Anxious times - without god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Anxious times - without god
Well, now we're there. Some may remember that I wrote about my (christian-converted) partner who is due for a difficult surgery. It's scheduled for tomorrow, I just left him at the hospital. If I was religious I'd ask for prayers for him by now, but I won't. Smile

We've had some surprisingly good conversations lately, and I am starting to understand how he is thinking and why. Regarding god etc. I mean. Not at all my way of thinking, though, but I can see things clearer now - and not as black and white as I did. It may just be that our love can survive this kind of stress and change.

If there is something to pray about, then I'll pray that the surgeons have slept well and are experienced with such complicated operations, and that all scary germs will stay away, and that everything else goes smooth. And after surgery comes months of rehab. *already exhausted sigh*

Another interesting observation - people from his church are writing on his FB-wall, and none has so far written "I'll pray for you", instead they write "you are in my thoughts" etc. I find that nice, but a little puzzling.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
RE: Anxious times - without god
There is nothing religious in hoping everything will turn out well, neither is there something wrong in having faith that the surgeon is a skilled person.

These words have been religiously hijacked for long enough now.

May good fortune be on your side!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-07-2011, 03:21 PM
May one ask how it turned out?
In any case, if it helps to vent, or share, or scream, or ask about similar experience, or anything, please do.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
15-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Oh well. It has been postponed three days in a row. He was admitted tuesday, prepared for surgery wednesday, thursday and today he even got an intravenous line in, but no. Postponed again until monday. Since it's summer, they close down surgical departments and elective surgeries have to wait when more acute cases arrive. It's really a stressful situation, but there's nothing we can do about it other than keep on waiting and preparing. He's at home now, so we're spending the weekend resting. He is in severe pain, and the last two months he's hardly been able to move around on his own, so I really hope they get the surgery done very soon. Thanks for asking by the way! Smile

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
16-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh that really is trying! I'm sorry you have to go through all this extra suspense, when the surgery itself would have been hard enough. Love helps... I hope it ends both soon and well.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
16-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for your wishes! Yes, love helps. It's so true! Considering all we've been through the last year, if we as a couple can survive all this, we can survive anything.

16-07-2011, 03:03 PM
What a nightmare! Sad

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
18-07-2011, 12:01 AM
They have finally wheeled him in for surgery. I went home, it's simply too stressful to stay at the hospital wandering the halls. Now I just have to remember to breathe.

18-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm so relieved, just talked to him on the phone. Surgery went well. Smile Smile Off to see him now.

18-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Looks like luck and the knowledge of science was on your side after all! This soulless atheist wishes him a speedy recovery. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist