Anxiety Disorders?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2011, 11:57 AM
RE: Anxiety Disorders?
(28-02-2011 07:11 PM)NewScotlandBlues Wrote:  I've mentioned in several threads that I have problems with anxiety. Recently I've been reading a lot about anxiety disorders and I saw that I have a lot of the symptoms. Worrying excessively about many things like school, my health, the health of my loved ones and the future; less sleep, low self confidence, loss of concentration.
But what worries me the most is telling my parents, I've always had problems talking about my worries and feelings because I fear that someone will judge me or think that I'm weak. Even though my parents have told me that I can tell them anything, I always get these thoughts telling me that people will laugh in my face.
I also constantly get into these vicious cycles where I get anxious, then get anxious about being anxious and so on and so forth.
I also get very anxious when it comes to what people think about me (its kinda stupid, I know) where I'm worrying if people think I'm weird or annoying all the time.
So has anyone here had (or has) an anxiety disorder?Can you give me any tips about how to go about dealing with it.

If it has anything to do with it, my mum has mild OCD and anxiety problems.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your problems and I sympathize. I also struggle with anxiety, although things are better than they used to be. Most of my anxiety problems come from my upbringing in an abusive family, when as a kid you never feel safe at home, with the people who are supposed to keep you safe, I assure you something bad happens to your mind sooner or later. I used to suffer terrible panic attacks as a child, and I developed many psychosomatic health issues due to anxiety. I couldn't tell my parents any of my problems because they'd either make fun of me, or tell other people to have a good laugh at my expenses, often in front of me (imagine a group of adults and your parents saying something like "Oh boy you will never believe what Sy said today... isn't that precious? Ahahaha!!!) or they'd use it against me.
My first step to get better was, quite obviously, to leave home as soon as I could, and to gain control of as many aspects of my life as possible. Feeling empowered about your life does help with anxiety I think. I still have tons of trouble sharing my anxieties with anybody for the same reasons you give, that they'll laugh at me, or think less of me, or take advantage and use my weakness against me. I don't know how to overcome this, when negative feelings stay bottled up, they eat you up from the inside, and the results aren't pretty.
I wish you all the best!

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2011, 09:20 PM

I dont have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and I dont want to be one of those people that just claims to have something. I do stress out and over worry about stupid things all the time. And of course that leads to worrying over bigger things. The way I deal with it, I know is unhealthy. I stay up late. I just try to kill my bodies ability to care until its not longer anxious. That and some Pu-erh tea.

Like Lilith said, if you dont feel you can talk to your parents, there are people here who are happy to listen. I come here when I get anxious. It helps me remember that I'm not the only person in the world who thinks the way I do.

Good luck with the school counselor though!
Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi Newscotlandblues and anyone interested, I am Mark, I am an Australian doctor of medicine, and I have a particular interest in helping people with anxiety and depression. I have been doing so for over 20 years and have treated over a thousand patients with anxiety. I have an holistic approach. I use supplements, natural medicines, drugs, psychotherapy and lifestyle modification with great success. I would be very happy to share general advice with anyone interested.

Some of the general advice I give can make a magic difference, so someone give me a push and I will share.

Regards, Mark
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2011, 11:00 AM
(30-08-2011 04:51 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi Newscotlandblues and anyone interested, I am Mark, I am an Australian doctor of medicine, and I have a particular interest in helping people with anxiety and depression. I have been doing so for over 20 years and have treated over a thousand patients with anxiety. I have an holistic approach. I use supplements, natural medicines, drugs, psychotherapy and lifestyle modification with great success. I would be very happy to share general advice with anyone interested.

Some of the general advice I give can make a magic difference, so someone give me a push and I will share.

Regards, Mark

Yes my question is this: some people seem to have a natural tendency to be anxious in a way that is disproportionate to the situation and I can see how these people can be helped. But how do you help people who suffer severe anxiety because they are in really bad situations, situations that they can't necessarily get out of? Like people who take care of loved ones with physical or mental illnesses, abusive situations, etc?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
31-08-2011, 05:28 PM
(30-08-2011 11:00 AM)sy2502 Wrote:  
(30-08-2011 04:51 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi Newscotlandblues and anyone interested, I am Mark, I am an Australian doctor of medicine, and I have a particular interest in helping people with anxiety and depression. I have been doing so for over 20 years and have treated over a thousand patients with anxiety. I have an holistic approach. I use supplements, natural medicines, drugs, psychotherapy and lifestyle modification with great success. I would be very happy to share general advice with anyone interested.

Regards, Mark

Yes my question is this: some people seem to have a natural tendency to be anxious in a way that is disproportionate to the situation and I can see how these people can be helped. But how do you help people who suffer severe anxiety because they are in really bad situations, situations that they can't necessarily get out of? Like people who take care of loved ones with physical or mental illnesses, abusive situations, etc?

Re "But how do you help people who suffer severe anxiety because they are in really bad situations, situations that they can't necessarily get out of?"

Ok...very good question. A good answer would fill a book.

Firstly, realise that the treatment of anxiety is both biochemical and psychological ( ie using psychotherapy). In my opinion ALL anxious patients will benefit from the following biochemical changes....
-magnesium powder, 1 big TSPF in water every night
-zinc supplementation...either solution or tablets
-big doses of omega 3's
-sunlight on the skin...without getting burnt/red...it increases vitamin D
-no more than 2 caffeines (ie coke,coffee, tea per day)
-minimise alcohol intake

The above is a very good start. Have faith in it, which means be compliant and patient.

The psychotherapy is hard to generalise about (sorry). I can tell you that do not ignore the biochemistry. Very often solutions become apparent when the biochemistry is corrected
31-08-2011, 10:54 PM
My husband and I also suffer from anxiety issues. If it makes you feel any better, it tends to get better as you grow up, I think being a teenager with all those hormones really don't help the situation too much.

One thing that I find helps people is leave a camera on, or a tape recorder on...and have it playing when you have an anxiety attack. Then you can actually watch your own anxiety attack and look for triggers or words you might say during an anxiety attack.

When you realize what sets you off, and what things you do during an anxiety attack, you will be able to recognize you are having one...kinda like lucid dreaming, you will be able to take control of your anxiety attack and slowly get it to stop.

I also suggest taking up meditation or something that uses breathing control, like tai chi or yoga. Deep breathing and rhythmic, slow, and repetitive exercises can also help calm one down during an anxiety attack.

As for anxiety management I suggest keeping a schedule and plan, and sticking to it. Keeping your mind busy is very helpful.

As Mark suggested, exercise and eat a healthy diet, avoid sugary or caffeinated foods, as these can make you hyper and set up an anxiety attack.

Also, creating relationships with people that involve mutual trust and respect can also be very helpful. Especially those who also suffer/suffered from anxiety attacks, a mental therapist might offer group sessions. If that's not the case, do meet new people and make friends, it really does help.

Lastly, I suggest taking up a fine art, like painting, music, sculpture. I've noticed most people who suffer from anxiety tend to also be introspective and creative, art can be a healthy outlet for all of this energy.

Good luck with your anxiety problems.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
16-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey Newscotlandblues, how are you travelling?
16-09-2011, 10:55 PM
(28-02-2011 07:11 PM)NewScotlandBlues Wrote:  I've mentioned in several threads that I have problems with anxiety. Recently I've been reading a lot about anxiety disorders and I saw that I have a lot of the symptoms. Worrying excessively about many things like school, my health, the health of my loved ones and the future; less sleep, low self confidence, loss of concentration.
But what worries me the most is telling my parents, I've always had problems talking about my worries and feelings because I fear that someone will judge me or think that I'm weak. Even though my parents have told me that I can tell them anything, I always get these thoughts telling me that people will laugh in my face.
I also constantly get into these vicious cycles where I get anxious, then get anxious about being anxious and so on and so forth.
I also get very anxious when it comes to what people think about me (its kinda stupid, I know) where I'm worrying if people think I'm weird or annoying all the time.
So has anyone here had (or has) an anxiety disorder?Can you give me any tips about how to go about dealing with it.

If it has anything to do with it, my mum has mild OCD and anxiety problems.

One thing I've always learned about the human body, is that the food you eat can screw up your body/mind. Your digestive system produces serotonin which your brain uses to keep things in check. Certain food combinations prohibit this and give you a feeling of anxiety. That's why shitty foods in most stores have so many chemicals in them your body never feels 'right.

Go to Walmart and buy L-Lysine supplements, take 1000mg a day and you'll begin to feel better.