My husband has a gun from around 1916. He was in an antique store and actually found the bullets for it which he quickly bought. I think they were around 20 dollars for a box. This makes the gun worth more now. Have no idea what kind of gun it is. I'd have to ask.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 11:09 AM
(21-07-2015 10:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  I don't know what the 'official' definition of an antique is. Consider

I have a clock and a lazy-susan that my grandfather made; also photographs that he took, developed, printed, and framed.

Our kitchen table is around 100 years old. My husband's grandmother used to have it in her basement. They used it for making pasta.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-07-2015, 11:36 AM
We have a number of things that would be considered antiques, but the best part is some of them we know "who gave what to whom", and when. Some are from my great granny's house. One is a dining table and buffet set great gramps gave her as a wedding gift which was an antique when he gave it to her. We took the legs off once to move it, and piece of paper from the factory in South Carolina from the 1780's fell out. We take good care of it. Tongue There are lots of little do dads. (I like the hat pin idea from the OP). I have her treadle sewing machine somewhere .. it needs a bobbin case, but I know she used it a lot, which is why it's cool. It still has needles and various little scissors she used, in the little drawers and pockets. There is a (complete) set of Haviland Limoges china, for 12, that should probably be locked up. The pattern for it was destroyed when the factory was bombed in WWII. I don't think we've ever had a price put on it, cuz we'd never sell it. It shows up in many old family pictures, (as does the dining set). It's so old that it even has "butter pats" and a chocolate pot, and junk ya just never hear of any more, as part of sets. My grandma dropped the big platter, (there are three) once when she was little, and it broke, and she was in big trouble. But they had it fixed. I called a jewler once to ask about it, (it's a "Schleiger" pattern in the Schleiger 4 volume book of French china patterns) to ask about if the tea pot has a base. She asked me "is it the patinum edged set, ot the gold edged set" Hobo ? I think it's gold, but a lot is worn off, so I can't really tell. Somewhere there is a "Mirschaum" Indian ivory pipe, carved with little balls carved inside other ivory balls, (seamless) that are the same as a chess set in a museum out here. They wanted it, but I think my sister has it and said "no way". That probably is worth the most ... but she won't even tell us where it is now. By far I got the "haul" cuz they are all older than me, and had houses and all they needed when granny died.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-07-2015, 11:48 AM
(21-07-2015 11:01 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

My husband has a gun from around 1916. He was in an antique store and actually found the bullets for it which he quickly bought. I think they were around 20 dollars for a box. This makes the gun worth more now. Have no idea what kind of gun it is. I'd have to ask.

As firearms go -- 1916 is actually modern era.....

Considering the 38 special, 45 acp and 30-06 were all predating 1916, and are all current standards and guns and ammo chambered in these are all still very much in demand......

I consider only stuff from before 1890 as "antique"...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-07-2015, 12:00 PM
(21-07-2015 11:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 11:01 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband has a gun from around 1916. He was in an antique store and actually found the bullets for it which he quickly bought. I think they were around 20 dollars for a box. This makes the gun worth more now. Have no idea what kind of gun it is. I'd have to ask.

As firearms go -- 1916 is actually modern era.....

Considering the 38 special, 45 acp and 30-06 were all predating 1916, and are all current standards and guns and ammo chambered in these are all still very much in demand......

I consider only stuff from before 1890 as "antique"...

I had a friend who collected antique guns. He had one musket from before the revolutionary war.

But he divided his collection at first by century, then by function, but as his collection grew, he began arranging them differently.

He's quite the gun authority today and a certified restorer.

He really wanted my old Winchester rifle because he said it was "unplugged", but I ended up donating it to the Winchester Mystery house museum instead.

21-07-2015, 12:07 PM

Ummm. I took the high road here. Just sayin' Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-07-2015, 12:09 PM
(21-07-2015 12:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Ummm. I took the high road here. Just sayin' Tongue

I took an even higher road by not mentioning it. Cool

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-07-2015, 01:29 PM
(21-07-2015 12:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 12:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Ummm. I took the high road here. Just sayin' Tongue

I took an even higher road by not mentioning it. Cool

Your forbearance is admirable. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post