Anxiety about coming out...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Anxiety about coming out...
So, I finally came out as gay to my relatives. The responses were like "we love you but not the sin" stuff. One even "dared" me to go on a fast for 30 days, asking God for help. I didn't want to tell her that I wasn't a Christian anymore and I suckered into "giving God another chance". Apparently the 10+ years of praying and begging for god's help before wasn't enough for him, he needed 30 more days. I don't even know if I'm actually gonna go through with this fast.

But I feel so relieved and I'm glad to at least know where everybody stands on the ("non-" really) issue.

But now, I can't help thinking that maybe I put too much hope in my family accepting me for my homosexuality. I don't even want to think about how they will react regarding my atheism. I'm sort of freaking out internally right now... Unsure
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2015, 07:06 PM
RE: Anxiety about coming out...
Unfortunately it's not up to you. They'll either accept you or they won't. It sounds like they at least aren't rejecting you outright, so that's a positive sign. Just make sure that they understand that you're the same person they've always known and loved, they just know you a little better now. Hopefully they can love you just the same....or even more.

Here's hoping for the best, hang in there. Hug

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
03-04-2015, 08:47 PM
^^^^ nailed it.

hang in there. things might get bumpy during the adjustment period but usually calm down afterwards. Like with most other things, some people easily accept change and go with the flow, and some people never stop kicking and screaming about little things that change.

not much you can do except be you. Smile

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
03-04-2015, 09:38 PM
thanks guys! i really appreciate the responses.