Anxiety Meds (Need Advice)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Anxiety Meds (Need Advice)
Miso can do a lot of things when it comes to needles and his body. Tattoos are fine. Piercings are even fun. But one thing Miso simply cannot do is get blood taken. I freak out. There's just something about needles and veins and blood being drained that makes my hands clammy and makes me light-headed just typing this.

I got some bloodwork done today, and just like last time, I passed out. This time it wasn't the actual procedure (I did ok at the time), but reflecting on it while waiting for the results afterward. Heightened anxiety, feeling hot and tingly all over, rapid onset of nausea, tunnel vision and then a bunch of nurses hovering over me and telling me to stay laying down. (I don't even remember hitting the floor) It's funny as hell, I'll admit, but at the time it really, really sucks. And no matter what I do, I can't get over it. I just can't do bloodwork. Unfortunately, the results yielded some very unfavorable news and it seems the next few weeks are going to be full of needles and tests. I am not pleased.

I asked one of the nurses what I could do about this horrific feeling every time bloodwork needs to be done, and the only real suggestions she had were the usual "we can have someone talk to you/hold your hand" and "try drinking some chamomile tea." People talking to me doesn't help. It's not that I'm scared of anything, it's the procedure itself that irks me the fuck out. I can't handle it. You could hire Olivia Wilde to give me a lapdance and I'd still pass out. So, I asked her about medication, and she said "I wouldn't recommend taking anything." (Maybe because she's just a nurse; I don't know)

I'm gonna have a talk with my doctor when I see her again in a few days, but I figured I'd consult you fine folks as well. Maybe you can give me the names of some good meds to bring up with her? Something to calm me down and stop me from flipping a shit?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2015, 09:26 PM
RE: Anxiety Meds (Need Advice)
I take Xanax sometimes for panic attacks. It works nice.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Ask for a fast acting short-term beta blocker. I've used Propranolol for speeches and it works great.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
09-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Sounds like you're hyperventilating until you pass out.
Sometimes this can easily be controlled by monitoring your respiration rate and keeping it slow and steady, or breathing deeply into a paper bag.
09-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Don't laugh. Biofeedback actually worked for my son. They would purposely trigger his anxiety and he could see it on a screen.

Then he learned how to calm himself down.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Have them put a stud in, after they're done drawing blood.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-02-2015, 07:26 PM
(10-02-2015 05:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Have them put a stud in, after they're done drawing blood.

I think we have a winner. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
10-02-2015, 07:43 PM
You aren't alone in the fear of having blood drawn. My son passed out the first time at about age ten. He is almost 28 and still can't even stand anyone talking about having blood drawn. He can't stand someone taking his pulse or BP but seems to be able to at least stay conscious. And, yeah, he also has ink.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-02-2015, 10:52 PM
When I worked ED I just made sure the person was laying down if they're really afraid of needles. If ya pass out, oh well, at least you won't be tense and you're already lying down. No biggie. I've used a topical anesthetic on my non critical pediatric and mentally retarded patients - but I personally don't think it helps much. Tried it on a super anxious pt once - wasted my time - she still flipped the fuck out. "If" the stick is going to be more than uncomfortable, freeze spray ain't gonna take care of the nerves beneath the skin - it really just serves as a distraction. Lol - I loved getting that shit out and spraying my coworkers. My really anxious patients I make look away, several deep breaths, ok take a deep breath in, and on the exhale a quick 123 stick. And I cheat and stick on the 3. Angel

I always talk to my conscious patients (almost EVERYONE is anxious to some degree - I can't stand to be a patient, makes me nervous as fuck) as a distraction while I'm getting my supplies ready and don't tell them what I'm doing until I'm about to apply the tourniquet. Less time for the patient to think about it and get anxious, the better. Some like to watch, others don't. Some prefer a count, others don't. I personally prefer to count a quick 123 with everyone - the person is less likely to jump. I have a general idea of where I'm sticking prior to the tourniquet - I tend to scope out veins in the first 15 seconds. Then a quick "alright I need to draw some labs, may I see your right/left arm?" or "I've got to start an IV, do you have any preferences for where?" Those words tend to be less alarming than "needle" or "blood."

In my career I've been puked on once and hit twice - not cool. Almost stuck myself with a dirty needle once because of flailing - very not cool. I can get blood out of a turnip - I'm a damn good stick. It's my favorite part of my job. It's extremely rare for a person to complain to me. Smile

I personally hate shots - I don't mind having my blood drawn, but shots actually fucking hurt sometimes. Cefazolin in the ass hurts like a bitch. I have to take deep breaths and look away and concentrate on a random object in my surroundings, I'll think about how it's a weird color or where it was manufactured or maybe I'll get Mexican for lunch...

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
12-02-2015, 01:35 PM
(10-02-2015 10:52 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I always talk to my conscious patients (almost EVERYONE is anxious to some degree - I can't stand to be a patient, makes me nervous as fuck) as a distraction while I'm getting my supplies ready and don't tell them what I'm doing until I'm about to apply the tourniquet.

That's what I did when she was taking the blood. She had an intern with her and I decided to chat it up with her. I did ok; it was just when I got to the waiting room that it hit me.

It's my fault, really; I let my mind go and didn't get control of it again. It was because, as I was putting my hoodie back on, I felt the sleeve yank at the gauze taped to my arm. No big deal, but in my mind, I couldn't stop the thought of "Oh god, what if I just yanked the hole open and now I'm bleeding down my arm and don't even know it?!" I tried to talk myself out of it (even took off my jacket and actually looked a couple of times), but as I sat there trying not to dwell on it, the thought just sent my head spinning. That's when I descended into the blackness.

I can't help but laugh at myself. Laughat Still, though, not fun. No