Any American Patriot Songs that don't involve god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Question Any American Patriot Songs that don't involve god?
I got to wondering the other day, and I was wondering if there are any American patriotic songs that don't have the word "God" in it (before you answer the star spangled banner does mention god in it's second verse, skip to 2:01).

So. Are there any?

"He who wishes to comprehend God with his mind becomes an atheist."
- Count Nikolaus Von Zinzendorf
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2012, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 10:23 AM by ClydeLee.)
RE: Any American Patriot Songs that don't involve god?
The pledge of allegiance? Oh wait... Well initially it was clean.

There is Yankee Doodle, does that count?

The Star Spangled Banner has lyrics with no godly mention at all... Of course I've never heard it with it's lyrics for some mysterious reason, hmm. Here is a version of a barbershop quartet, they do not use the original lyrics but you can look them up and in a lot of areas it's similar or mix and match areas of the song around.

02-03-2012, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 12:42 PM by Peterkin.)
the climax:
"Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

Most people only ever sing the first stanza. God and Peace are only mentioned at the end, in relation to victory - the whole song is about war.

The Marines Hymn is more about them than the nation, but i think this one qualifies as patriotic: http://www.usa-flag-site.org/song-lyrics...ever.shtml

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
02-03-2012, 02:20 PM

No but seriously...

As mentioned, the Pledge of Allegiance was written secular and later raped by religious folks in 1954.

You have to consider who is writing modern day patriot songs; country western stars who cling to nationalism with as much unthinking fervor as they cling to religion. The Tim McGraws and Toby Keiths of the world are pumping out America songs to exploit our vulnerability and capitalize on people's emotions. So they use the keywords "America" and "God" and boom, they become a million dollars richer.

The term "patriotic song" has also become rather monopolized over the years. Anything that is blatantly pro-war and pro-God is instantly wrapped in an American flag and marketed to "true Americans." When the truth is, any song that criticizes America out compassion is more patriotic than any ra-ra flag waving bullsh!t song.

Bob Dylan's The Times They Are a Changin could be seen a good example of this.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."