Any Awkward Experiences With Family About Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Any Awkward Experiences With Family About Religion?
Today I was heading to work, it's like 7 in the morning, I'm starving, so I get my food, sit with my dad in the truck, as the classroom door for my workstudy is locked. And I started to eat and my dad was like.

"You know, it helps to give thanks to God for the food."

I kind of stared I him. Thnking:
1. I went to bed around 10PM and it was early, and I was hungry.
2. God doesn't exist, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need me thanking him so much when he should know I am thankful.
3. This is exactly why I wish to keep away from you when I decide to eat.

Then he said " Does it 'hurt' to say thanks to god?" (This is when it got awkward for me Blink )

I just laughed and said, 'Sorry I just wasn't thinking, too hungry to think."
He 'forgave' me for that preaching about the bible and such as I just muttered 'Thank you God for the food' to make him happy.

But I was thinking of ALOT of things like, 'I might be your daughter, but I am 19, and I can make my own religious choices.'

Anyone has any really awkward/annoying experiences with your family when religions comes up. I'm curious to hear some small stories. Or long which ever. Consider

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
29-05-2017, 02:58 PM
RE: Any Awkward Experiences With Family About Religion?
Oh yeah ...although three of four of my siblings are atheist, conversation with my mother's family gets awkward on the rare occasions when we talk (I'm 50 ...the "atheist cat" has been out of the bag for over 25 years). I'm always respectful, but awkward silences are often plentiful after the platitudes that are "oh, so common" when dealing with two generations worth of preachers' families.

Honestly, it's only as difficult as you let it be most of the time ...while my father was still alive, he tried to get me to lead the prayer once during a family gathering, and that's the closest I can recall that I honestly gave a damn about. He just didn't think I'd embarrass him I guess, but my sister quickly leapt in and lead the prayer after I refused to say a word. If it hadn't been a "public" thing, I'd have probably done something generic and "non-godly" but his motivation was to shame me, and I wasn't biting.

I also remember once when some of his congregation came to me in private to confront me about disappointing him: I asked which part of "honor thy father and mother" included lying about my personal beliefs.

It never happened again.
[+] 2 users Like Grauwyler's post
29-05-2017, 03:57 PM
I have been terribly fortunate in this regard. My parents were astoundingly good at minding their own business. They died without even knowing of my apostasy (they've been gone nearly 20 years now), but the one surviving brother I have who is still active in the faith found out a couple of years ago. He had probably suspected for awhile, as he just point-blank asked me if I didn't believe in god anymore. I said no. He said, "Huh. That's too bad" and changed the subject, never to bring it up again.

If I lived in the same city (I'm about a thousand miles away) I'm sure he'd occasionally invite me to church functions and probably drop the occasional hint but that would be understandable / tolerable to me.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
29-05-2017, 04:43 PM
I did the garden-variety keeping my atheism from my devout, and beloved, grandmother.

I knew it would hurt her and I didn't want to do that -- so it was awkward at times.
29-05-2017, 04:49 PM
No awkward moments here. My family usually asks me questions about religion because I know a heck of a lot more about religion(s) than they do. Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
29-05-2017, 04:54 PM
(29-05-2017 04:49 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  No awkward moments here. My family usually asks me questions about religion because I know a heck of a lot more about religion(s) than they do. Consider

I get that a fair bit from my Christian friends here even ...I'm not a dick about it, but it constantly amazes people that the context they've heard from the pulpit isn't often quite the same as the context for when it was written.
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
29-05-2017, 05:53 PM
(29-05-2017 02:20 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Anyone has any really awkward/annoying experiences with your family when religions comes up. I'm curious to hear some small stories. Or long which ever. Consider

My wife and I eat Easter dinner with her religious family every year, and this year I made a bad joke about "zombie Jesus" which didn't go over too well.

Hobo
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
29-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Rub-a-dub-dub,
Thanks for the grub,
Yay God!

That one's from my grandfather.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
29-05-2017, 06:31 PM
My dad getting drunk and trying to figure out if I'm a christian.....

So.... My life sucks.... I make a lot of mistakes.... I don't go to church..... but you know what I did some thinking and everything I do I do for god. So son what do you think about that?

My response:
"I think.. um Alex through tons of highly complex evolutionary processes just happened to be pushed through the evolutionary process to be my best friend ever and that's an amazing thing."

My dad:
Huh? (Then He stood up and chased me out of the room for being a smart ass, not because I was an Atheist but because he couldn't figure out what the fuck I had just said, he tripped on the stairs and I got away)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
29-05-2017, 06:33 PM
(29-05-2017 04:49 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  No awkward moments here. My family usually asks me questions about religion because I know a heck of a lot more about religion(s) than they do. Consider

My aunt is a former pastors wife used to ask me lots of questions like that cause I knew so much..... until I came out in front of her.... Now she thinks I'm the devil.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin