Antonin Scalia thinks the Devil is a real person.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2013, 01:30 PM
RE: Antonin Scalia thinks the Devil is a real person.
(07-10-2013 12:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We had a thread somewhere about this. Not only Scallia, but think about it. Even Obomba and his VP, (a practicing Catholic) *say* they believe in this stuff.
That means that the people who actually have the "nuclear football" in their control all the time, actually really think that in the room with them now today, there are invisible evil, fallen angel beings, trying to influence their behavior.

I get the feeling that Biden and Obama are more likely to be lying about their beliefs than Scalia.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 01:45 PM
(08-10-2013 01:30 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  How do you know the devil exists? Because he's hidden all evidence that he does! How clever!

So, is the reason that we don't see demon possession anymore (because the devil is smart and wants us to not think he's real) the same reason we don't see miracles anymore?
This is a bit of tangent, but your comment reminded me. I once brought up to a Christian friend that, in the supposed battle between God and Satan, it's equally plausible that Satan won. In that version, he would have thrown God into hell and spread lies that God is really Satan, the evil one, whom he defeated. Satan then would have pretended to be God in order to delude humans for his master plan. Besides, it fits better with all the "God" of the Bible.

Anyway, my friend told me that was completely ridiculous and Satan made me think that way because he want to hide the truth from me. Rolleyes
(To which I replied, of course it's ridiculous - both versions are ridiculous - but if you find one plausible, the other is equally plausible.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
08-10-2013, 01:57 PM
(08-10-2013 01:45 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 01:30 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  How do you know the devil exists? Because he's hidden all evidence that he does! How clever!

So, is the reason that we don't see demon possession anymore (because the devil is smart and wants us to not think he's real) the same reason we don't see miracles anymore?
This is a bit of tangent, but your comment reminded me. I once brought up to a Christian friend that, in the supposed battle between God and Satan, it's equally plausible that Satan won. In that version, he would have thrown God into hell and spread lies that God is really Satan, the evil one, whom he defeated. Satan then would have pretended to be God in order to delude humans for his master plan. Besides, it fits better with all the "God" of the Bible.

Anyway, my friend told me that was completely ridiculous and Satan made me think that way because he want to hide the truth from me. Rolleyes
(To which I replied, of course it's ridiculous - both versions are ridiculous - but if you find one plausible, the other is equally plausible.)
Oh, absolutely. I mean, can a Christian prove that their god isn't actually a liar, and that any given portion of the Bible isn't false? What proof do they have that this isn't the case? The Bible!?

For all they can prove, maybe all the Old Testament stuff about capricious, murderous jealousy is true, and all the parts about heaven and compassion are fake. Maybe there was no Satan and it's all God. Who knows!? This is what happens when you base your entire world view on a single, non-falsifiable book.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-10-2013, 04:18 PM
(08-10-2013 01:57 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 01:45 PM)Impulse Wrote:  This is a bit of tangent, but your comment reminded me. I once brought up to a Christian friend that, in the supposed battle between God and Satan, it's equally plausible that Satan won. In that version, he would have thrown God into hell and spread lies that God is really Satan, the evil one, whom he defeated. Satan then would have pretended to be God in order to delude humans for his master plan. Besides, it fits better with all the "God" of the Bible.

Oh, absolutely. I mean, can a Christian prove that their god isn't actually a liar, and that any given portion of the Bible isn't false? What proof do they have that this isn't the case? The Bible!?

For all they can prove, maybe all the Old Testament stuff about capricious, murderous jealousy is true, and all the parts about heaven and compassion are fake. Maybe there was no Satan and it's all God. Who knows!? This is what happens when you base your entire world view on a single, non-falsifiable book.
Exactly.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
08-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Ahhh ... the old Keyser Soze argument. Big Grin

"Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone."

"Keaton always said, 'I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him.' Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-10-2013, 05:51 PM
(08-10-2013 04:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ahhh ... the old Keyser Soze argument. Big Grin

"Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone."

"Keaton always said, 'I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him.' Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze."

Maybe my favorite Spacey performance. Maybe.....Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Of course the devil is hanging out on the axis of evil these days...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Wouldn't thinking the devil is a real person be an improvement over thinking he is a mythological beast from a plane of brimstone and fire?
Just one or 2 more steps and Scalia might reach the truth: devils do exist!

[Image: taz.jpg]

And they've got a hellish bite Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
08-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I would highly recommend people read The Birth of Satan by professors TJ Wray and Greg Mobley. It's a short, easy read, and a full of interesting facts.

For my summary on the origins of this fictional hysteria, please click here.

Evil_monster

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post
09-10-2013, 08:23 AM
(08-10-2013 01:45 PM)Impulse Wrote:  This is a bit of tangent, but your comment reminded me. I once brought up to a Christian friend that, in the supposed battle between God and Satan, it's equally plausible that Satan won. In that version, he would have thrown God into hell and spread lies that God is really Satan, the evil one, whom he defeated. Satan then would have pretended to be God in order to delude humans for his master plan. Besides, it fits better with all the "God" of the Bible.

It could be that the old testament god . . . IS the "angel of light", . . . "the great deceiver", . . . and was the one who made fase claims against Lucifer [light bringer] to make Lucifer out to be "all evil", "the Satan", the Devil we have been indoctrinated with today. Maybe this entity was trying to help humanity out and was punished by the evil ultimate power [who punishes those who don't worship him . . . . kinda like the Ori in Stargate SG-1]. If the Garden of Eden story were real, "the serpent" was trying to tell them the truth [which he actually was if you look at the story correctly], and was dealt with harshly by the entity who all christians believe to be their "loving god". Deception. The wool pulled over their eyes so they either can't see the truth or are too afraid to see it.

This is all for argument sake, of course.
[+] 2 users Like DeavonReye's post