Anxiety Meds

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2018, 06:07 PM
RE: Anxiety Meds
Oh ok. Maybe I just misunderstood. My brain is really slow. Like normally I think very fast but today and yesterday my brain was really slow, or still is ... No clue. I feel a bit more chill than usually but I did have two panic attacks today so I think it is just my brain being slow and not really the meds kicking in.
Is this normal?

Lord Dark Helmet
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2018, 06:26 PM
(07-01-2018 06:07 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Oh ok. Maybe I just misunderstood. My brain is really slow. Like normally I think very fast but today and yesterday my brain was really slow, or still is ... No clue. I feel a bit more chill than usually but I did have two panic attacks today so I think it is just my brain being slow and not really the meds kicking in.
Is this normal?

Yes bro, I think its fairly normal this early into treatment as your body adjusts, keep an eye on panic attacks if they increase above average check with your doctor, eat regular to avoid nausea, be careful with driving for a while, if depression gets worse, again check with your doctor. Basically check with the doctor if anything feels unusual or abnormal, take no chances. Avoid alcohol too.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
08-01-2018, 04:02 AM
(05-01-2018 05:01 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So as of today I am on Sertraline for my depression and anxiety.
What the doctor failed to tell me is how it feels in the beginning so I thought that it was having a bad reaction with something else I took (a very strong pain medication).
So then I read the leaflet of the Sertraline which stated that you should not have strong pain meds with this because it interacts badly. So I thought that is why I was feeling shit all day.
I started shaking a bit, feeling stomach sick, and getting very confused, forgetting words, etc.
So a friend of mine, who has been on and off these meds for a lot time explained to me that this is normal for the first two weeks. He gave me some peace of mind. I just wonder why the doctor did not tell me this because I do want to be informed about what will happen to me so I don't worry.

btw my doctor is actually really kind and well meaning, maybe he just forgot but still...
Hey Leerob! I'm on Sertraline as well, [just restarted them for the 3rd or 4th time, in a few years, this weekend], and yeah, there is a laundry list of "this could cause..." type deals in there. Doctors sometimes glaze over certain things as you probably would be expected the read the stuff that comes with the pills (I did that to learn whats in it/what I should expect etc), but I've been told by some doctors about it.

Short answer is, it takes a while to get into your system and it should calm down a bit after a few weeks. It can take 2-4 weeks to fully get in your system as well. If you feel like it's not going well, or you feel worse, speak to your doctor as sometimes it can cause other issues as a side effect.

I think in the long run the "worst" thing you can look forward to is: Tiredness/Dry mouth and sometimes an "ache" in your jaw, but that's about the worst of it really. Coming off it is a different story, as it's highly addictive, so going cold turkey is very bad for you as you have to wean off it. Plus you get some real bad headaches during that time as well.

I've been on it for about 4 years altogether now...so feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions Smile

God never finds you at a good time. You’re never sittin’ courtside at a Knicks game gettin’ a hand job from Halle Berry, God shows up. “Ah, she strokes a good dick, don’t she? I made her! I made your dick, too. Enjoy the game!” - Chris Rock
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
08-01-2018, 04:14 AM
wow guys so nice of you to chime in with pertinent info.
08-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Thank you for all the info. OakTree I might take you up on the offer at some point.
Currently the side effects that I am having are tiredness but also I have more energy so if I sit too long, my foot will have to wiggle. My stomach is a bit nauseaus once or twice a day. I also had a stomach ache today that came from nothing so I think it was the meds too. Also my brain is slower. I do get stuff done but it just takes me a moment. That is what annoys me most because I am used to my brain being much faster. I was really forgetful on the first day and a bit yesterday still, today it was already much better.
But a few small good things are starting to happen. Nothing too big. But there is a coworker that usually gives me a lot of anxiety and today I was able to talk to that person without a problem, not even a raised pulse. And also I was able to today to focus for hours! I cannot remember ever being able to do that. I could never concentrate for more than 20 minutes and today I was so productive at work.
So I will just keep trying.

Lord Dark Helmet
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
08-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Sounds like the upsides are there for you.
08-01-2018, 04:13 PM
(08-01-2018 02:41 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Thank you for all the info. OakTree I might take you up on the offer at some point.
Currently the side effects that I am having are tiredness but also I have more energy so if I sit too long, my foot will have to wiggle. My stomach is a bit nauseaus once or twice a day. I also had a stomach ache today that came from nothing so I think it was the meds too. Also my brain is slower. I do get stuff done but it just takes me a moment. That is what annoys me most because I am used to my brain being much faster. I was really forgetful on the first day and a bit yesterday still, today it was already much better.
But a few small good things are starting to happen. Nothing too big. But there is a coworker that usually gives me a lot of anxiety and today I was able to talk to that person without a problem, not even a raised pulse. And also I was able to today to focus for hours! I cannot remember ever being able to do that. I could never concentrate for more than 20 minutes and today I was so productive at work.

Don't forget though we are random dudes on the internet regardless of qualification or experience so always differ to your doctor if in any doubt.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
08-01-2018, 08:41 PM
(08-01-2018 02:41 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Thank you for all the info.....

I guess you already know that you need a "washout" period of 14 days after taking any MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) before starting Sertraline (Zoloft in Australia) or any other SSRI. Although I'm assuming you weren't on any MAOIs. I was unsuccessfully trialling Zoloft at 50md x1 per day a few years back, but luckily with zero side-effects.
St. John's Wort is also another definite no-go with SSRIs, as is the painkiller Tramadol.

With side-effects like you're getting, I think a call to your pdoc is a priority Rob. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
09-01-2018, 03:48 AM
(08-01-2018 04:13 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Don't forget though we are random dudes on the internet regardless of qualification or experience so always differ to your doctor if in any doubt.
Yep, always remember this point. At any time you feel bad/need real medical advice, see your doctor!

(08-01-2018 02:41 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Thank you for all the info. OakTree I might take you up on the offer at some point.

In terms of what's going on, it all sounds fairly normal. You have an initial period of feeling a bit queasy, but it wears off soon enough. As for your brain being "slower", I personally found it was a combination of being tired from the meds and being on a bit of a "come down" from feeling so anxious all the time, so you end up having like a crash period. Once you get some sleep down you, and it'll take some time, you'll soon get back up to speed.

And yep, you end up feeling like you have all the energy in the world AND no energy at all, which is weird at first, but again you get used to it. Concentration if a big thing for me, when I'm on the med's I find I'm very focused and can easily concentrate on something, where-as when I'm not on them, it can be difficult to do that. Only problem is sometimes I don't blink for about 30 mins Laugh out load

Hope all is well, and you should soon see the slow/gradual change as it gets in your system. Any issues or if you feel worse at all, get straight down to your doctor to get it checked out Smile

God never finds you at a good time. You’re never sittin’ courtside at a Knicks game gettin’ a hand job from Halle Berry, God shows up. “Ah, she strokes a good dick, don’t she? I made her! I made your dick, too. Enjoy the game!” - Chris Rock
09-01-2018, 03:56 PM
SYZ you are right. I have not been on any medication of this type so far. It seems that my body does a new thing every day. Today I was a bit hyper active and a little less able to focus (though still more than usually).
I have decided to take Thursday off so I get a long weekend. (My shift is usually Sunday to Thursday with Fri&Sat off)
Just so I can focus on myself a little. Also thought of taking a walk and doing a little vlog outside for a change. Especially as right now I don't have the privacy I need at home to do it. Not that my ex would interrupt me or anything, but I am just very self-conscious when I do take after take after take to get it right.

Lord Dark Helmet
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post