Any Bilinguals Out There ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 02:31 PM
RE: Any Bilinguals Out There ?
(16-04-2017 02:25 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 02:21 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I'd say I have a 3 year old's vocabulary. XD
I can name all major colors, count, name family members, some food, rooms inside houses, and a few random words here and there. I need help. XD

But you have to start somewhere. German has a very different syntax than english. Other than that, I don't think it's that difficult to learn for someone speaking english. Both languages have common roots and many words are either the same, just pronounced differently, or they are at least similar.

I guess, grammar is the biggest obstacle you may run into.

I get a lot of warnings about German's grammar as it compares to English's.
I need as much help as I can get.
Do you have any advice to learning the rules?

I've been playing around with German for a few months and I think my pronunciation is okayish. I also have a pretty good memory so I'm not concerned about vocab and I know about false friends in the language.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 02:31 PM
I'm using Babbel for French right now. You can work as fast or slow as you want, and the subscription is something like $7/month. I also have lots of French books and movies around the house.

I'm a reluctant French learner--not a fan of the language--but even so, Babbel lessons are working pretty well for me so far.
16-04-2017, 02:35 PM
(16-04-2017 02:31 PM)julep Wrote:  I'm using Babbel for French right now. You can work as fast or slow as you want, and the subscription is something like $7/month. I also have lots of French books and movies around the house.

I'm a reluctant French learner--not a fan of the language--but even so, Babbel lessons are working pretty well for me so far.

I took two years of French before I took German...

...I forgot all of it but a few songs, basic greetings and goodbyes, and a few movies that I love.

Have you ever heard of les triplettes de belleville?
It's a mostly silent movie but it's entertaining as hell.
16-04-2017, 02:41 PM
(16-04-2017 02:31 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I get a lot of warnings about German's grammar as it compares to English's.

I'm proficient at using it, of course, but I couldn't explain it. The easiest part is that adjectives and nouns take different positions when constructing a sentence. Not always, but often. But everyone would still understand you if you make that kind of mistake.

A harder part is probably naming something. There's no universal "the" in German, but different words depending on the gender of the person or object. "Der" for male, "Die" (not pronounced like die) for female and "Das" for neutral. To learn which object is what is pretty hard. I know that from learning French, since they use different genders for objects than we do.

Another obstacle is the you in the english language. You don't adress everyone the same. If you don't know them or aren't close, you adress them as "Sie", whereas "Du" is only used for friends or family.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
16-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Get advice from yakherder...he speaks nearly all the languages.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
16-04-2017, 02:46 PM
(16-04-2017 02:41 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 02:31 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I get a lot of warnings about German's grammar as it compares to English's.

I'm proficient at using it, of course, but I couldn't explain it. The easiest part is that adjectives and nouns take different positions when constructing a sentence. Not always, but often. But everyone would still understand you if you make that kind of mistake.

A harder part is probably naming something. There's no universal "the" in German, but different words depending on the gender of the person or object. "Der" for male, "Die" (not pronounced like die) for female and "Das" for neutral. To learn which object is what is pretty hard. I know that from learning French, since they use different genders for objects than we do.

Another obstacle is the you in the english language. You don't adress everyone the same. If you don't know them or aren't close, you adress them as "Sie", whereas "Du" is only used for friends or family.

I always wondered what the difference between Sie and Du was...

I have the most difficult time learning how to use verbs in German sentences.
Would you be interested in talking with me in German after I learn how to use sentences? Big Grin
16-04-2017, 02:46 PM
(16-04-2017 02:35 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 02:31 PM)julep Wrote:  I'm using Babbel for French right now. You can work as fast or slow as you want, and the subscription is something like $7/month. I also have lots of French books and movies around the house.

I took two years of French before I took German...

...I forgot all of it but a few songs, basic greetings and goodbyes, and a few movies that I love.

Have you ever heard of les triplettes de belleville?
It's a mostly silent movie but it's entertaining as hell.

My husband probably has, those French movies in our house are his. He's quite the francophone.

I'm the reverse of you. I took German in high school and spoke it a lot. I spent the spring of my senior year living with my best friend's family. Both parents had been born in Germany, and the first language of the house was German. At this point, though, I've forgotten much of my German.

I'm trying to learn enough French so that I can get around Paris comfortably when I visit next month.
16-04-2017, 02:50 PM
(16-04-2017 02:46 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I have the most difficult time learning how to use verbs in German sentences.
Would you be interested in talking with me in German after I learn how to use sentences? Big Grin

I already offered. PM me.

Sie and Du - you should have some basic understanding of their use if you already learned French. It's the same there. Vous and tu.

But rest assured, I have the same difficulty understanding how native speakers make a distinction between who's close to them and who's not when only the you is available. I think it's more of a cultural than a linguistic thing.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
16-04-2017, 02:52 PM
I have a recent experience of learning a foreign language as an adult (and a language very similar to german actually). I moved to the Netherlands 15 months ago, so I had to learn dutch. To start with learning dutch, I took a subscription at Babbel, I think their website and app are very well done (it's not too boring, and you actually learn and remember what you learned). After finishing the beginner level, I could read a bit texts written in dutch, exchange some sentences with people, but my level was still much too weak for conversing with people, so I always switched to english (dutch are very good in english) which prevented me from getting better. I finally signed in for evening courses, I started last november, it was a lot of personal work (10h/week between the classes and the homework), but I can now read and write much easier and I can have conversation with people, even though I still tend to switch to english each time the conversation becomes too difficult for me.

If you already learned some german in high school, it will come back quite fast when you start learning it again. I studied german in high school, I thought I had forgotten a lot since I hadn't practiced in 15 years (especially as I was quite bad in german), but before choosing to move to the Netherlands, I considered moving to Germany, so I studied it again, and it came back very fast. Even when I learned dutch it helped me a lot, because the languages are very similar.

Do you already know which part(s) of Germany you're planning to visit ?
16-04-2017, 02:52 PM
(16-04-2017 02:50 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 02:46 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  I have the most difficult time learning how to use verbs in German sentences.

I already offered. PM me.

Sie and Du - you should have some basic understanding of their use if you already learned French. It's the same there. Vous and tu.

But rest assured, I have the same difficulty understanding how native speakers make a distinction between who's close to them and who's not when only the you is available. I think it's more of a cultural than a linguistic thing.

Thank you so much! Big Grin