Antisocial and Negative Outlook.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 09:25 AM
RE: Antisocial and Negative Outlook.
I haven't always been very sociable, but when I started playing blues gigs around town it kind of forced me to talk to people who came up to me after my set. You would have people buying you drinks and just wanting to chat. I suppose that was the turning point for me.

I am now rather sociable, I enjoy just being with people chatting... usually whist having a wee swally. Wink

The strange thing is I hate people. I hate the public and going out usually means you will come into contact with them... don't know how I do it. Big Grin

[Image: opforum1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
08-06-2012, 09:30 AM
You know, for someone who says they struggle with getting angry and explosive, you sure pull off the balance well. There are many times on this forum I can see it being easy to lose it when stuff happens, but you don't. You are to the point and fair and never seem reactive. As much as you might feel that way, from what I see here you have mad skills to deal with that.

Some people who are sensitive to crappy weather use light therapy. It's a special light that emulates the sun's rays. People with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) use it. (basically the 'winter blues'). You can purchase lamps online. Also infra red saunas help with that, too. Might be something worth looking into. I go to an infra red sauna in the winter for this and it helps me. You can go to them in some health food store and it works like a tanning bed where you can buy minutes.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I slept on it and I still hate you.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 12:32 PM by kim.)
So... Luc... you are me.
Without tits. Dodgy

I'll tell you one thing I do know: LadyJane knows her shit! I might suspect she's God or Gwynnies, but neither would do her justice. Angel

I did something years ago that I feel compelled to relate...
There was a point in my life when I noticed that I felt fantastic, completely able, and totally "in charge" of well, of everything ... for long time, and this is what I was doing: I was a glass blower. Yep, sounds weird, but that is what it was.

Evidently, getting literally baked everyday in front of glass tanks, I received my allotted amount of UV, infra red, gamma, vitamins ... whatever it was that I wasn't getting from the long, gray winters. It wasn't just the light on my retina, either - I needed it to soak into my body. When I left glassblowing for greener pastures, it took a while but the difference became palpable, and I took heed.

I seriously began paying more attention to the science going on around me - for instance, I found out the only other natural way to get vitamin D besides the sun, is to eat mushrooms which are also an excellent source of B vitamins, selenium, and powerful antioxidants. You can get small amounts from eating animals, but it doesn't metabolize in the body the same way as it does from the Sun or from eating mushrooms. Who knew eating fungus would have an up side?

I'd certainly try that infra red sauna or buy a lamp as LadyJane suggested. I know a lot of gyms have full spectrum lighting; might be something to check out. Or you could take up glass blowing. Unsure Uh, yea... just a thought.

Ideas for fun and profit:
Instead of trying to achieve an ever higher level of fitness, which is usually the goal of weight training or running, rearrange priorities to fit the body's needs. Remaining flexible as you're body changes while you age, is a key to maintaining health, coordination, and a sharp mind. And I should know; I'm fucking ancient.

Rather than distracting the mind with drugs, engage it with a new focus... one that will connect it (the focused mind) to the body. Learn something new; possibly try one of the many martial arts, Tai Chi, or Yoga. Each is often done far into old age and helps keep the body steady and the mind sharp. Such activities are completely dependent on you only, and require little more than basic instruction. (I've helped many people establish their personal Yoga practice and frankly, I discourage "classes".)

As far as being an introvert - you are who you are. As am I. (What's the saying... joke 'em if they can't take a fuck.)
It's possible the need for aloneness is more noticeable at this time and might only look like a factor in your current funk. Sounds as if you are in a period of transition of sorts. I have every confidence you will pull through, because I'm sure you've met the challenge before. Of course, if you do any of the swell things above, people will probably start wishing they could have more time alone so they can get their shit together like you... well, fuck them. Let them get their own damn funk.

Sometimes I consider life a series of reorganization of the self; of changing things around so that new things fit - getting rid of some things completely - starting over - continually tweaking the self. Bottom line: change is good - be proactive and take over, so it doesn't overtake you. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
For the most part the internet people don't bother me.
There have been a couple of douchebags that have annoyed me, and one issue that was a little mentally taxing, but otherwise I find it strange when people take the internetz so seriously, I type as I'm typing in a serious thread...

I try to look at the internet community the same way Erxomai does. I hate you too buddy.

As for the sun lamps, I've heard of them, but I think living where I do, my best chance would be to order online and I don't do that.
I'm thinking I might try appealing to the native community and asking them to stop the fucking rain dancing. I kid, the dance does nothing.

Is there a sun dance by the way? I know so little of the native super powers. I've clearly wasted the resource of my neighboring natives.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I have a "Happy Light" that I think came from Target.

It makes me nauseous so I don't use it much. However, I've just now switched it on to see what happens.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't like to have to endure several gloomy days in a row. Husband and son would prefer every window in the house to be bricked over and most lights turned off. That's why I picked this house...22 windows and one is a HUGE half moon window about 18 feet off the floor...the men in this house haven't figured out how to cover it yet but I feel sure they are plotting something. I feel like I am living with Vampires.

I don't exercise, never have. My meditation is either a mindless computer or Kindle game, or I sew. Handsewing seems monotonous to many but to me it's something I have done since my early teens. It relaxes me and if in the mood (like a few days last week) I can sew for 12 hours at a time while listening to podcasts or music. I would rather sit by myself, totally absorbed in making some project for the grandkids (used to be for the kids or as gifts) than socializing.

We can't all be the belle of the ball.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-06-2012, 06:25 PM
(07-06-2012 07:25 PM)lucradis Wrote:  For those of you who are social butterflies, I have to ask how you do it. And tell you that you do something better than me that you probably weren't even aware was actually hard.

Pretend. Pretend that seeing them is THE BEST thing that could have happened at that time.
That'll make it easier, it's kinda like a game too.
Just TRY it.
Once.

ADDISON396
09-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Social butterflies need a bug zapper, what I'm thinking. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
09-06-2012, 10:12 AM
You know, Lucradis...I am much like you. I like being alone and do not derive much benefit form being in large crowds. I really do not care much for others and the whole idea of friendship in our society puzzles me.

Like all of us I have to put on an act, you know, force myself to engage in a tad of small talk or pretend to be "upbeat" at an interview (believe me, it's a torture to answer all those stupid questions when all you're after is a damned job)
Pretending is a chore and saps the energy from me...all you end up doing, by pretending, is acting like Pavlov's dogs where you are conditioned to illicit a trained response. That's not being yourself, that's just being a trained seal. But..our society is geared up in that we are forced to do that to a great degree just so we can "impress" our bosses or whomever.

If I am in a situation where I am surrounded by large crowds, I need to eventually find a quiet place to retreat to just to rest from all the chaotic mental static I encounter.
There is nothing wrong with being introverted even though our society likes to vilify those of us who are. Actually it is our culture who favors the loud, boisterous and social butterflies while treating introverts as if they have some sort of illness.

I never had friends and am fine without them and if I am with others I fare better with just a tiny group rather than a herd of people. I dislike loud noises and bring earplugs or cotton with me to places that I suspect will get noisy.
Anyways...not all of us relish social contact but so long as we can handle ourselves when need be then I see no problems.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.