Anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 06:24 AM
Anxiety
Hello.
I have a problem... I am an atheist, but i have gotten a stupid illness like thing:
I cant blink my eyes on certain objects, and i sometimes believe god is sending me secret messages(Stupid i know). One example is:
When i see a certain object or other things happen, it is god who is communicating with me.

How to remove this destructive thinking? It is really annoying and tiring.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2016, 06:52 AM
RE: Anxiety
(27-06-2016 06:24 AM)AG_001 Wrote:  Hello.
I have a problem... I am an atheist, but i have gotten a stupid illness like thing:
I cant blink my eyes on certain objects, and i sometimes believe god is sending me secret messages(Stupid i know). One example is:
When i see a certain object or other things happen, it is god who is communicating with me.

See a shrink. No joke.

BTW, which god? Asclepios?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-06-2016, 06:55 AM
(27-06-2016 06:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  

See a shrink. No joke.

The jewish/christian/muslim/abrahamic god.

I am at a shrink, but it doesnt help much. Got some pills but they say that i dont need them anymore because i no longer have psychosis. So im out of luck there. Huh
27-06-2016, 07:00 AM
(27-06-2016 06:55 AM)AG_001 Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 06:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  See a shrink. No joke.

The jewish/christian/muslim/abrahamic god.

I am at a shrink, but it doesnt help much. Got some pills but they say that i dont need them anymore because i no longer have psychosis. So im out of luck there. Huh

Mate I don't know. I've been a lifelong atheist. Perhaps a deconverted member can help. Sorry. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
27-06-2016, 07:01 AM
(27-06-2016 07:00 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 06:55 AM)AG_001 Wrote:  The jewish/christian/muslim/abrahamic god.

Mate I don't know. I've been a lifelong atheist. Perhaps a deconverted member can help. Sorry. Sad

Yeah okay. But thanks for replying, it made me a little bit better Smile
[+] 2 users Like AG_001's post
27-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Somebody (and I forget who so apologies to whomever) recently posted that in a similar situation they told themselves that the messages were coming from something else like a leprechaun. They could see how silly that was and were able to wean off the belief.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
27-06-2016, 07:30 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 07:42 AM by jennybee.)
I think it's hard when you come out of religion to completely break yourself away from the brainwashing sometimes. In my religion, we were taught that God sends signs to us or you could ask God for a sign etc., so I can see how you developed this way of thinking. However, as the rational part of you realizes, this way of thinking is not based in reality.

I think Banjo made a good point in asking which god? Maybe to think of it that way. If you had never been told about God and were living your life, would you ever see "signs" anywhere? This should tell you right there that this seed has been planted in your brain by religion and is not representative of reality.

I know there were times in my own life (back when I was highly religious) where I thought coincidences were God "talking" personally to me or sending me some sort of sign. This is what I thought based on the filth my religion fed me. I thought well, clearly these are weird coincidences or this situation is so remote to have happened or why do I keep seeing xyz unless it is a personal message from God just for me?

One thing I found with religion--never ever look just at the surface. Always dig deeper because there is always something more beyond the surface. Beyond the surface of woo are rational explanations based on science and psychology.

What is the psychology and science behind coincidences, woo. patterns etc.? It's how our brains are wired. Our brains like order. Our brains like things to make sense. Our brains are pattern makers. We see order where there is none. We see connection where there is none. Our brains fill in the blanks. All of this is thanks to evolution.

There are a couple of good books that are really helpful in explaining in detail all of what I mentioned above. One is The Improbability Principle by David Hand. The other is How We Know What Isn't So by Thomas Gilovich.

Just in terms of dealing with anxiety/stress in every day life, I like yoga and meditation.

I know you said you are seeing a psychiatrist, but does he/she specialize in anxiety disorders?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
27-06-2016, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2016 07:44 AM by jennybee.)
(27-06-2016 07:07 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Somebody (and I forget who so apologies to whomever) recently posted that in a similar situation they told themselves that the messages were coming from something else like a leprechaun. They could see how silly that was and were able to wean off the belief.

Yeah that was me Wink Only I didn't do it in relation to messages from God, I did it in relation to praying or thanking God for things happening to me in my life. But yes, I think it could work in this situation as well. Smile

Basically the leprechaun idea helps your brain see the absurdity in what it is doing. With brainwashing (because that's what was done to you via religion) your brain still retains old information and old fears even though you now live in rationality. Showing your brain the absurdity helps it "click".

So next time you see a sign or coincidence from God (first arm yourself with science and rational explanations because that's helpful too in getting your brain to realign it's way of thinking) but also equate your coincidences/signs to an invisible, magical leprechaun sending them to you. When you see God in signs, remind your brain it's the same thing as a magical, invisible leprechaun placing signs and coincidences just for you in your environment. Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
27-06-2016, 07:39 AM
(27-06-2016 06:52 AM)Banjo Wrote:  

See a shrink. No joke.

Great point. If you were never taught about God and were taught to believe in Zeus, would your brain assume Zeus was sending you signs? I would say that's a definite yes and therefore, it should show you that this is a learned behavior.

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-06-2016, 07:44 AM
(27-06-2016 07:39 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Great point. If you were never taught about God and were taught to believe in Zeus, would your brain assume Zeus was sending you signs? I would say that's a definite yes and therefore, it should show you that this is a learned behavior.

Ask Zeus, Hera, Athena and Aphrodite. Big Grin

A king even sacrificed his daughter at the behest of a priest. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post