Anxiety Disorders?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Anxiety Disorders?
I've mentioned in several threads that I have problems with anxiety. Recently I've been reading a lot about anxiety disorders and I saw that I have a lot of the symptoms. Worrying excessively about many things like school, my health, the health of my loved ones and the future; less sleep, low self confidence, loss of concentration.
But what worries me the most is telling my parents, I've always had problems talking about my worries and feelings because I fear that someone will judge me or think that I'm weak. Even though my parents have told me that I can tell them anything, I always get these thoughts telling me that people will laugh in my face.
I also constantly get into these vicious cycles where I get anxious, then get anxious about being anxious and so on and so forth.
I also get very anxious when it comes to what people think about me (its kinda stupid, I know) where I'm worrying if people think I'm weird or annoying all the time.
So has anyone here had (or has) an anxiety disorder?Can you give me any tips about how to go about dealing with it.

If it has anything to do with it, my mum has mild OCD and anxiety problems.
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2011, 08:08 PM

RE: Anxiety Disorders?
The fact that your mom does in fact have anxiety problems should mean that she would totally understand what you are going, and she will likely be very sympathetic and wanting to help you!

Tips? It is not something you can easily deal with all by yourself. You may need medication and/or counselling to deal with your thoughts/compulsions. You are best to see a professional because otherwise you might spend days and hours trying to self diagnose yourself over the internet which I don't think is all that healthy. It's one thing to want to learn and understand, but it's another to try and fix yourself.

Anxiety and depression is much more prevalent then you might think, most people will suffer from some form at some point in their life.

Nobody will judge you (if they do they are ignorant piece of shit that are probably racist and hate gays as well)

You are not weak: this is hormone and chemical imbalances in the brain. It is an illness/disease, just like a cold or broken leg.

Your parents will most definitely NOT laugh in your face! It sounds like they love you and want to help you, and they should be the first ones you talk to (that or a family doctor).

If you have anything you want to talk about in private you're welcome to PM me. I have suffered from been dealing with anxiety/panic disorder and been on medication for over 10 years now.
28-02-2011, 09:01 PM
(28-02-2011 08:08 PM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  You are best to see a professional because otherwise you might spend days and hours trying to self diagnose yourself over the internet which I don't think is all that healthy.

EXCELLENT advice. Even if there were professionals on this forum, they would need to see you to diagnose you. It's a hard step for some people, but it will be a great step you won't forget.

As for support, you got it! My wife has some serious anxiety problems, and if you need an ear, I've got two that are pretty damn good at what they do. Plus I can always bounce things off her when I'm at a loss. (She's been at it a while now, and come a long way)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Having been a kid, I can fully understand why you would be reluctant to tell your parents. Now that I'm a parent, I really encourage you to do so. If you have worries and think you need help, talk to your parents. I bet they will surprise you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
28-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Remember that you have plenty of people here to support you. If you are really scared to ask your parents talk to a counselor at school first. In some cases where there is a serious fear of parents reactions counselors introduce the issue to the parents to help make sure there isn't a violent reaction. I dealt with all of my issues alone as a kid, and it really effects you in more ways than just the issue you're trying to fix. Generally good therapy works fine to give you a drug free answer.

All children in public schooling in the US have access to a counselor, some areas maybe not as good of one. But there is definitely going to be one and they've deat with this issue often. If for some reason (such as a fear of new people) you have an issue talking to a counselor then start with the teacher you feel most comfortable talking to. Going directly to your parents is in general the best solution but in some cases nearly impossible to manage.

There is nothing wrong with seeking counseling and therapy. When a doctor gets sick they should go see another doctor. When a lawyer has legal trouble they should seek another lawyer for council. The closer you are to something the harder it is to be objective. If help is available go ahead and look into it.

I can understand a complete inability to talk to family though, so remember that there are plenty of alternate first steps that might be easier for you. And we're here for you.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-03-2011, 02:56 AM
I had a lot of anxiety when I was younger. For me it is a chemical unbalance and some baggage from earlier in my life. I am seeing a professional and have a medication. I don't need to see the professional anymore, but it still helps, so I still do. Now I am helping my girlfriend with her anxiety problems. Yes it is common. Yes you are best to get help. And worry is a painful waste of time and energy and freedom from it is like getting out of jail.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
01-03-2011, 03:43 AM
Not wanting to tell others about your issues is a side effect, at least in my experience. For a long time the thought of telling my parents I was having issues made me even more anxious. It wasn't until I met the woman I will marry that I felt comfortable enough to tell somebody and get help. I realized that not only was I bringing myself down but I now had a family as well.

So from my experience you need to talk about them. Its hard. Really hard. Admitting that there is an issue is a very tough thing to get through. But like it has been previously stated you have a great group of people here and I am sure we all would be willing to help you along, even if it means a quick private message. You will get through it. We will help.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2011, 05:55 AM

Thanks everyone. I am planning on talking to my school counselor soon. After that I plan to talk to my parents. Thank you for all the advice :)
05-03-2011, 09:57 PM

I hope this goes well! If your mom has anxiety problems I think it'd be a great idea to tell her about your own. I deal with anxiety problems a lot, they tend to "variate" in time but in the end it's all linked to anxiety. I'm also a little hypochondriac sometimes but a couple years ago it came to the point where I was scared of eating anything because I think I'd be allergic and die. One day I was so scared, I had eaten peanuts and felt like I couldn't breathe. However as an hypochondriac I knew the symptoms so I knew I was really ok, but I was so desperate. I had never talked to anyone about my problems but that night I just couldn't keep it to myself anymore and went crying to my mom because I was so scared. Turns out she had gone through the same many times - her advice helped me relax, I started therapy, knew what I was facing it and now I think I've got it pretty much under control.

Overcoming anxiety issues is all about self control, in my opinion. But you have to be brave enough to talk to people about your problems, specially someone like your mom - I'm sure she'll have plenty of advice for you, or at least she'll know what you've been through, understand you & help you.

Good luck! Hope to hear everything is going well soon Smile
27-06-2011, 10:04 AM
I realized I had some problems too, I've been trying to reinvent myself for the past couple years and then I came to the conclusion that the only thing holding me back was my pain and anger that I couldn't let go of. So I started talking to my Councillor at school and through him got in touch with a few people at the local mental health center.
Some people will call you crazy when they see you walking into a mental health clinic, that's a given, but if you're serious about changing/seeking help than you'll come out better than them.

One thing I've learned from personal experience, see a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. Psychologists will help you, psychiatrists will put you on prozac and kick you out the door.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"