Any Bilinguals Out There ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Any Bilinguals Out There ?
Hi!

I've recently decided that I want to get serious about learning another language.
I took a year of German in high school and I have intentions of visiting Germany someday. It also helps that I'm utterly in love with the language as well...

Do you have any tips or stories about learning your second language as an adult?

Also...
Is there anyone on here that speaks German that would like to converse with me? XD
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 02:00 PM
RE: Any Bilinguals Out There ?
Tip: if you want to learn language as fast as possible you have to do two things:
1) read, read, read in German all the time. All kinds of books, different topics.
2)talk, talk, talk to those who speak German.
If you do those two things your German will be almost as good as your English. You will even start to think in German.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 3 users Like Alla's post
16-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Si.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
16-04-2017, 02:18 PM
(16-04-2017 01:30 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Hi!

I've recently decided that I want to get serious about learning another language.
I took a year of German in high school and I have intentions of visiting Germany someday. It also helps that I'm utterly in love with the language as well...

Do you have any tips or stories about learning your second language as an adult?

Also...
Is there anyone on here that speaks German that would like to converse with me? XD

German is my first language. So if you have specific questions, shoot. If you wanna talk, do it. PM me.

As for tips. If you mastered the basics, do something fun. Read, watch movies, try to find people to talk to or have an exchange at some board, stuff like that. And don't be afraid of making mistakes. It's not your first language after all. That's how I really got into english. Not by going to school.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
16-04-2017, 02:18 PM
(16-04-2017 02:00 PM)Alla Wrote:  Tip: if you want to learn language as fast as possible you have to do two things:
1) read, read, read in German all the time. All kinds of books, different topics.
2)talk, talk, talk to those who speak German.
If you do those two things your German will be almost as good as your English. You will even start to think in German.

Do you speak German, Alla?
16-04-2017, 02:19 PM
(16-04-2017 02:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Si.

When did you learn Spanish Full Circle?
16-04-2017, 02:21 PM
(16-04-2017 02:18 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 01:30 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Hi!

Also...

German is my first language. So if you have specific questions, shoot. If you wanna talk, do it. PM me.

As for tips. If you mastered the basics, do something fun. Read, watch movies, try to find people to talk to or have an exchange at some board, stuff like that. And don't be afraid of making mistakes. It's not your first language after all. That's how I really got into english. Not by going to school.

Thank you!!

I have no idea how to form sentences.

I'd say I have a 3 year old's vocabulary. XD
I can name all major colors, count, name family members, some food, rooms inside houses, and a few random words here and there. I need help. XD
16-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Да. Wink

(Bilingual as in my English is, I think (I hope?), as good as my native language. I speak other languages to various degrees of (un)fluency)

(Yeah, I know unfluency isn't a word, okay? Dodgy Tongue )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
16-04-2017, 02:25 PM
(16-04-2017 02:21 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I'd say I have a 3 year old's vocabulary. XD
I can name all major colors, count, name family members, some food, rooms inside houses, and a few random words here and there. I need help. XD

But you have to start somewhere. German has a very different syntax than english. Other than that, I don't think it's that difficult to learn for someone speaking english. Both languages have common roots and many words are either the same, just pronounced differently, or they are at least similar.

I guess, grammar is the biggest obstacle you may run into.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
16-04-2017, 02:28 PM
(16-04-2017 02:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  Да. Wink

(Bilingual as in my English is, I think (I hope?), as good as my native language. I speak other languages to various degrees of (un)fluency)

(Yeah, I know unfluency isn't a word, okay? Dodgy Tongue )

Ooo! Russian is a beautiful language.

I think your English is great. Smile
When did you learn English?