Anxiety Meds

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Anxiety Meds
So as of today I am on Sertraline for my depression and anxiety.
What the doctor failed to tell me is how it feels in the beginning so I thought that it was having a bad reaction with something else I took (a very strong pain medication).
So then I read the leaflet of the Sertraline which stated that you should not have strong pain meds with this because it interacts badly. So I thought that is why I was feeling shit all day.
I started shaking a bit, feeling stomach sick, and getting very confused, forgetting words, etc.
So a friend of mine, who has been on and off these meds for a lot time explained to me that this is normal for the first two weeks. He gave me some peace of mind. I just wonder why the doctor did not tell me this because I do want to be informed about what will happen to me so I don't worry.

btw my doctor is actually really kind and well meaning, maybe he just forgot but still...

Lord Dark Helmet
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Leerob's post
05-01-2018, 05:22 PM
RE: Anxiety Meds
Good reminder to be self-informed. The net is a blessing for that. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2018, 06:06 PM
(05-01-2018 05:22 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Good reminder to be self-informed. The net is a blessing for that. Thumbsup
Yea well that is where I read up on stuff then PLUS the friend.
Still I think a doctor should warn his patient about stuff like that - especially when the patient has never taken that type of drug before.

Lord Dark Helmet
05-01-2018, 06:18 PM
For anxiety I've got paroxetine, for depression, Gwynnies. Second is not FDA approved. :/

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
05-01-2018, 06:36 PM
I take Sertraline too. It sucked for a while because I had absolutely no appetite, even sfter not eating all day long. I also experienced these weird sensations that I can only describe as brain zaps.

But, it went away after a few weeks and I can power through my anxiety much easier. Good luck to you!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
07-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Wow my body is just reacting in the weirdest ways right now. I hope all these things go away soonish. Today I had to go and lay down and nap AT WORK for a bit because I could not stay awake any longer. Never happened before, no matter how tired.

Lord Dark Helmet
07-01-2018, 12:55 PM
(05-01-2018 05:01 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So as of today I am on Sertraline for my depression and anxiety.
What the doctor failed to tell me is how it feels in the beginning so I thought that it was having a bad reaction with something else I took (a very strong pain medication).
So then I read the leaflet of the Sertraline which stated that you should not have strong pain meds with this because it interacts badly. So I thought that is why I was feeling shit all day.
I started shaking a bit, feeling stomach sick, and getting very confused, forgetting words, etc.
So a friend of mine, who has been on and off these meds for a lot time explained to me that this is normal for the first two weeks. He gave me some peace of mind. I just wonder why the doctor did not tell me this because I do want to be informed about what will happen to me so I don't worry.

btw my doctor is actually really kind and well meaning, maybe he just forgot but still...

May have not said anything for a reason. Suggesting a possible reaction can induce one in suggestible people. If they, in general, say "With new meds , get help if you think you're having a reaction", and the pharmacist should have told you that. All sorts of people are allergic to all sorts of different stuff.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-01-2018, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry Robert I was stuck on stertraline over twenty five years ago and I stuck it less than a week the nausea was appalling and worse than the illness itself, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg quetiapine 300mg and pregabalin for anxiety 600mg, The pregabalin is wonderful for anxiety I would be dead without it, and no nasty side effects or addiction potential. Please please feel free to PM me if you need to talk and I really mean it, I can't pretend to fully understand transgender issues because I'm not you, but I understand meds and am sympathetic to trans folk and to be honest you would also be helping me too. Regards Adey
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
07-01-2018, 02:11 PM
(07-01-2018 12:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  May have not said anything for a reason. Suggesting a possible reaction can induce one in suggestible people. If they, in general, say "With new meds , get help if you think you're having a reaction", and the pharmacist should have told you that. All sorts of people are allergic to all sorts of different stuff.
Well he didn't have to tell me what exactly. But he could have told me that usually there are some reactions, etc. All he did was "call me if you have a question" but that was geared towards everything we talked about because I had a list of stuff.

(07-01-2018 01:33 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm sorry Robert I was stuck on stertraline over twenty five years ago and I stuck it less than a week the nausea was appalling and worse than the illness itself, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg quetiapine 300mg and pregabalin for anxiety 600mg, The pregabalin is wonderful for anxiety I would be dead without it, and no nasty side effects or addiction potential. Please please feel free to PM me if you need to talk and I really mean it, I can't pretend to fully understand transgender issues because I'm not you, but I understand meds and am sympathetic to trans folk and to be honest you would also be helping me too. Regards Adey
Wow how did you get stuck on it? I will just see if it helps or not. If it doesn't help, I will stop taking it. Sorry to hear you have to take so much medication, but I am glad that you are still alive there.
Yea about the addiction potential that is something that actually worries me with the sertraline because in the leaflet it says to not stop taking it unless under supervision of a doctor who will basically wean you off. It talks about withdrawal symptoms and then lists the worst, kinda like getting of really hard drugs. So that is actually scary because I guess right now I am making my brain addicted to a substance.
Also thanks for the offer. My anxiety is not mainly about trans things. I have been depressed and dealt with anxiety for the past 24 years - for different reasons. But only now I decided to try medication to see if it helps as I have been up to almost daily panic attacks. So yea whatever helps I guess.

Lord Dark Helmet
07-01-2018, 02:18 PM
(07-01-2018 02:11 PM)Leerob Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 12:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  May have not said anything for a reason. Suggesting a possible reaction can induce one in suggestible people. If they, in general, say "With new meds , get help if you think you're having a reaction", and the pharmacist should have told you that. All sorts of people are allergic to all sorts of different stuff.
Well he didn't have to tell me what exactly. But he could have told me that usually there are some reactions, etc. All he did was "call me if you have a question" but that was geared towards everything we talked about because I had a list of stuff.

(07-01-2018 01:33 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm sorry Robert I was stuck on stertraline over twenty five years ago and I stuck it less than a week the nausea was appalling and worse than the illness itself, I'm now on mirtazapine 30mg quetiapine 300mg and pregabalin for anxiety 600mg, The pregabalin is wonderful for anxiety I would be dead without it, and no nasty side effects or addiction potential. Please please feel free to PM me if you need to talk and I really mean it, I can't pretend to fully understand transgender issues because I'm not you, but I understand meds and am sympathetic to trans folk and to be honest you would also be helping me too. Regards Adey
Wow how did you get stuck on it? I will just see if it helps or not. If it doesn't help, I will stop taking it. Sorry to hear you have to take so much medication, but I am glad that you are still alive there.
Yea about the addiction potential that is something that actually worries me with the sertraline because in the leaflet it says to not stop taking it unless under supervision of a doctor who will basically wean you off. It talks about withdrawal symptoms and then lists the worst, kinda like getting of really hard drugs. So that is actually scary because I guess right now I am making my brain addicted to a substance.
Also thanks for the offer. My anxiety is not mainly about trans things. I have been depressed and dealt with anxiety for the past 24 years - for different reasons. But only now I decided to try medication to see if it helps as I have been up to almost daily panic attacks. So yea whatever helps I guess.

When I say stuck on I mean my doctor put me on the drug, I guess stuck on means something something different in America like maybe addicted to something, I wasn't on it long enough to get dependant , you take care and and I wish you all the best with your medication regime, I really hope it helps you. Smile