Any Awkward Experiences With Family About Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 02:51 AM
RE: Any Awkward Experiences With Family About Religion?
On my mothers side: Her and my step dad are religious, [Attend church every sunday, help out behind the scenes there as well, were re-baptised, the whole nine years], and although they are well aware I'm not religious at all it has led to some "uncomfortable" discussions, especially from my otherwise totally awesome step father.

For example: around Halloween, their church doesn't 'allow' regular style celebrations and holds a "light Party" instead. My step father often critises people for dressing up in spooky attire and shouting "come out of the dark and into the light" when they knock on his door...which is awkward as my daughter is 7 and wants to trick/treat.

Another would be when I was going through a really bad patch of depression. My mother was very understanding, yet my step father would say things like "I know you're not religious, but have you tried praying?" or "I'll pray for you", to which I could only say "if it makes YOU feel better, have at it". I've also attended church services with them (normally only for Christmas) which are so full of total garbage, I don't think I have a post long enough to explain to be honest.

On my dad's side: he's not religious at all, but most of his conversations delve into conspiracy theories so I'll skip on that for now lol.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
30-05-2017, 04:19 AM
(30-05-2017 02:51 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  On my mothers side: Her and my step dad are religious, [Attend church every sunday, help out behind the scenes there as well, were re-baptised, the whole nine years], and although they are well aware I'm not religious at all it has led to some "uncomfortable" discussions, especially from my otherwise totally awesome step father.

For example: around Halloween, their church doesn't 'allow' regular style celebrations and holds a "light Party" instead. My step father often critises people for dressing up in spooky attire and shouting "come out of the dark and into the light" when they knock on his door...which is awkward as my daughter is 7 and wants to trick/treat.

Another would be when I was going through a really bad patch of depression. My mother was very understanding, yet my step father would say things like "I know you're not religious, but have you tried praying?" or "I'll pray for you", to which I could only say "if it makes YOU feel better, have at it". I've also attended church services with them (normally only for Christmas) which are so full of total garbage, I don't think I have a post long enough to explain to be honest.

On my dad's side: he's not religious at all, but most of his conversations delve into conspiracy theories so I'll skip on that for now lol.

With religious people, you know what their going to say next.

But with a conspiracy theorist, it's hardly never a dull conversation from what I've noticed. Every time my friend David says something that he knows to be true I can't help but wonder. 'Where do you find this stuff?' Blink

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
30-05-2017, 04:26 AM
(30-05-2017 04:19 AM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 02:51 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  On my mothers side: Her and my step dad are religious, [Attend church every sunday, help out behind the scenes there as well, were re-baptised, the whole nine years], and although they are well aware I'm not religious at all it has led to some "uncomfortable" discussions, especially from my otherwise totally awesome step father.

With religious people, you know what their going to say next.

But with a conspiracy theorist, it's hardly never a dull conversation from what I've noticed. Every time my friend David says something that he knows to be true I can't help but wonder. 'Where do you find this stuff?' Blink

It's strange as my dad isn't a complete nutcase, but does believe some random shit at times. He is 100% on board with fake moon landings and this ancient alien stuff, despite there being no evidence for the latter and the fact you can actually see the moon landing equipment through a good telescope these days.

He had one recently that involves a machine built out of high powered magnets that was essentially is a perpetual motion machine, that was going to power his house.....I dont think he ever built it lol.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
30-05-2017, 06:24 AM
I can't say it's happened as both my parents were open-minded and tolerant enough to realise that when both my brother and I were old enough to question the existence of god, they didn't preach at us. Having said that, being an atheist in the UK is pretty commonplace and doesn't raise any eyebrows at all.

Nevertheless I had to chuckle at a recent church funeral when one of my Mum's contemporaries, who was seated chatting to us before the service began, declared that she was atheist and my Mum asked the dumbest of questions, namely, "What are you doing here (at a church) then?"

I pointed out that she knows I am an atheist and that we were at the service out of respect to the deceased. It was nothing to do with religion.

"Oh, right................I forgot!" she said.

We often have discussions which wander into religion. Her father (my grandfather) was very sceptical of religion and I suppose she acquired that scepticism from him, and as kids she always urged us to question everything. Which made her comment all the more strange.

But then she is 85 and as we all know, our mental faculties do deteriorate with age.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
30-05-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm in my 40s and a closet atheist with my family. So yeah....I have several awkward interactions with my family Smile.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
30-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Not an atheist, but still plenty. Cousin's Minister husband, any time I slip and post Friendly Atheist links in the clear instead of to my No Drama folks, will get in a self righteous tizzy. The last time he was all "This is from Friendly Atheist." "Yes, but that doesn't change the words Pat Robertson is using in the video of him. Going by his own pronouncements failing to pass by the deadline he set, he's a false prophet." "You shouldn't be posting things from this website, it will lead people astray." Sort of crap. I keep wanting to ask, "Why are neither of your daughters Saved yet?" but that would make me an asshole.

(29-05-2017 04:49 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  No awkward moments here. My family usually asks me questions about religion because I know a heck of a lot more about religion(s) than they do. Consider

Laugh out load My mother sometimes calls me with religion questions. She can get exasperated at points too, like she called asking, once, "Did Jesus have siblings? Your father and I disagree." And about three minutes in she was like "yes or no?" because I went into how our modern translations of the Bible say yes, however Catholic doctrine (she's a Methodist) says no, and that the Aramaic for siblings is also sometimes referring to cousins, and...etc. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
30-05-2017, 04:23 PM
(30-05-2017 01:56 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Not an atheist, but still plenty. Cousin's Minister husband, any time I slip and post Friendly Atheist links in the clear instead of to my No Drama folks, will get in a self righteous tizzy. The last time he was all "This is from Friendly Atheist." "Yes, but that doesn't change the words Pat Robertson is using in the video of him. Going by his own pronouncements failing to pass by the deadline he set, he's a false prophet." "You shouldn't be posting things from this website, it will lead people astray." Sort of crap. I keep wanting to ask, "Why are neither of your daughters Saved yet?" but that would make me an asshole.

(29-05-2017 04:49 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  No awkward moments here. My family usually asks me questions about religion because I know a heck of a lot more about religion(s) than they do. Consider

Laugh out load My mother sometimes calls me with religion questions. She can get exasperated at points too, like she called asking, once, "Did Jesus have siblings? Your father and I disagree." And about three minutes in she was like "yes or no?" because I went into how our modern translations of the Bible say yes, however Catholic doctrine (she's a Methodist) says no, and that the Aramaic for siblings is also sometimes referring to cousins, and...etc. Tongue

> Lately, my mother has been asking me questions about different patron saints so she can pray to them for favors. Some of these saints have turned out to be legendary; i.e., stricken from the Church's official lists.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
31-05-2017, 11:02 AM
(29-05-2017 02:20 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Today I was heading to work, it's like 7 in the morning, I'm starving, so I get my food, sit with my dad in the truck, as the classroom door for my workstudy is locked. And I started to eat and my dad was like.

"You know, it helps to give thanks to God for the food."

I kind of stared I him. Thnking:
1. I went to bed around 10PM and it was early, and I was hungry.
2. God doesn't exist, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need me thanking him so much when he should know I am thankful.
3. This is exactly why I wish to keep away from you when I decide to eat.

Then he said " Does it 'hurt' to say thanks to god?" (This is when it got awkward for me Blink )

I just laughed and said, 'Sorry I just wasn't thinking, too hungry to think."
He 'forgave' me for that preaching about the bible and such as I just muttered 'Thank you God for the food' to make him happy.

But I was thinking of ALOT of things like, 'I might be your daughter, but I am 19, and I can make my own religious choices.'

Anyone has any really awkward/annoying experiences with your family when religions comes up. I'm curious to hear some small stories. Or long which ever. Consider

You should have asked him if the person that prepared the food was named God. Otherwise, no, you don't have to thank invisible sky wizard.
31-05-2017, 11:55 AM
(30-05-2017 04:23 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 01:56 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Not an atheist, but still plenty. Cousin's Minister husband, any time I slip and post Friendly Atheist links in the clear instead of to my No Drama folks, will get in a self righteous tizzy. The last time he was all "This is from Friendly Atheist." "Yes, but that doesn't change the words Pat Robertson is using in the video of him. Going by his own pronouncements failing to pass by the deadline he set, he's a false prophet." "You shouldn't be posting things from this website, it will lead people astray." Sort of crap. I keep wanting to ask, "Why are neither of your daughters Saved yet?" but that would make me an asshole.

> Lately, my mother has been asking me questions about different patron saints so she can pray to them for favors. Some of these saints have turned out to be legendary; i.e., stricken from the Church's official lists.

One group I'm in on FB had that issue, "Where did Saint Christopher's feast day go?" sort of deal!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2017, 04:06 AM
Any Awkward Experiences With Family About Religion?
Pretty much everyone knows I'm an atheist. We had one uncle ask to if we could go to "Mass" with him. I looked at him and sad "What's that?" My wife elbows me in the rib and starts another conversation or whatever. I love it. I'm such a dick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk