Anxious times - without god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2011, 12:03 PM
RE: Anxious times - without god
Haha, thanks! Smile Luckily he also trusts science and doesn't rely on god to intervene. It was really good to see him, even though he is in pain and is very tired. It was very complicated, but they fixed it. Hooray. But now comes months of rehab, so we've just started the journey really. Now I really need some sleep. Thank you so much everyone for support! It is really appreciated.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2011, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2011 08:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-07-2011 12:03 PM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  It was very complicated, but they fixed it. Hooray.

My prayers to the surgeons were answered! Praise the surgeons! All hail the surgeons! ... seriously, I hope and wish things continue to go well with a full and speedy recovery. FSM willing. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
19-07-2011, 06:57 AM
So far, so good. Now, you have an adventure to face together - and, trust me, a long, challenging recovery from illness is all the adventure anybody needs. But there is nothing like it to bring a couple as close as they can possibly be.
The difference in belief systems is small potatoes in comparison to walking, eating, showering, and all those things healthy people take for granted. The difference in belief systems can be reconciled with mutual respect.
As they say in Voyageur, "To the journey!" *clink*

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
19-07-2011, 08:26 AM
GirlyMan, FSM has proved willing so far! Big Grin

Peterkin, you are so right. We're used to taking care of each other, due to both of us having our different health issues. We've never taken good health for granted, and that does something (in a positive way) to us as a couple. Our friends have always laughed a bit about us for being so symbiotic, but it comes natural to us. That's why it felt so terrible when we suddenly was struck with such a mental distance when he had his "epiphany". But it really feels better now. Respect, love and calm and curious conversation (which hasn't been easy for a while...) is helping.

Today we got some worrying news though. During surgery, a piece of bone broke off, and the surgeon said that there was "something very structurally wrong with the bone tissue", so they've sent the piece to the lab for examination. I immediately thought of cancer, but I'll try to remember that I have become a kind of person that always thinks the worst, I don't want to think about this until we know more. I want to think about that he has been out of bed standing today, and that's a milestone to celebrate. One day at a time now, I tell myself. That's my new mantra.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
19-07-2011, 09:48 AM
(19-07-2011 08:26 AM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  I immediately thought of cancer, but I'll try to remember that I have become a kind of person that always thinks the worst,
try to keep an open mind and only draw conclusions once the results are in.

also, keep in mind that 80 to 90% of cancers are curable these days.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
19-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I KNOW I am overreacting. Also keep in mind that I am seriously sleep deprivated and exhausted. Off to bed with me now. *sigh*

19-07-2011, 03:07 PM
(19-07-2011 11:37 AM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  Yeah, I KNOW I am overreacting. Also keep in mind that I am seriously sleep deprivated and exhausted. Off to bed with me now. *sigh*
There...
Give that stressed-out subconscious a rest!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
21-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Things are slowly progressing. Today he's "walked" about 4 meters with a roller-walking-thingy I don't know what is called in english. He got pale and sweaty and almost fell, so he's got a bit of healing to do still. I hope they keep him over the weekend, but the doctors are talking about sending him home tomorrow. They must be mad, I can't carry the man. Oh well. Things will sort themselves out somehow. We've got some news about the piece of bone. It's a form of necrosis due to poor bloodstream and ostheoporeosis. Most likely not cancer. Good!

Spending time in a hospital (when not at work or sick) is a strange experience. Most people are very, very nice, in fact all the nurses are great, but one of his co-patients is a trial. I'm lucky to be able to go home and rest, but the other three poor sick ones are confined in the room with a constantly yelling, rude and very noisy man that only strong drugs are able to silence for short periods of time. The things this man says are just baffling. Never heard such a longlasting tirade about, well everything - god, conspiracy, evil people (everybody), good people (only him), the government, relatives stealing his money, muslims, carpenters, foreigners etc. Fascinating, but tragic.

21-07-2011, 08:33 AM
hospitals are great places to get sick...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
21-07-2011, 10:33 AM
(21-07-2011 08:07 AM)Cubic Bubbles Wrote:  ... with a roller-walking-thingy I don't know what is called in english.

In English, it's called a "roller-walking-thingy". Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.